Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
- very impressive.

That ^^^. I like how you followed the roof curve with the gauges.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
Amazing how you multitask with all the detailed work - very impressive. Love the tractor light housing color and your idea for the removable vintage side step. What did you end up doing with your steering wheel?

Keep on it - SST awaits!

Thanks!
I bought some used tractor lights locally. There are 3 or 4 used tractor yards near here, so I go shopping from time to time.
I think the step will help, and seems to look some what like an accessory.
I used epoxy putty on the steering wheel after I found most of the missing parts. Then sanded and painted with Rustoleum paint. Some of the finish on the steering wheel on my single cab has worn off and when it's humid, my hands get black from the wheel. I hope the paint on this will prevent that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More lights. I think I have been paying $10 or $15 a light.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
rennie wrote:
- very impressive.

That ^^^. I like how you followed the roof curve with the gauges.

Thanks!
I tried to follow a temp cardboard piece in the roof. I'll make some wood roof panels in the future. If I make another gauge pod in the future, I'll make it match the curve better.

I also welded in the seat supports. The seat frames I got with the bus are in poor shape. I left them with my welder friend to repair them. He has done this before, I haven't, so I wanted it done right.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Hey dudes! Cool
bus looking good!

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Mr. Electric Wizard wrote:
Hey dudes! Cool
bus looking good!

Thanks Eric! I'm tryin.

I bought a bunch on bus parts last weekend, some I needed, most are up for sale. A couple of church keys were included.

I have never seen one like the long one on the right. Any ideas? All of them are steel. I like the long one, just because it's different.
Yes, I did a samba search and didn't find a long key.

I started work on the passenger door window. Rusty bolts are so much fun! Broken drill bits, so got out the Dremel with a grinding stone and ground off the bolt head.

Hard to see and hard to get to, but it's off now. Clean up, paint and new seals and new bolts tomorrow.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

I think the long key is non-VW and for something else... maybe an actual Church. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I think the long key is non-VW and for something else... maybe an actual Church. Smile

Thanks Everett. It may just become a wall hanger.

I got all the seals on the passenger side door window, used all new bolts to install it, and a very thin coat of sealer on the top of the door. I have had water leaks on my single cab, so tried to get everything water tight.
I used Thompsons Water seal on the back of the old panel, I hope this works too. And some left over Tyvec in the door.

This dried really quick, so I may give it another coat today.

chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
. Wow! That key is deep enough to work for the rear cargo/engine access doors on my 54 Flxible Visicoach bus, been using a custom bent flat blade screwdriver.....
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
For what it's worth, here is a close up of the headlight that fit.

For Matt longboardluv, here is a couple of photos of the mud flaps on the rear. Just bolted to what was there and didn't use the L bracket included.

I did cut a small notch in the mud flap so it mounted further toward the outside of the bus body.

Hope this helps.

So it turns out that these mud flaps we got are beetle, the flaps are all the same but the brackets are what give it away. I'll either have to modify the brackets I got or just mount them like you've done here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maddog125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Sweet build! I'd love to build a Shasta bus one day. Looking forward to progress!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

maddog125 wrote:
Sweet build! I'd love to build a Shasta bus one day. Looking forward to progress!

You're a lot closer to Mt. Shasta than I am, so I hope you can make it too!

I'm still working, and still waiting for the engine to be complete.

I did buy a battery and install it. Strap needed to be longer, so made a little bracket and bolted it together. Then checked to see if lights and things worked. One headlight not working, but everything else seems ok. Even gave the starter a spin.

Door latches are being cleaned and welded up this week.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Picked up my engine yesterday. Heard it run, sounds good. It's 78mm x thick wall 92mm 2074cc

I need to gather a few bits and pieces to complete it soon, and then install it. I have been trying to decide which exhaust will give me the most ground clearance. And if I can install a 1 1/2 qt. oil sump and still have enough ground clearance.

Another little project I'm working on.

I have to make bulb holders and seals. I'll install them on the roof at the rear of the bus. I really want more running lights than just the small stock ones.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

I've been working off and on with the bus. Busy for a few days to be ready for family here last weekend.
My welder friend is working on the seats. Rusty metal replacement. Seat back is ready, so I painted it today.

I got a reasonable price from a shop in town, so he will do the pad and cover while I install the engine. He will use a little different material than the usual kits.
It's been taking a long time to get all the parts I need to get the engine all together. But, I feel like I'm close now.

Some of the bus parts I bought included a door panel and kick panels. So I cleaned them up, painted Thompsons water seal on the back side and shellac on the outside. I still need to find a drivers side door panel. But I did get the door latch repaired and installed.

I made a notch for the new fuse block on the passenger side, and lowered the notch on the drivers side.

joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

There are still 63 days until SST XVII and your bus is looking great!
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
There are still 63 days until SST XVII and your bus is looking great!

Oh, I'm counting the days. I think I'm in good shape for SST. I want to do a test trip to Big Bend State Park leaving on Dec. 26th.
Right now I don't even have a seat to sit on and drive!

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Really looking forward to seeing this, George. Mighty nice work.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Really looking forward to seeing this, George. Mighty nice work.

Thanks Dan! I really want to see it in Marathon, in front of your house..........or in the alley.

I'm at a stopping point on the engine, waiting for parts and my welder friend. So, did some work today on the interior Baltic Birch panels. I didn't like the stain I used on the very first panel......too dark. So, it came off, and will use the other side elsewhere. Two pieces cut out for the drivers side.

One for the passenger side, sanded and ready for a clear sealer.

And, I wanted some wood to protect the insulation on the rear floor above the engine. I have a bay cushion, I think I'll have a cover made for it and use back there.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

The engine is in. Thanks to my son's help last weekend.

Several things to connect at this point.

I'm working on the panel install too. I made a small tool to help locate existing holes. I think Northern Freight sells them.

I did a second coat of polyurethane on the 7 panels I have so far tonight. I was tired, and will take a photo tomorrow.
More work has been done on the engine, very close to starting it up.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

The hole locating tool I made didn't work too well on the larger holes. But, I got started installing most of the panels.

Today was a great day! One year and one month since I bought the bus and decided it was a Shasta Snow Trip bus, and the engine is in the bus and running.
I'll try tomorrow to see if the bus will move under it's own power. Need to fill the trans and install a throttle cable. I still don't have a seat, but pillows will work for a test drive.

fuel pressure was too high, so need to adjust that. Do a little tuning, oil filter install, apron and bumper.

joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

This year is all new but in past "dust bowl" years the dual carb guys have had lots of problems with air cleaners clogging up, You should add all the sand/dune buggy prefilters you can over the top of your k&n style filters. Best would be dual carb oil bath air cleaners but those may be hard to find on short notice.
We are going to have so much fun on Shasta all your work will be so worth it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 20

Jump to: