Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bypass oil filter by Bosch?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information on a Bosch bypass filter. I am looking
at buying one and didn't get a picture yet, It is similar to Fram/H/Mann
I have not seen one of these? Pics will follow, searching here and on google
brought me nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Somethink like this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Taken from this (all German) site:
https://dickholmer.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/nebenstrom-olfilter-nr-3/
It is supposed to be an FJ/SW 10/4 from a Porsche 356.
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

YES! Precisely like that. But I have no bracket. I was in a box with an H filter
and 356 stuff. Can you get a picture of the bracket for me? Any idea of the age? I think it is cool with the greenish colour, I may run it instead of my Fram
filter unless have information making it not period 50's? Very Happy

Thanks for the picture
My dads from your village!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

It seems these Bosch filters were not that common...
But after some research I spotted a few more pics in this blog:
http://bugstatt.blogspot.de/
http://bugstatt.blogspot.de/2014/01/finally-another-30-is-born.html

Not a Porsche engine but kind of a vintage speed VW type 1.

Quote:
My dads from your village!
Surprised Smile Cool

Well if we're talking about this location https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassel it's supposed to be a city... Laughing
But since I'm no "Kasselaner" or "Kasseläner" (this is how the natives are called) ther's no offese taken! Very Happy
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Thanks Maddel for the info. I am picking it up Monday and will post a picture.
I am leaning towards running it on my Okrasa motor just to be different Shocked

There is a chance when my dad was a small "Kasselaner" it was still a small town! He went back a few years ago and barely recognized the place. Welcome to the big city! Embarassed
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

volksartist wrote:
There is a chance when my dad was a small "Kasselaner" it was still a small town! He went back a few years ago and barely recognized the place. Welcome to the big city!

A bit off topic... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Kassel_in_World_War_II

Loads of "construction and planning sins" during reconstruction during the 50s and 60s... Rolling Eyes
So to most of the few remaining older generation folks Kassel looks all different these days.
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Here she is fitted to the Fram bracket

Last edited by volksartist on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

decent shape, I can re-pop the sticker in a few minutes...

Last edited by volksartist on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Here is the fram, I have not put the decal on but I would like opinions as to
which one looks the best or is more suitable. I know the fram did not come off farm machinery!
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

I like the Bosch due to its rarity and itll work the same. The FRAM is a dime a dozen, Mann a dollar a dozen, Bosch haven't seen one on a VW at a show before, although they do exist obviously
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Interesting how it's all banjo fittings. Good or bad? I like the look of it. I opened it and the cartridge is a Fram Canada C3. I opened my H filter and it had a Fram USA C3. I put the H up for sale Wink
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Restore the Bosch unit. So cool. Never have seen one here on the forums.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Great purchase!
IMHO the Bosch filter beats the pants off the Fram unit.
It would be a perfect fit for your OKRASA project. Cool

As for the banjo fittings I don't see any problems.
They allow you to easily arrange the oil lines according to your needs.
Be sure to use the correct sealing gaskets (copper washers) and they will work like a charm.
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Had a few minutes. At first I thought it was faded yellow. But after looking at Maddels original post I thought likely white turned yellow over time, so I went with white. Paint looks almost like strato silver! Off to the harware store. Cool
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

volksartist wrote:
Had a few minutes. At first I thought it was faded yellow. But after looking at Maddels original post I thought likely white turned yellow over time, so I went with white. Paint looks almost like strato silver! Off to the harware store. Cool

Nice sticker. Now I'm quite curious to see the whole unit in grand style again!

May be not jet noticed...
There's another pic of the filter in "dickholmer's" blog (https://dickholmer.wordpress.com) which seems to confirm your assumptions:

volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Finally had some time to get a colour mixed up.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Dancing Very nice! Applause
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Thanks! I have to see if I can find someone for custom oil lines and make sure any restrictions (if necessary) are still in place. It looks like a 2mm passage on the outlet side was used before? It could be a little while
before the engine is assembled. I am blasting heater boxes for ceramic coating and still need a 54 breast plate.... Very Happy
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, fine-filtration, by-pass oil filters, typically filter about 5~10% of the oil pumped by the oil pump, returning the filtered oil directly to the engine's oil-sump.

What provision if any, have you also made for full-flow oil filtration?

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bypass oil filter by Bosch? Reply with quote

Frequent oil changes, a short operating season, a hope and a prayer! Confused
Period "performance" comes with it's disadvantages. I guess a magnetic drain plug would be another small step. I'm putting the original Knecht air filters on the shelf and running the re-pops with better filter elements for actual driving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: