Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windage pushrod tube for 36hp stock engine
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSLAVO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Windage pushrod tube for 36hp stock engine Reply with quote

Got these windage pushrod tubes coming along when i bought my oval...Are these longer pushrod tubes good for 36hp stock engine? What is the purpose of the longer length (about 3cm) extended into the case?

Did a simple search online. CB perform stated:-

Windage Tubes are the fastest and easiest way to reduce oil sloshing and leaking valve cover gaskets. The extended neck of the Windage Tube fits snugly into the engine case to help keep engine oil where it belongs. Windage Tubes are designed for fast, easy installation; you just bolt 'em in just like stock push rod tubes. The difference is in the performance. Off-road, street and all-out competition engines will run stronger and longer with controlled oil flow. Windage Tubes can also reduce engine temperature by transferring internal engine and oil heat to the outside airflow.ance stated

Does anyone have experience using them on stock engine?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: windage pushrod tube for 36hp stock engine Reply with quote

Are you sure those are for a 25/36hp engine? They are different size than later 1200 and 1300-1600 engines.

In normal operation the oil is delivered under pressure to the rocker arms and valve train through the push rods. Once the oil has done its job it drains back down to the bottom of the valve cover area and back into the crankcase through the tubes by gravity. This is one reason they are at a slight angle.

When you go around a corner hard, oil sloshes to one side of the crankcase and can actually go through the tubes and into the valve cover area. This will leave you with less oil in the crankcase and can lead to oil starvation. Having the push rod tubes protrude further into the crankcase makes it harder (in theory) for the oil to get into the tubes during hard cornering because they are not flush against the sides of the crankcase.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: windage pushrod tube for 36hp stock engine Reply with quote

I use them all the time in my motors for autocrossing and lapping, but mine are all 1600cc based motors. I have never seen a set for a 36hp based motor. IF they are for a 36 I would think they are a fairly rare piece of kit.

Day to day driving you won't see any benefits but as said above, in performance applications they help control ail flow in hard corners.

brad
templeofspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Windage pushrod tube for 36hp stock engine Reply with quote

356/912 Porsche tubes fit the 36hp.

http://www.stoddard.com/61610523100.html
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Windage pushrod tube for 36hp stock engine Reply with quote

The early Porsche 356 used stock 25hp/36hp tubes. The extended windage tubes were developed by Lukes and Shorman (a shop in California that did a lot of 356 race prep), and the Porsche factory adapted the design in about 1960 or so. I am sure the tubes you show are 356/912 tubes. I believe they work fine but a lot more pricey that 36hp tubes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TSLAVO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Windage pushrod tube for 36hp stock engine Reply with quote

This is a photo of the windage tube with tube taken out from my oval 36hp side by side. It looks correct for 36hp.

The tubes didnt come with packaging, not sure where was the source. However, there were other parts came along with Stoddard/Porsche label.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: