Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Marc's Tow'd Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

I have started on Marc's Tow'd. He dropped it off to me a while ago. I had hoped to start it long ago but with the shop move, new job, event, etc it has taken me longer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it is when he got it.

[url]

He removed the trailer fenders before he dropped it off.

He also sold the hood and ordered a new hood, front fenders, rear fender and hood brace from Winnie at Meyers Manx.

I wanted to start on the tub since it needs fiberglass work. (imagine that)

You can see a hole above the pedal assembly.

This was done by previous owner to make room for a master cylinder reservoir to be mounted directly to cylinder. (All I could think of)

Paul Mabin took Tow'd apart and unfortunately I did not take any pictures so I will start with this repair.

You can see the pedal bracket sticking out of the tub.

From the other side with large hole above bracket that would allow water, dirt, sand etc to enter the footwell area.

I started be removing the modified pedal bracket.

I had a new bracket made to match the original.

I tested the fit after welding it to shifter bracket.

I then prepped the body for glass work. I ground out holes and got pedal hole ready for glass.

I covered the bracket with wax paper so the fiberglass would not stick to it. Also this gave me a structure to support the glass cloth when I build up the area and fill in the hole.

Here is bracket installed.

Taped up front and back.

I put 2 layers of 6 oz cloth down.

I also filled other holes and then put a layer of cloth on top to give the repair some structure/stability.

Will post progress as it happens. "Action and Drama"

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

... is it done yet? Laughing

bnc
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

It takes a LOT more time than that!
He should be done by lunch tomorrow.. lol

Keep the pics coming! Plenty of Manxes - and copies - but there aren't to many of these Tow'ds Down Under Smile
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

At least by quitting time friday...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I have a fulltime job now and will not be as fast as I was.

Maybe 2 weeks Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
Thanks guys, I have a fulltime job now and will not be as fast as I was.

Maybe 2 weeks Wink

It's a shame that the pesky full-time job gets in the way of more important matters... Wink

bnc
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Looking Good

2015 Manx Over the Falls – Buffalo New York

Buffalo, New York
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Marc!

Made a little progress. 12/2

Working on filling the holes where pedal assembly went. It will not line up with new bracket.

From back after tape was removed.

Built up with 3 layers of matt.

Added a few layers of matt to the backside to lock repair from both sides.

Repaired the hole in the package tray/storage area.

Finished buildup and repair on hole in pedal area.

Sanded the first filler layers and put on top filler. Will sand that and on to high build primer.

Vince
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Vince:

The work looks great!

Bryan
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:

You can see a hole above the pedal assembly.

This was done by previous owner to make room for a master cylinder reservoir to be mounted directly to cylinder. (All I could think of)

I know a couple Tow'ds which have had the pedal box moved forward out through the body to gain a couple extra inches of leg room
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Looks good Vince. I really like using the masking tape, or duct tape as an initial "form" to get a repair started, then the repair can be shaped very easily from that. Also, I like to "sandwich" the repair, I think adds long term strength to the repair.

What will the final color be?

This build, Rebecca's, Stephanie's, Lori Ann's, Mark and Donna's blue race Tow'd have given me the Tow'd fever. The only remedy I have found that helps ease it was to start gathering parts for mine. Hope to start mine after I finish Roy's Manx. It will be hard to wait that long.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

That's a nice looking buggy and looks like your doing a great rebuild.

Quick question as I am new to fiberglass work, your patches, you don't put resin out to the edges of cloth or matte, is there a reason you wouldn't resin it right to the edge. I have some work to do on mine next year and need to learn.

Thanks
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Joe.
I agree, I sandwich all repairs over 1/4". The final color will be Sky Blue/Robin's Egg Blue. Tow'ds are everywhere. Wink Looking forward to your build!

ve7kilohertz
I am actually only covering the area that I want to repair. (area that is ground out) Wetting out any more just makes for more sanding. By doing it this way you know you will cover the repair completely instead of trying to cut out cloth or matt the EXACT size of the repair.

Here is a thread that might be helpfull to you. (worst body I have worked on)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=515365&highlight=

Vince
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Nelson
I have seen those modifications as well. I am pretty sure this was done to allow room for an attached reservoir to the master cylinder. The pedal assy was not really moved at all.

Vince
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
Nelson
I have seen those modifications as well. I am pretty sure this was done to allow room for an attached reservoir to the master cylinder. The pedal assy was not really moved at all.

Vince

Good point
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Looking Good Vince , Looks Like you are building it for yourself ! love how you take pride in your work !
Let me know if you need anything !
Marc

2015 Manx Over the Falls – Buffalo New York

Buffalo, New York
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Updates?? Really wanting to see this one!
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, I am waiting for the weather to break. Should be very soon. I am working on a way to attach the hood without using the pins that go through the hood. Marc and I are looking for a clean look for the hood.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
Thanks Brian, I am waiting for the weather to break. Should be very soon. I am working on a way to attach the hood without using the pins that go through the hood. Marc and I are looking for a clean look for the hood.

I am beginning to think the hood attachment thing is a common change item. I too want to mount mine different for not only the clean look, but more rattle free ride.

Looking forward for weather to break here too. I have lots of paint to get done too.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Marc's Tow'd Restoration Reply with quote

Vince,

I have been giving the mounting of the hood some thought as well. I need to redo my hood and am considering options. My thoughts on this are two slide in tongue bracket down at the nose but mounted to the top torsion bar to keep the hood from twisting and then a glassed in stud up towards the instrument cluster in one place that has the wing nut or similar quick fastener inverted and inside the hood area. The key will be keeping the hood under tension to minimize rattling.

The other thought was an angled bracket with quick pull pins that would catch the upper portion of the hood instead of a wing nut and bolt.

When I get a chance I will sketch it up and post...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: