Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with deciding on Build type
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do? Wanting some feedback :)
Baja Bug
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Convertible
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Beach Cruiser
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

RookieForHire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Hey yall so me and my fiancé will soon be having a little boy in late February BUT she has agreed to let me build my beetle. What i need is some input from you guys on some different directions my build could go and some pricing as the only way she agreed to it is if i can do it for LESS than buying a new (used) car. I have a baja kit complete with the bumper, cage, and brush gaurds and a shell thats already prepped for the kit. I also have a Bradley GT kit that needs to go because im 6'2" and dont fit it. Im not trying to sell in here (but if you are interested pm me) but i am going to sell some or all of what i have to either build out my baja or do up a noce beach cruiser. Can i get some input on total cost of a project like this (nothing too fancy) and (if theres a difference) the cost of just getting one up and running to daily driver spec.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Stock baja. If the body is already cut then slap that kit on it. Strip it, treat it, paint it and put it back together.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Build a convertible Bug into a Baja. Get 2 sets of tires. 1 set for off roading and 1 set for sandy beach cruising. Don't ever let the girls know how much it cost. You will spend double on a VW then you will a used Honda.

Build it, painting, interior, nice wheels, and a dependable engine plan on 10 G's or more.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Not knowing what you're starting with makes guessing a price range near impossible, add on to that the infinite different ways you could build it and whether you intend on doing it yourself or farming it out makes it that much more difficult to nail down. Check out some of the build threads to get an idea of which direction you want to go (if you don't you'll replace several things multiple times). Do you go to the beach a lot or do you like to go off road or just want the look but just use it for commuting? It's your car, build it the way you want to use it. i personally vote baja.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Rattle can paint the shell/fenders separately & then bolt it together for a cheap daily driver.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Rattle can paint the shell/fenders separately & then bolt it together for a cheap daily driver.

Then get an old Honda and cut the roof of it and use that for a beach cruiser.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Class 11 it with a sunroof. Boom!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Establish college fund for newborn son...
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Establish college fund for newborn son...

Lame....
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Quote:
Lame....

Smart...there is a difference.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Build a convertible Bug into a Baja. Get 2 sets of tires. 1 set for off roading and 1 set for sandy beach cruising.

I agree with this. I'd say start with a vw (regular) beetle convertible (late 60s early 70s- nothing '67 and earlier), get it running and see if it has fun potential. If you find one already baja'd- great! If you find one with the front end wrecked- build a Baja from it.

You'll end up with a cheap four-seat family funster. Loading a little one into the back seat of a baja is not as easy as the vert. The car can be built and reliable fro under $6k- 10 if you go nuts on aftermarket performance.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

In 18 years, depending on how nice that car is, it may just pay for college.... And he gets to enjoy the car till then.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

In 16 years the kid is going to total the Beetle and the only explanation he'll have is, "I don't know what happened!"

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Quote:
In 18 years, depending on how nice that car is, it may just pay for college.... And he gets to enjoy the car till then.

Haven't seen a Beetle yet for a quarter of a million dollars....which will probably be $400k in 18 years
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Class 11 it with a sunroof. Boom!

Good idea - or rally style Beetle
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

Don't listen to any of us. That is what you should really do.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with deciding on Build type Reply with quote

ned wrote:
Don't listen to any of us. That is what you should really do.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: