Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper Re-Chrome
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
co_migz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

I need to have the bumpers on my Squareback straightened and re-chromed. Anyone have a recommendation for a shop in So-Cal or AZ.
Thanks,
Z
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

I've used Royal Plating in Tucson for my bumpers. Takes 1-2 weeks, but worth the wait.
co_migz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

I have a pretty hammered rear blade. Bent in the middle with several dents. Are they good at straitening and smoothing out dents?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

Yes, they have air hammers & straighten out all the dents before the rechroming. The chrome shop here in Oregon did anyway. $250 for the blade & $80 for the 2 bumper guards in 2006. Take them all apart yourself as the chrome shop lost all our nuts & bolts! Evil or Very Mad
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I brought them a front 74 Karmann Ghia bumper that looked like a pretzel. They straightened it and chromed it, and it looked like new.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

So, how much did Royal Plating charge you for straightening/rechroming your '74 KG bumper a couple years ago?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

I think it was in the $200-$250 range. I've since sold the car and gave the new owner all of the receipts.

My buddy just recently had his 71 bus rear bumper straightened (not chromed, since it's supposed to be painted white) and it ran $125. They did a very good job, and it took about 2 weeks.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

I figured you could Still get them straightened & rechromed for $330 or Less. Jack backed our square into a light pole at Best Buy. It has air hammer marks on the inside but was perfect before he later rolled the '67 on a curve & twisted it into a pretzel again! Exclamation
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

ragged63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

Mike what chroming place do you use here in Oregon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Re-Chrome Reply with quote

I took it to Graffiti Alley on River Road & they sent it to Medford for the work.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: