Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Marin-Sonoma contacts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Ainsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Marin-Sonoma contacts Reply with quote

I'm starting from scratch with zero knowledge. Anybody in Marin-Sonoma counties want to serve as my support group while I start a makeover on my '55 Bug? I pay in microbrewed beer.
Frankenbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just missed me. I moved out of Satan Rosa about 6 months ago.

There are about 30 clubs in your area though. I think the nearest and biggest is actually in Petaluma. I'll try to hunt up some info for you.

Tram wrote:
That explains it. Jihad supplies ain't cheap! Very Happy

)'(
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been to Viking auto in down town Novato? I used to live there.Sven knows VWs very well he is a good mechanic also Smile .Brian is also very helpfull there I now live in Fairfield but i still go there for stuff. Sven knows a good trany builder ,I had him rebuild my trany from axle to axle he did a nice job.Sven helped me build my engine and get it diald in. I have done a lot of stuff my self but some things are over my head.I pulled the body off the pan and had a body shop replace the floors both full lengths they did a dam good job to bad there no longer in buiseness.Also replaced brake lines,stearing box.master cyl.At that time it was my only car so I put the body back on it and got it running.I,d get a John Muir book(how to keep your volkswagen alive) and what ever you do take you,r time and go threw what ever area your working so you don,t have to do it again.my car is a 63 so ther are some things on your car that are different than mine.What do you want to do with your car? good luck Smile bk63
Brent Ainsworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: marin-sonoma cont. Reply with quote

Yeah, I have been to Viking and Brian (a neighbor of mine) is certainly willing to help. But if I don't have the time or knowledge to do stuff myself, I'm not sure who to farm it out to. I've talked with Bob Sr. and the Bug Stop in Martinez and, frankly, it scared me when he was talking about how much it would cost for a total off-pan restoration ($20K). Realistically, I can probably only spend $5000 or so, but I'm quickly learning that the rebuilt engine done professionally will cost me almost half of that. Sobering reality, man. Anyway, I'm still willing to yank the engine and send it to the Bug Stop or the Volks Authority in San Jose, then make an attempt to get the rest of the car done by somebody else closer to home. I'll talk more to Brian.
bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i bought mine i thought it would be a cheap first car.I was alittle overwelmed when i got more in to it.The pan was easyer than i thought i never thought i would do that though it was the only way to do it wright.I spent alot of hours by my self cleaning wirewheeling and painting I paid a body shop $450.00 to replace the full floors it was well worth it no patches Smile .Once you take the body off the frame every thing is easy to get to.I put my body up on work horses it took two people on both sides of the car (frount and rear )to take it off.Are you trying to go all original ? also are you trying to get the original engine (36 horse rebuilt) ? .I think its harder to find all those engine parts.Sven could probably build a 1600 with his eyes closed Wink .Rick Eikler (im not sure about the spelling) Does every thing with VWs engines,tranys and some realy nice paint jobs .Im not sure if they still deal with him he has had a couple of cars in the magazines. Ofcorse its not cheap and it will take a wile but somtimes you get what you pay for.I have over $6,000 into mine and i have,nt started body work yet .I also need to find a good body shop i want to make sure that they know VWs before they touch it .A 55 would be a nice ride check out kustom koach werks web site ( i think thats it) and look at ther project oval Cool it will get you all pumped up.Talk to you latter bk63
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: