Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

Who's the best? Also, recommendations for where to buy/order from in the southwest/San Diego. Thanks!
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

I use the Outerwear, fitted. Over the k&n filters. And grease on top and bottom of filter. Mooreparts in Anaheim ships pretty quick. Try to avoid empi anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

Thanks!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

I suggest Dan's Performance Parts. They're in the low desert.
http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/
And I have the impression that poster "Iguana"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=141570
on here has become involved in ownership of the business.

And while many folks may rave against EMPI, the vast majority of parts for VW-based offroad Bugs and Buggies are only available from EMPI. Especially since earlier this year EMPI merged with their prime competitor BugPack. The only alternative to them is Latest Rage, who have much of their products manufactured the same place as EMPI and have a similar reputation to them.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

I couldn't find the right part number/dimensions on Moore's, ordered Outerwear from PacificCustoms...

More thanks!

Last edited by DavidWymore on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

Looked at Dan's, gave me another question...which is preferred, sock or foam prefilter?
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I suggest Dan's Performance Parts. They're in the low desert.
http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/

Where are they? there is no address on the website. do they do counter sales?
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

I've used dans with great success, except for shipping times but i'm used to that on vw parts being I'm on the east coast. Tends to be well priced. Amazon and Ebay work great for basics if you trust the company selling and manufacturing the stuff.
Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

Valley Center. East of Escondido.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

Panty hose, its cheaper.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Panty hose, its cheaper.

Casey

Laughing I have the UNI foam ones, they pretty aight.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

I have a dans outerwear. It does ok at keeping big stuff out of the filter. But my filter still gets caked with fine dust after a 100 mile race. I think I'm going to try a foam sock, combined with the outwear.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

BTW...

Gauze-type air filters allow a lot of fine dust to pass through. The leading brand of them, K&N, advertises more power when you use their filters. That's because the openings in the filter material are larger and let more air through with less resistance...Those bigger openings ALSO let MORE DUST through.

As a Tech Inspector, I often inspect race cars after a race is finished. That includes checking the throttle bore of carburetors in restricted classes to make sure they haven't polished, enlarged or otherwise violated the rules. Racers with an oiled foam over a paper element NEVER have any detectable dust inside. Racers with a K&N will ALWAYS have dust inside the throat that you can wipe out with a finger. Using a K&N as an outer filter with a paper element inside works well or with an oiled foam inside also works well.

I learned this back in the early 70s and it has not changed a bit since then.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

Thanks, I have read and experienced same. K&Ns are for race engines that get rebuilt all the time anyway...or street vehicles that never get in any real dirt.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

On my Manx...I use an "oiled" UNI Filter wrap OVER an "oiled" K&N filter...& on my Class 11 Bug I use an "off-road" tractor "triple filter"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

Why not use both?
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

At some point is there too much restriction?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Prefilter-EMPI or Outerwear or....? Reply with quote

Yes there IS such a point. But an oiled K&N plus a paper element, an oiled foam plus a paper element, or an oiled K&N plus an oiled foam, ... in appropriate sizes, will work fine. I've used 2-stage air filters on all of my offroad cars since the early 1970s.

An outerwear or a lady's nylon is good for keeping big stuff out. It won't keep fine dust out. Glamis sand will be kept out by an oiled gauze fairly well. Finer dust which is found between the sand grains and elsewhere in the desert needs better filtration.

It's important that any air filter be well sealed around the edges and at all connections.

For any intake with a duct between the filter and the carb or throttle body, the longer the intake duct gets, and the rougher the inside of the duct, the smaller the duct diameter, the greater the resistance to flow.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: