Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

My goal for this bus is the SST. I'll try to keep this up to date, and do a little catch up right now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is day one at my shop. The bus was in the TX woods for the last 20 years.

Floor to be replaced. I have cut out more this weekend.

This is my way to clean out the heater duct. I used some wire to knock lose the leaves and Pecan shells. I did get good air flow up front.

This item blew out of the duct. Old timers may know what it is, do you?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:

My guess is ... that it is an eraser (the 'wheel' part), used in drafting to erase in straight lines (ie just the drawn line). The other end is a brush, to brush away the bits after erasing.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:

It's an old typewriter eraser.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
silkvw wrote:

It's an old typewriter eraser.

Exactly!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice project, share lots of pics!
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
Old timers may know what it is, do you?

What that is is actually an old Secretary Stress Relief tool marketed to a secret sect of decoders from the Cold War days.

You can use it yourself and fully benefit from it's healing properties if you can find a good fresh sheet of carbon paper.

You will want to roll the wheel several times over the carbon paper to get it saturated with good healing energy. Then, close your eyes and roll in a cross hatch pattern all over your forehead and temples slowly coming down to your cheek bones. After you have rolled all the psychic energies onto your stress spots you want to take the brush part and slowly stroke the karma into your shakra by lightly painting your whole face with ever so soft brush strokes. The brush is also beneficial on ear tissues.

Go out of doors and purchase a Starbucks cold latte with 7 cubes of ice to finish the healing aspects. Of course, back in the "old timers" days they used Chase and Sanborn coffee to "finish" the soothing.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
silkvw wrote:
Old timers may know what it is, do you?

What that is is actually an old Secretary Stress Relief tool marketed to a secret sect of decoders from the Cold War days.

You can use it yourself and fully benefit from it's healing properties if you can find a good fresh sheet of carbon paper.

I was thinking I could enjoy the healing properties by wearing the eraser around my neck on some high quality fish line. Perhaps the stiff brush will cause skin rash at this point.
Thank you BarryL.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Trans is out with the help of my son. Couldn't get axle nuts off, not surprised. Took it to my rebuilder friend, 120 mi. round trip. He said if I wasn't a friend, he wouldn't take it "it's too heavy!". He had to cut one axle nut off. Zero brake parts on one side. It's a big nut, so had been changed out at some time. That's fine with me, and he'll add the 3.88:1 r&p.
Rear bumper is welded on as part of hitch, or I would have taken it off.

joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

2016 is going to be epic weather and you should accelerate your program to be here.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Man, I would like to make it in 2016.
My goal is to drive the 2000mi. there, SST, then drive back 2000mi. So, I want to make sure it's ready and capable of the trip.
All the posts here and the youtube videos have been really encouraging. I'm thankful for all the help.

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

I'm "the son". Smile

What a mug!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Did this bus pop up on craiglist in bastrop for like a day? Is that how you found it? (subscribed to this thread)
👍😃
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

It did pop up. Bala saw it and told me. I called and made the deal.
John Sanders in Bastrop tried to buy it too. Antonio in Houston was watching it too. They were happy that it stayed in TX at least.
Someone in N. Cal called the seller before me and offered $1500.00 more than he was asking, so I had to up my offer.

And, more help from my son. New seal after rust treatment and clear paint. That was a productive day!

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

General Grabber AT2 tires were recommended to me by a fellow bus driver for street and off road. BFG's are great too, but a little pricey.
About a week ago I discovered a large nail in a rear tire on my single cab. The nail had damaged the sidewall on the inside of the tire, so it had to be replaced. I had two wheels painted white and ready for new shoes, so bought the GG AT2's for a trial on the sc. They are 27 x 8.50 x 14.

The new tires are quiet, the sc seems to roll easier, but I found I tend to over correct as I drive. I'm getting used to them, and will buy two more for the bus in the future.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Small VW show and swap meet in Austin today. Many hard to find small bus parts for sale. I bought a few parts I need for the SST bus.

And, a cool surprise gift from my son:

These will look great on the bus! Thanks Bala!

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Very nice! You should be at #nvmbrfst
C.Moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Perfect bus for Shasta Snow trip. Hope to see you in Nor-Cal. in Feb............. If you break-down find me in Willits.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Sweet!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

C.Moore wrote:
Perfect bus for Shasta Snow trip. Hope to see you in Nor-Cal. in Feb............. If you break-down find me in Willits.

Thanks for the invitation. Willits looks like a nice little town. About the size of Elgin, where I live, but we don't have any Redwood trees. I prefer a visit without a break down, but you never know.
How far is Willits from the Shasta Trip route?

G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
General Grabber AT2 tires were recommended to me by a fellow bus driver for street and off road. BFG's are great too, but a little pricey.
About a week ago I discovered a large nail in a rear tire on my single cab. The nail had damaged the sidewall on the inside of the tire, so it had to be replaced. I had two wheels painted white and ready for new shoes, so bought the GG AT2's for a trial on the sc. They are 27 x 8.50 x 14.

The new tires are quiet, the sc seems to roll easier, but I found I tend to over correct as I drive. I'm getting used to them, and will buy two more for the bus in the future.

Awsome bus and good choice in rubber. I think you'll be happy with these tires. I've never done the Shasta trip, but have put many snow and off-road miles on my grabbers. Nice on the pavement too.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: