Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

A fun read; thanks for posting. I wonder if CR asked the same questions about the Clinical Thermometers? Fun to insert? Handy? Economical? Comfortable? Shocked
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

Thanks for posting
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

Note the slight sag in the rain gutter above the b-pillar. I have always thought that is the result of body fatigue over time but apparently that is incorrect. Passenger side wiper arm is way out of adjustment.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

It's interesting to see the Beetle specks compared with other cars of the same time period. Thanks for posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

Thank you for the article, very interesting as I have a November 54.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

The front bow, as pictured on page 473, has the pronounced bulge also found on 1967 models...
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

Magazine date is October of 1954, and with a 3 to 4 month lead time, that would date the story at least as far back as the middle of 1954 -- and notice the "ram" bumpers with bows and overriders. Many dozens, if not hundreds of cars had the holes filled and Euro blades installed because the owners mistakenly believed the cars wouldn't have had them that early, but I would wager that most of them did. (At least in the U.S.)

Heinz Nordhoff
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

I wonder what tail lights that particular car had? Eggs or Hearts. I had a '54 and it had RAM, MPH speedo and Eggs as well as '54 sealed beam headlights. The wiring on the headlights had been spliced so I assumed that this was a car that had been converted but who knows.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

You are 100% correct. Most people do not believe this was an option, granted the Ram Protection wasn't standard for US cars but it was an option. My November 54 had the Ram Protection as an option as shown on the Birth Certificate and holes in original apron and fenders.

One problem with the Ram Protection on these cars is the overriders blocked the heart/egg tailights...not a good thing. I'm one of the guilty Owners who welded the holes up Mad

Blue Baron wrote:
Magazine date is October of 1954, and with a 3 to 4 month lead time, that would date the story at least as far back as the middle of 1954 -- and notice the "ram" bumpers with bows and overriders. Many dozens, if not hundreds of cars had the holes filled and Euro blades installed because the owners mistakenly believed the cars wouldn't have had them that early, but I would wager that most of them did. (At least in the U.S.)
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
One problem with the Ram Protection on these cars is the overriders blocked the heart/egg tailights..

Yes, indeed.

(Lifted from the cool vintage pictures thread.)

My '54 was something of a barn find, sitting in a garage for the past 35 years. It had the overrider holes but the towel racks were missing. I opted to plug them and go with Euro bumpers because they simply look better to my eyes. The body lines look longer, and the tail lights are at least somewhat more visible.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

I was pulled over by a state trooper about 6 years ago for that very reason...
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

My Aug of 54 had Ram protection as an option on its Birth Certificate.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
I wonder what tail lights that particular car had? Eggs or Hearts. I had a '54 and it had RAM, MPH speedo and Eggs as well as '54 sealed beam headlights. The wiring on the headlights had been spliced so I assumed that this was a car that had been converted but who knows.

I recently bought a copy of the Oct '54 Consumer Reports and in the one small side picture, the tail lights appear to be hearts.

Here's a link to the entire article.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/magazines...201954.pdf

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer Reports, Oct. 1954 Reply with quote

My car is a 3/54 going off the speedo. And chassis # seems to agree- and it's been bumped in front and repaired, but the overrider holes are there and filled in. No way to know if either rear fender is OG, the left is a 'ribbed' fender, and it has an overrider hole filled in also.
I don't have a VW birth certificate; but I know the car was originally Stratos/ Red, since it's running the original interior; and all the stamped #'s (aside from a later engine) match.
And beyond that there's just nothing special about it. But if I had to bet, I'd say it had export bumpers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: