Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best year Beetle for cross country road trip?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Best year Beetle for cross country road trip? Reply with quote

So, a little history first...

When my wife and I got married we were very poor. We never got the chance take a honeymoon and had to jump right back into taking care of our son and working. My wife and I have finally, through hard work and persistence, have finally made it to a point in our lives where we may finally be able to take that honeymoon, just about a decade late.

I've always wanted to fly to the west coast and buy a solid rust-free Beetle and drive it back to my home state of Kentucky, all while hitting the sites and national parks on the way. The wife and I share a love for overland travel as well as Volkswagen's and are very excited about idea of doing so. Now, I'm well aware of the vehicle's shortcomings and need no lecture on how risky the trip could be. But, lets say I could find a well maintained example with an owner gracious enough to let us have an hour or so test drive to make sure they were no issues. Also, comfortable enough with the idea of the car being driven from California, Nevada, Arizona, etc. all the way back to KY.
What would be the best model to take the trip in?
The said criteria would be:
Price
Reliability
Comfort
Personality
Power (If such a word can be uttered when referring to Beetles!)

Now of course, a lot modifications can be made over the years to make an earlier model more powerful etc. I'm partial to 1966, I daily drove one for years and loved it but, have come more open to the idea of something later due to some of the improvements that were made despite what I consider to be less desirable looks than their earlier counterparts (no offense).

Thoughts?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if a later Beetle is more comfortable but I would be more concerned about:
1. Buying something I wanted - year/condition/color/features
2. Something that is in great shape.
An earlier car is in great shape will probably drive better than a later model in poor shape, all other things being equal.

That said, I haven't owned very many Beetles myself but I thought both of the 67s I owned for short periods both drove very well.
They were both fairly well taken care of though.
I know 67s are considered a very good year by a lot of VW Beetle people.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a bus? Yes they can be pricey and very sloooooowwwwww....But where it lacks in speed could possibly make up for in space. Plus campers come with beds and pop-ups. Just my 2 cents. If not I would say a 70 and up bug for the reason that everything might work as they should i.e. Turn signals, brakes, headlights unlike some earlier bugs. Anyway, good luck!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A properly maintained VW in good mechanical condition can make it across the country fine. Slow, and maybe hot (depending on the time of year), but fine.

However, I would not want to take a cross country trip in a car I hadn't shaken out yet. POs never tell you about ALL the problems, and his standards may not fit yours. Sure, it might have been a daily driver for him, but if his drive was 10 minutes then that doesn't tell you how it will do out on the highway.
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I don't know if a later Beetle is more comfortable but I would be more concerned about:
1. Buying something I wanted - year/condition/color/features
2. Something that is in great shape.
An earlier car is in great shape will probably drive better than a later model in poor shape, all other things being equal.

That said, I haven't owned very many Beetles myself but I thought both of the 67s I owned for short periods both drove very well.
They were both fairly well taken care of though.
I know 67s are considered a very good year by a lot of VW Beetle people.

At the end of the day I think you're right. I've owned a 65, 66, and a 70. I've had no experience with Super Beetles etc. Condition is everything. A 67 has been on top of the list though. They seem to be the bridge between the early and late styles. Plus, they have factory 12volt and a more powerful 1500 over the previous 1300.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
What about a bus? Yes they can be pricey and very sloooooowwwwww....But where it lacks in speed could possibly make up for in space. Plus campers come with beds and pop-ups. Just my 2 cents. If not I would say a 70 and up bug for the reason that everything might work as they should i.e. Turn signals, brakes, headlights unlike some earlier bugs. Anyway, good luck!

The reason I haven't considered a bus is the price. I just can't bring myself to pay the top dollar that they are pulling right now. I wish no one had ever seen that Barrett-Jackson episode where the bus went for that crazy figure for the first time. Ever since then people have gone bonkers with the prices. I could make two trips in a Beetle for the price of a rough Bus nowadays.
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
A properly maintained VW in good mechanical condition can make it across the country fine. Slow, and maybe hot (depending on the time of year), but fine.

However, I would not want to take a cross country trip in a car I hadn't shaken out yet. POs never tell you about ALL the problems, and his standards may not fit yours. Sure, it might have been a daily driver for him, but if his drive was 10 minutes then that doesn't tell you how it will do out on the highway.

You make a great point and it's one I will definitely remember. The trip is still in the fetal stages, the back and forth between me and the owner would need to go on for awhile and have every single detail covered.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you're on the right path to buy a rust free bug from the dry SW USA. I see lots of 67's for sale that are in good shape, rust free and priced between 3K and up.

As it was mentioned, you're challenge is to find one that has been thoroughly gone thru mechanically. I have three old VW's that I've gone thru everything mechanically on them. I'd drive across the country tomorrow w/out a second thought or an excessive worry about breaking down.

If you find a solid, well taken care of example of a bug, take it to a known good VW shop for a pre-purchase inspection. You may get lucky and find a seller who's competent and has gone thru all the systems in the car.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug, anything with tall tires. I like IRS bugs better than early ones.

Realistically a '73 Westy.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't put 10,000 local miles on the motor first, and carefully check it out, I would be most comfortable pushing an old 36 HP motor a long distance. They just don't make the power and seem resistant to blowing up or overheating. Of course, you will be taking mountain passes in 2nd gear over in the right lane with the tractor trailer rigs.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your marriage! lol...

If you were in Oz, I would play broker and find/buy a clean original Bug suitable for your intentions, and then liaise with you and go through/service/prepare it to sell it to you ready-to-trek

Hopefully someone (maybe a one-man resto business??) on here can offer to do the same
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who's dream was to buy and drive/camp across country in a westy with the family, all 5 of them. When she told me about it I recommended they fly west and get a rust free camper to drive back to CT. Instead they bought here, drove it there, and flew east. She was stunned by beating thay took on the sale at the end of the trip, not realizing what a Vermonter considers minimal rust has a completely different meaning in California.
If you are not looking for a keeper at the end of the trip I would look to do it in a bus and sell it back east.
If it has to be a beetle at a minimum a 12 volt system car. 6v stuff is usually not sitting in a FLAPS when you need it.
Have someone work with you out there to prep it for your trip home.
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all fantastic points. Thanks for the great feedback. The vehicle I'd be buying wouldn't just be for the trip. I'd like to make it my daily driver after I make it home. No better shakedown run than a trip across the states!

The pre-purchase inspection by a VW mechanic I would say is a must. Speed isn't necessarily an issue seeing as we are wanting to take our time getting home. This will be the first time we've ever spent more than one night away from our kids and may not get the chance to do it again so, no hurry!

I did surprisingly find a couple of buses in California for around $5500 that "looked" decent at least from description and photos but, we all know how that can go. My experience with Beetles goes all the way back to when I was a child, as it does for most of us, so I have more of a love for them than I do Buses. Plus, my familiarity makes it easier to spot a turd most of the time and have the knowledge to see past some patina and a few dents to see the real gem that some of these cars can be.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dependability on the return trip is paramount. You really have to know the vehicle. I have done it with my car. This year 3100 mile round trip, and 2500 last year. Super glad I have great wipers to drive in a full day of rain. You will find dry vehicles out west here. My big concern would be its dependablity, not knowing the vehicles quirks. This weekend gonna attend a show/swap event 200 miles one way and gonna drive car number 3 we own. What am I packing, fuel pump, distributor, cause they to break. Easier to swap out and keep going.
Oh what year is best, the one you know all of its idiosyncrasy. Out three are all 12 V 68 72 73 standards.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a trip with break-downs and challenges will bring you closer together. While it may not be fun at the time, it will be fun in hindsight. My wife and I went camping in one of my first busses that was a total crap wagon. It was drafty, and cold, smelled, and broke down, and we were generally miserable for most of the trip.

It's one of our fondest memories. People are strange that way.

Anyway, my opinion is basically as already stated by others, whatever the best vehicle you can find is the one, no matter the year.

BUT if you happen to be spoiled with choice, I'd go for the later model (68+) personally. The IRS rear/Balljoint front suspension tends to be more accessible & easier to understand to general mechanics (non VW specific folks) along the way than the swing axle and link-pin set up would be, though all of them are reliable if well mantained and properly set up. Parts for the later model will tend to be a little more available. Since VW made progressive refinements over the years you are theoretically getting closer to the pinnacle of the best beetle driving experience as you progress to later years. I've had early 60's cars but recently have been driving a 70s, and I love the early cars, but I have to admit I like the vent/defrost system on the late model and it drives well with a nice gear ratio.

It has the advantage of tending to be cheaper too. Keep part of your wad of cash in your pocket. Don't blow it all on your car. You'll need some money for that second hand trans you'll have to buy in "chicken-picken gulch" and to pay Bubba for shop time to put it in when yours fails (or something along those lines happens).

That's my .02 anyway.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us carry lots of tools, parts, and at least one manual even with our very reliable daily drivers. Take a couple of days in California to shake out the issues where there a lots of parts and expertise before crossing wide expanses. Although your probably should replace the fuel lines and brake lines before you leave California as both of those lead to a disastrous failure. I would not hesitate in the least to do what you are about to do, it will be fun.

There has been some discussion about getting a reliable car long distance. You could hire a mechanic to go look at it and have some assurances that it will at least make it to death valley before it dies. Then send you deposit and make the plane reservations.

And for a shameless plug
The Louisville Classic VW club meets at 7pm tonight 11/03/15 at
Steak and Shake 4545 Outerloop Road in Louisville
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW_Buggsy wrote:
Even a trip with break-downs and challenges will bring you closer together. While it may not be fun at the time, it will be fun in hindsight. My wife and I went camping in one of my first busses that was a total crap wagon. It was drafty, and cold, smelled, and broke down, and we were generally miserable for most of the trip.

It's one of our fondest memories. People are strange that way.

Anyway, my opinion is basically as already stated by others, whatever the best vehicle you can find is the one, no matter the year.

BUT if you happen to be spoiled with choice, I'd go for the later model (68+) personally. The IRS rear/Balljoint front suspension tends to be more accessible & easier to understand to general mechanics (non VW specific folks) along the way than the swing axle and link-pin set up would be, though all of them are reliable if well mantained and properly set up. Parts for the later model will tend to be a little more available. Since VW made progressive refinements over the years you are theoretically getting closer to the pinnacle of the best beetle driving experience as you progress to later years. I've had early 60's cars but recently have been driving a 70s, and I love the early cars, but I have to admit I like the vent/defrost system on the late model and it drives well with a nice gear ratio.

It has the advantage of tending to be cheaper too. Keep part of your wad of cash in your pocket. Don't blow it all on your car. You'll need some money for that second hand trans you'll have to buy in "chicken-picken gulch" and to pay Bubba for shop time to put it in when yours fails (or something along those lines happens).

That's my .02 anyway.

Well put! I have noticed you can get one heck of a car for a decent price if you go 68-up.

We are looking to take the trip in early spring so, we still have plenty of time to look and fine tune all of the details.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the old Beetles are an ideal cross country car..... so pick something you'll enjoy after the trip..

Vw's benefit from constant evolution and improvements as the years progressed.

IMO.. 1966 is one of the best years right out of the box.
Older styling, some refining to suspension, engine, heat (eh') but lack the older window 58-64 looks and lack some of the later (newer) refinements.

Ovals and splits are kool but way over rated and you can NOT see shit out the back glass even though they do "look" the best..
Not ideal at all for driving.

The 67's (and 68's) are the best driving swing axles and are better than the prior years. .. Embarassed .. gosh.. did I actually post that??? shhhhhhhhhh Shhh dont tell nobody..
But have the newer late model look

If you want the best driver of the bunch of tin turds.. choose a CV joint rear (IRS) 69 - 72.. (after that the looks went down hill).

Me..

1962 Ragtop body on a 1970 chassis.. converted to wide 5 lug wheels of course to fake the funk.. .
Best looks, more power, better gearing, ride and handling.. Wink
Install REAL front seats.. and you actually have something ..

In other words.. a mutt.. usually makes the best..

Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to drive a Beetle more than 150 miles on the Interstate, I would pick a 2012 or newer. Wink
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - nothing personal, but let me get this straight - you want to fly to the left coast - buy a 50 year old car and drive cross country........ Unless you really know your way around the car and can get REAL creative jury rigging stuff, you are nuts.

Now - the flip side - you built a car - know it well and it has been gone over from top to bottom, then hell yeah - drive it anywhere. My 65 has only left us sit once in 7 years and 30,000 miles. My wifes 61 was built about 5 years and 10 to 15,000 miles ago. Only one issue - and it was the same with my 65 - new aftermarket fuel pump.

Would not hestitate to drive either across country. But I know both cars VERY well.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: