Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

912 CV joints
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: 912 CV joints Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have just removed the engine, gearbox and CV joints on my 68 912 and while checking the CV joints they are pretty hard to move.

I'm used to see the beetle and bus CV joints which move nice and smooth back and forth or can be set under an angle easily, while with the 912 CV joints you really need to push hard to move them from complete in to complete out, or push them under an angle as they would be under teh car.

I cleaned and took apart one joint and the balls are pretty tight in the middle cage, they do not roll freely?

How is this CV supposed to feel? hard to move, or pretty easy to move?

Looking at new ones, it seems they only sell them as a full assembly of 2 joints and the axle. these joints are not available separately?

Thx!
Peter
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grease becomes waxy with age and makes the joints stiff. If they are "dry" after cleaning, they can certainly seem stiff. I'd lubricate them lightly with oil and see if they don't move more freely before condemning them.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesatanicmechanic wrote:
The grease becomes waxy with age and makes the joints stiff. If they are "dry" after cleaning, they can certainly seem stiff. I'd lubricate them lightly with oil and see if they don't move more freely before condemning them.

The ones I cleaned I did apply a tiny bit of the CV joint grease on them to see if this would make them move more freely, and I can move them bit still it requires a lot of effort.
When I take a beetle one is moves easily (holding the CV joint with 2 fingers) from all in to all out position. With teh 912 ones I really need to force the outer cage either in or out...

What I do not get really is that these balls are so tight in the middle cage? they should all be rolling freely I would think, or what is teh use of having them there? and they are not doing that... they roll freely with 1 installed in teh middle of that oval slot, it seems when all 6 are in they block each-other?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thanks
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These can be tricky to put back together properly. There is a wrong way to do it that will result in them being very stiff. Lesson learned from experience. I would check them with one that hasn't been dismantled to make sure you have the wide and narrow spacing correct. (I think I recall that is were my problem came from).
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt912 wrote:
These can be tricky to put back together properly. There is a wrong way to do it that will result in them being very stiff. Lesson learned from experience. I would check them with one that hasn't been dismantled to make sure you have the wide and narrow spacing correct. (I think I recall that is were my problem came from).

Smile indeed! found as well that you can re-assemble them, but then they are completely blocked! not moving at all then...
so re-assembled in what should be the right way, they are just stiff.

still think it is due to those bearingballs being stuck once all 6 are in, but I do not see any other way those can be installed differently so probably they are as they should be?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 912 CV joints Reply with quote

http://www.californiaperformance.com/cv_assembly.htm

http://www.californiaperformance.com/cv_clocking.htm
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com

Last edited by gears on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 CV joints Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Left is correct, right is not.

(had some joints on the workbench)
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: 912 CV joints Reply with quote

Great link and pics! thanks!

reading through the link i read:

"1. The cage opening is slightly larger on one side. The large side is the side you install the star gear from, it barely fits.

2. Before you put the ball bearings in, put the star in the outer case. Then insert the ball bearings in by twisting the star gear within the outer case to expose the bearing race opening. If the star doesn't move freely after you install each ball bearing, you've assembled it wrong. If this happens you likely have the star clocked one cog off. Take the balls out and reclock the star, moving the star one cog either direction."

so If I got it right this talks about the inner splined star and the middle cage and that these also have a specific rotation relative to each-other?
Maybe this explains why after I inserted the 6 balls, these balls seems to be blocked and not rolling anymore and why the inner star is harder to move around in the middle cage (it does move with some force, would not call it freely though).

Will need to try to take out all 6 balls again, and rotate that star with 1 psoition and see if it makes a difference!

BTW. on that #1: i did not remove the star from that inner ball carrier yet... it seemed not to work but reading this there should be a way to get that out?

THANKS for all the help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: