Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should i pay?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Should i pay? Reply with quote

let me get you guys a bit in context. I'm not gonna name the company, since it's not really a jab at them ;

i placed an order today for some parts. A few hours later, i get an email from the VP saying that i have a due balance for unpaid duty. Here's the email ;

Back in 2006 we shipped you two orders, xxx and xxx and you were to pay the duties and brokerage fees which you did not pay. FedEx billed us $68.13 and $51.35 for these orders so you owe us $119.48. We will not ship the new order you placed until these fees are paid to us. We sent you a letter in 2006 explaining that FedEx attempted to contact you three times to pay these fees and got no response from you so, in turn, we were billed. Please provide us with a credit card so we may charge this amount.

I'm a bit surprised by all this, especially since most delivery company won't let you get your package unless you pay due fees. It's been over 9 years, so there's not really any way for me to find out if i paid or not (especially since it was delivered at my dad's house).

Should i pay and trust their word for it? I feel like i should, but also that its a bit of a stretch to ask for something 9 years later... kinda like asking my ex to pay back for the appartment i paid in full while we were living together, 12 years laters.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

So you knew at the time of two orders you were supposed to pay a duty, but aren't sure you did? Sounds like they have proof of the transaction and you didn't think they would hold you to it. If you want to do further business with them- man up and pay what you owe- or prove you paid already.

I kept an open file at a previous job for years because of the exact same thing. People who agreed to pay but didn't. You can always find another vendor if having scruples and pride aren't your thing.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

I see nowhere that he admits he knew he had to pay anything...till the package was dropped, that is...

if they have proof of a certified letter, I would own it and pay. if they don't, shame on them for paying...that's bad business. they should not have paid a penny till they were compensated. or they should have held the merchandise at their place till you paid.

in God we trust, all others pay cash

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

So it went from the order dept. to a VP in a few hours. The says there is a flag in their system for you. Flags don't get there by accident. If it is a reputable company and you really don't remember I would tend to cough it or some negotiated amount up if you want to do business with them.
The fact that they may have paid fed ex has more to do with them keeping fed ex as a shipper.
My question would by why did you the seller not send me a letter then saying hey we covered your duty and you owe us x.

I used to work for a guy who would not bill clients forever and then get all butt hurt when cllients would tell him to eff off as the bill was for work done two years earlier and the accounting for that year was closed out, but here is the check for the work you are doing for us right now.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

Have them send copies proving you owe it, and then do to right thing and take care of any money you owe.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
.....The fact that they may have paid fed ex has more to do with them keeping fed ex as a shipper.
My question would by why did you the seller not send me a letter then saying hey we covered your duty and you owe us x.......

That's what I was thinking, Fedex is notorious for tacking on substantial "duty and import" fees after the fact when shipping from the US to Canada, how they failed to collect it really isn't the sellers responsibility. Unless there was some hidden clause in a contract the seller signed saying they pay for Fedex's fuc*ups the package shouldn't have been released to the customer until the charges were paid.

I really can't say which way I'd go with this, but if the seller failed to inform you of potential extra charges before you clicked on "pay now" then it's really up to them to eat thier mistake and take it up with Fedex.
(Not a lawyer, but I watched one on TV once)

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

enkiel wrote:

Back in 2006 we shipped you two orders, xxx and xxx and you were to pay the duties and brokerage fees which you did not pay. FedEx billed us $68.13 and $51.35 for these orders so you owe us $119.48. We will not ship the new order you placed until these fees are paid to us. We sent you a letter in 2006 explaining that FedEx attempted to contact you three times to pay these fees and got no response from you so, in turn, we were billed. Please provide us with a credit card so we may charge this amount.

They twice say FedEx billed them, but never said they paid. Maybe it can be assumed they paid, but I don't like it. If they were responsible for collecting duties from you, that should have been part of the original price. If not, as mentioned, it is between you and FedEx, and they shouldn't have given you the goods until the duty was paid.

And what the heck is a brokerage fee? I just learned in my employer's required anti-corruption training that those kind of terms are a red flag.

Pay their extortion if you have no other way to get the parts, but I would be inclined to tell them to pound sand.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

Geez 9 years ago? You'd think they would have sent it to collections and been done with it. I'd have them show you proof that THEY paid fedex. All they said is they got billed for it, not that they actually paid anything. If in fact they did pay for you screw up I'd man up and pay the $119.

Or give a friend the money and have them order the parts under a their name and credit card.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
So you knew at the time of two orders you were supposed to pay a duty, but aren't sure you did? Sounds like they have proof of the transaction and you didn't think they would hold you to it. If you want to do further business with them- man up and pay what you owe- or prove you paid already.

I kept an open file at a previous job for years because of the exact same thing. People who agreed to pay but didn't. You can always find another vendor if having scruples and pride aren't your thing.

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Geez 9 years ago? You'd think they would have sent it to collections and been done with it. I'd have them show you proof that THEY paid fedex. All they said is they got billed for it, not that they actually paid anything. If in fact they did pay for you screw up I'd man up and pay the $119.

Or give a friend the money and have them order the parts under a their name and credit card.

What is easier for the vendor? Taking it to collections, Or just not doing business with consumers who don't pay?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
I'd have them show you proof that THEY paid fedex. All they said is they got billed for it, not that they actually paid anything.

What do you think the odds are that they didn't pay the bill from FedEx and that FedEx just let it go?

You don't pay a bill, your're cut off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

2006 ? WTF I smell a scam .

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
2006 ? WTF I smell a scam .
sort of smells to me too. be sure you are dealing with the company you think you are and not a "fake". then..figure outhow this happened and why and if it realy did or it's in erroir. then it's up to you.and start driving over the border.....
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I see nowhere that he admits he knew he had to pay anything...till the package was dropped, that is...

Okay, show of hands among Canadians. Who orders parts regularly from the US and doesn't know about duty fees?

See, that's how I know he was aware. Cool

He needs to man up. If a clerk in a store hands you too much change (duties fees overlooked), do you hand it back? Or do you pocket it, and let the clerk get reamed for the till being short? Do you then expect that same clerk later to not recall where the change went?

Remember, he did this to the shipper twice. He knew, but hoped they'd forget about it or write it off.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Okay, show of hands among Canadians. Who orders parts regularly from the US and doesn't know about duty fees?

Depends on where the parts were made. Many of the parts I buy are made in USA and there is no duty. I pick them up across the line and drive them back. Sometimes I have to pay the tax but never duty.
If ordering parts by mail use USPS and there is no brokerage fee. You will have to pay tax when you get the package.
I've never paid duty on auto parts but if they were made outside the USA I think it's meant to be 8%.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

See, that's how I know he was aware. Cool

He needs to man up. If a clerk in a store hands you too much change (duties fees overlooked), do you hand it back? Or do you pocket it, and let the clerk get reamed for the till being short? Do you then expect that same clerk later to not recall where the change went?

Remember, he did this to the shipper twice. He knew, but hoped they'd forget about it or write it off.

You say the very things that I am too timid to say. Embarassed
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

The shipper would have written off that charge years ago.

FedEx has shown up here with no prior notification asking for $$ with the shipment. They aren't real good or diligent about contacting people by phone... UPS on the other hand...
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i pay? Reply with quote

Was the VP a Nigerian prince? you should always pay Nigerians..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: