Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropped bolt
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

Today was a day to install engine hood, until I dropped one of the 10 mm hinge bolts into the engine compartment on (right) passenger side. Looked high a low, used magnet under crank pulley, in and around intake manifold, as well as behind fan shroud. I currently don't have the throttle ring installed, as I don't have a thermostat as of yet.

I started engine to pull car into garage and can hear the bolt making "clinking" noise when contacting a rotating part of the engine. I think its impossible for the bolt to have entered the internal part of the engine ??, so I have been concentrating my search on the crank pulley area. If it entered the rear opening of the fan shroud(possible) then my only option would be to drop the engine, remove fan shroud and check around the fan.

Any other ideas ??

Tom
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the bolt entered the fan shroud. The fan shroud can be removed with the engine in the car. It will be easier with your hood already off. Disconnected battery, label and remove wires from generator, remove 2 bolts from either side of the shroud, and lift out.
-Mike
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be caught between the crank pulley and the pulley sheet metal on the engine side of the pulley. The sheet metal could keep you from seeing it.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the fan belt off briefly and see if noise stays or disappears. Disappears means in the fan shroud.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Great input, thanks

I will pull fan belt briefly first.

Stay tuned!

Tom
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost a bolt once in the 914 car, evidently it made its way into the heat exchanger, likely via the fan. I later found my drivers side heat would not turn off. the heater valve would not shut off even with the cable disconnected! I pulled the valve off and the pesky bolt fell out, it was blocking the spring loaded valve from closing all the way. find the bolt as it could do a good deal of damage if left in the fan, if it ends up bending the fan it can throw the balance off.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Pulled fan belt Reply with quote

With fan belt off, noise persists, meaning the bolt wouldn't be in the fan shroud housing. yah?

The fan and generator are driven off the crank pulley; so that means bolt is hitting crank pulley? I pulled the front tin but no bolt. I will walk away and try again later.

First snow fall today, light but a reminder winter is near.

Tom
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled fan belt Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
With fan belt off, noise persists, meaning the bolt wouldn't be in the fan shroud housing. yah?

The fan and generator are driven off the crank pulley; so that means bolt is hitting crank pulley? I pulled the front tin but no bolt. I will walk away and try again later.

OK, Tom, you've determined from this that the noise is not due to anything in the fan shroud, that's a good start.

I think the bolt might be hidden between the front side of the crankshaft pulley, wedged in with the front tin. I say front, that's front of VW, so the side hidden from you as you look at it.

One can always remove the crankshaft pulley bolt with the engine still installed, and then pull the pulley off, and do the same 30-second test if that bolt doesn't simply drop out then. You may need to grind a big socket "shorter" depending on your exhaust. I can't remember if this is a 27mm, 30mm, or 32mm socket because I've got all three, and more !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: dropped bolt Reply with quote

Update

Have not found bolt as f yet; have pulled rear tin off around crank pulley but no bolt. I guess I will try pulling pulley with engine in car,

Need opinions, there is no way the bolt could enter the bell housing with fan shroud and tins in place, is there?

Do not want to run the engine if there is a danger of damage to engine.

Tom
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: dropped bolt Reply with quote

There is no path into the bell housing section for a wayward bolt. Your bolt is probably behind the crank pulley next to the crankcase.They seem to find a way to wedge in there out of sight.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply; I'm going to try to remove pulley in-situ. Will any pulley remover work, or is there one with a low depth profile, as there isn't a lot of room between engine and rear apron.

Tom
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7013

Caution this type of puller if used incorrectly can and will bend the pulley. Much better to use the correct puller with arms that go into pulley cut outs. Yes it costs more but it's the one you see in the factory manuals. I've seen a lot of pulleys ruined using the Chinese empi tool. It's a piece of shit.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the responses and input, I will consider my options and buy a puller this week.

Tom
gimpy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

You did have an air cleaner in place, DIDN'T YOU?
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

Air cleaner was in place
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

Well I'm back to square one with the "rattle noise" from engine. I pulled the motor and found the pressure plate collar had come loose from plate itself. Got replacement pressure plate installed and put engine back in bug.

After some timing issues I fired up the engine today. The noise is still there so I shutdown immediately.

I am second guessing my self now. Is it possible that if I did not have the air cleaner on when I dropped the bolt, would it somehow enter the intake and lodge in one of the cylinders ? When I pulled the engine, I checked for the bolt around the crank pulley, pulled the fan shroud and no bolt appeared in either location. I also pulled the carb and sent it away for throttle shaft bushing work.

When I ran the engine today, I had the clutch fully depressed, so I wonder if that eliminates any possibility that the clutch is causing the noise ? I have rough set the clutch adjustment, but probably needs additional adjustment.

Tom Sad
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

That kinda sucks, I feel your pain man.

A broken clutch arm return spring could be causing some noise; that's fairly easy to check: look on the driver's side of the car to where the clutch cable meets the clutch arm on the transmission, the return spring is wrapped around the arm and is pretty visible. While you're there, you can also check clutch adjustment Laughing .

By the way, are you sure the noise is from a bolt that fell somewhere, or could it be caused by some other defect in the engine (so not the lost bolt or clutch adjustment related)?

Bear in mind that it's difficult for us here on TheSamba.com to really effectively trouble-shoot if we don't actually hear the sound coming from your engine. May be you could have a friend with an aircooled VW come over and look at /listen to your engine? Two might know more than one Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

Depending on your available time and finances, this might be a good time to buy a cheap camera with the flexible tip, and pull the spark plugs for a look.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-62359.html
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped bolt Reply with quote

I'll inspect and adjust the clutch first, really don't want to go there if the pressure plate or worse has let go. The sound seems to be due to something pinging off a rotating part (flywheel, clutch plate, fan, etc)

I may try running briefly again with the fan belt off, to localize the issue. I did install thermostat, and throttle ring, and turned fan by hand after mounting the fan housing.

The camera to scope it isn't a bad idea either.

Motor is rebuilt with less than 20 miles on it so really don't want to damage it in any way !

Tom Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: