Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Soak the rubber bumpers in glycerin to soften them back up.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Soak the rubber bumpers in glycerin to soften them back up.

Thanks for the tip i will try that. That might work on the roller cabinet wheel too. There are a few others in this camper that can use some softening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Roller cabinet wheel is a vintage "clay" wheel so it should not soften up. It was designed with non-marring of the floor in mind.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Outstanding job on the cabinets, thanks for sharing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Very nice work. Its always good to see the right person at the right time savaging what they can on any old bus. Keep up the good work! Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

^^Thank you all for the tips and encouragement! I think one of the hardest things for me on this project is where to draw the line-what should be fixed, what is ok to leave as is. My slightly obsessive self Laughing wants it all to look perfect, but i'm learning to love the character and originality of what has survived all these years later. Tips, comments, constructive criticism are all welcome and encouraged! Thanks for looking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
^^Thank you all for the tips and encouragement! I think one of the hardest things for me on this project is where to draw the line-what should be fixed, what is ok to leave as is. My slightly obsessive self Laughing wants it all to look perfect, but i'm learning to love the character and originality of what has survived all these years later. Tips, comments, constructive criticism are all welcome and encouraged! Thanks for looking.

I'm the same way with my Westy as its mostly original inside. I try to keep things working well functionally and using OG replacement parts in better condition when I need to actually replace something. My floor is original and in decent shape so I can't bring myself to replace it even though the obsessive in me thinks it needs to be perfect (it has a few holes and is separating in a few spots).

Greg and Clara seem to do a good job along these lines so I try to follow their outline. I think preservation vs. restoration is key.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Curious what type of finish you are using on your cabinets?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Very nice work. Its always good to see the right person at the right time savaging what they can on any old bus. Keep up the good work! Cool

Yes, we all need to see more savaging of buses! Laughing
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
My floor is original and in decent shape so I can't bring myself to replace it even though the obsessive in me thinks it needs to be perfect (it has a few holes and is separating in a few spots).

I can relate! While cleaning up the cab area I was afraid to remove the seat stand mats because they are a bit brittle and I knew the only safe way to scrub them was left in place where they are form-fitted. A friend came by and nicely reminded me that WW makes re-pops. Smile Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by oakman on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
While cleaning up the cab area I was afraid to remove the seat stand mats because they are a bit brittle and I knew the only safe way to scrub them was left in place where they are form-fitted. A friend came by and nicely reminded me that WW makes re-pops. Smile

Glycerin will help soften those up also. Actually any flexible rubber, plastic, vinyl, etc. will do better and last longer if used at least once a year, for hot weather areas probably twice a year.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

I have tried a few different methods on scrap paneling (not from this bus) and this is what i found to be a good method. After a piece is scraped clean of the old finish, I put a light coat of the "Zinser shellac" brand clear. It has a slight amber tint to it that seems to really bring the grain back to life. It dries quickly but I let it dry overnight usually. Give it a light sanding before applying the first coat of the poly-clear. This takes a little longer to dry, I leave it to dry overnight at least, light sanding and repeat 2 more times. The poly clear seems to me a true clear without darkening a bit more with each coat like the shellac. Shellac is approved to be used as a sealer/base coat beneath polyurethane, according to the can at least.

The spray cans have worked good so far, the poly clear lays down really nice and flat with absolutely no spray lines visible once it's settled and dry. I take the nozzles off and clean them in paint thinner after each use to keep from clogging.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I sampled high gloss, semi-gloss and satin finishes but ended up going with semi-gloss. It looks to be close to what was used originally like here in the back of the Emka cabinet.

The headliner portion will either need to be sprayed with a paint gun or applied with a pad or brush. Too much acreage for spray cans. Not sure yet what amount of gloss/flat finish it should have either. It seems to be less of a gloss where it's not checked and flaking.

Last edited by oakman on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
oakman wrote:
While cleaning up the cab area I was afraid to remove the seat stand mats because they are a bit brittle and I knew the only safe way to scrub them was left in place where they are form-fitted. A friend came by and nicely reminded me that WW makes re-pops. Smile

Glycerin will help soften those up also. Actually any flexible rubber, plastic, vinyl, etc. will do better and last longer if used at least once a year, for hot weather areas probably twice a year.

Good to know, but i must admit i have only seen glycerin in ingredient lists on food labels. Embarassed Edit: Looks like i can get it at Walgreens drug store. I need to get out more apparently!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

Good to know, but i must admit i have only seen glycerin in ingredient lists on food labels. Embarassed Edit: Looks like i can get it at Walgreens drug store. I need to get out more apparently!

Also makes good soap!

Apparently Vaseline does same. Back in the 1980s the upholster fellow who did my 63 KG interior told be to apply some to the seats and vinyl headliner to keep it supple in the Texas heat. Never did try it though.

Helped Clara get her 54 BD out of the high desert in E. WA decades ago. The front OG floor mat was nearly petrified. After applying glycerin it went from feeling like it was going to shatter to a much more flexible state.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

I have tried a few different methods on scrap paneling (not from this bus) and this is what i found to be a good method. After a piece is scraped clean of the old finish, I put a light coat of the "Zinser shellac" brand clear. It has a slight amber tint to it that seems to really bring the grain back to life. It dries quickly but I let it dry overnight usually. Give it a light sanding before applying the first coat of the poly-clear. This takes a little longer to dry, I leave it to dry overnight at least, light sanding and repeat 2 more times. The poly clear seems to me a true clear without darkening a bit more with each coat like the shellac. Shellac is approved to be used as a sealer/base coat beneath polyurethane, according to the can at least.

The spray cans have worked good so far, the poly clear lays down really nice and flat with absolutely no spray lines visible once it's settled and dry. I take the nozzles off and clean them in paint thinner after each use to keep from clogging.

I sampled high gloss, semi-gloss and satin finishes but ended up going with semi-gloss. It looks to be close to what was used originally like here in the back of the Emka cabinet.

The headliner portion will either need to be sprayed with a paint gun or applied with a pad or brush. Too much acreage for spray cans. Not sure yet what amount of gloss/flat finish it should have either. It seems to be less of a gloss where it's not checked and flaking.
I like the look of the shellac, especially when it is brushed on. If you look at the og cabinet/panel finish it was no doubt brushed on; you can see brush marks clearly. You do have to work fast and keep a wet edge with the shellac, but other than that it's nice to work with.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
I like the look of the shellac, especially when it is brushed on. If you look at the og cabinet/panel finish it was no doubt brushed on; you can see brush marks clearly. You do have to work fast and keep a wet edge with the shellac, but other than that it's nice to work with.

I thought those were fine brush marks too until I started looking around more and found otherwise.

This is beneath the ice box cabinet and has no finish, yet it bears the exact same fine lines that look like brush marks:

From beneath the gnarly black stained area, ice box is upside down:

I think they're sanding lines from how they manufactured the veneer. Looking all over these pieces I really can't say for sure if the finish was brushed on or not. If it was indeed brushed those Germans did a stellar job!

I was searching the gallery for so-35 interior pics recently and noticed this pic from Clara showing how the wood inside the Emka cabinet is different from the Swiss Pearwood on the exterior:

Where my bus has the same Pearwood veneer inside and out of the cabinets:

Maybe an early vs late thing?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

The cabinet doors all have a number stamped on the backside along with the same number stamped on the inside of their matching cabinet face. Number 17 is the long door on front of the closet:

This is also noted on the molding, mostly in pencil but at least two in ink:

Other numbers found. #97 is the solid side piece of the closet, stamped on the top edge:

#41 & 42 are the rear closet doors:

The highest numbers i can find are the booze bottle cabinet and the Emka cabinet above it which are numbers 161 & 162:

The lowest numbers i found are #7 & 8, this is inside the cargo door cabinet:

Maybe a clue to production totals? I just thought it was interesting, i love the minutia. Smile

Last edited by oakman on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I experimented with the oxalic acid in a few areas that are hidden before attempting anything that shows. This is only my experience so if you decide to do any wood bleaching take your time and do many tests. It works great on the interior cabinet shelves which are a plywood of some sort, limba maybe? On the veneer i had some mixed results. Left on too long or more than two treatments of the same area it can dissolve the glue and lift the veneer. The veneer is really brittle and fragile on this westy after years in the desert, especially on the front of the closet where it is stained down at the bottom.

I started in this lower corner initially:

After seeing how it reacted and getting a method down i went ahead and worked on the whole area top to bottom a couple inches at a time. I used compressed air to dry the veneer quickly. I think it looks better than it did, here it is after the coat of shellac:

I did a handful of micro repairs to the veneer on the face of this cabinet where it was buckled/peeling from the seams. Tiny relief cuts with a razor blade and carefully lifted then glued back down. At least they're flat now and barely noticeable among the other tiny splits. This is after a light coat of shellac to seal the veneer:

Here's a good example of what the cabinets looked like when new. This is inside the wardrobe next to the right rear wheel well. There is a piece of paneling that covers this, you can see the staple holes. Much more red color to the wood originally.

DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

damn. amazing bus and great work. keep it up!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Oxalic is hard on the laminate if the wood is old as it has water. Heat up the water to almost untouchable before mixing the crystals and it will work faster without leaving it on as long.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 28

Jump to: