Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Heat Exchanger Question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONAP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: 1974 Heat Exchanger Question Reply with quote

Hi All,

Can someone please post some pics of what the cable connection should look like at the heat exchanger? I noticed today that the cables coming from my control levers are connected to nothing. Both sides. They're just hanging in the breeze. Looking at parts and pics that I've been able to find online, I'm sure that I'm missing some bits, but I'm not sure what. I live in Phoenix, and didn't use the heat at all last year, but it would be nice to have it working just the same.

Thanks a bunch.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Heat Exchanger Question Reply with quote

This is the best I've got:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The barrel nuts (#20) slip through the brackets (#22).

The cables are clamped to the barrel nuts (#20) with the M5 bolts (#19) holding them in place (just like the throttle cable at the carburetor).

When the Temp lever between the front seats is lifted, it pulls the cables toward the front of the car, to pivot the top of the lever (#25) backward to open a flap inside the front of the heat exchanger.

Hope that helps, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ONAP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Heat Exchanger Question Reply with quote

Thanks Mondshine.

I'll take another look in the morning, but right now I can say without question I have the lever. Pretty sure that the rest rattled off somewhere.

Cheers.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Heat Exchanger Question Reply with quote

even in phoenix,. heater boxes are a good idea, because they dissipate heat many , many times better than j tubes. the surface area of a stock heater box is a heat sink. plus the funky insides have more surface area too!

I liberated this pic from Jimmy111

you probalby need soemthign liek this: (search ebay for heater box kit)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Heat Exchanger Question Reply with quote

In the picture there is a spring (#26) that looks very different from the two springs in the kit. I have been simply wiring my boxes open every year, but want to make the controls work this year... Where do the 2 springs in the kit connect now?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Heat Exchanger Question Reply with quote

This should help.
GB
www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7017854
ONAP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Heat Exchanger Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone.

GB, thanks for the link. The pics are a big help for me. Looks like I can get the left & right kits here locally at The Thing Shop.

http://www.thethingshop.com/HEAT-EXCHANGE-KIT-LEFT/productinfo/043298103/

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: