Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Link and pin questions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3gengines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Link and pin questions Reply with quote

I have my front end apart on my rail buggy. Some year model of Link and Pin.
The bushing feel tight and I have cleaned and freshened the pins that are in good shape.
I need to know:
#1, How can I figure out the year model of the front end?
#2, How many shims should be used?
#3, My pins are 3/4 and I see 5/8 & 7/8 available. Am I missing something?

Thanks. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Link and pin questions Reply with quote

Quote:
#1, How can I figure out the year model of the front end?

Link pin Bug front ends vary quite little from 1938 to 1965. The steering box changed in 1961 and remained pretty much the same through the ball joint years. The pins didn't change, nor did the king pins, shims, link carriers, spindles, beam, trailing arm, etc. So on a buggy, the year model your beam came from really doesn't matter.

Quote:
#2, How many shims should be used?

The same for all years. 10 shims on all 4 pins for ALL link pin Bugs. Some cars were equipped (mostly retrofit during normal maintenance work) with "Dust Seal" shims which take the place of 2 regular shims and have a rubber lip around the outside. For how many to install inboard and how many outboard of the link on each pin, you will need a chart. I've always relied on my "Without Guesswork" factory service book. Some charts out there do not take into account the dust seal issue and will give you specs for 8 shims. If you DO put dust seals in, go by the numbers for 8 shims.
This drawing is from the "Idiot" book.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A chart from the service manual which refers to using dust seals:

Quote:
#3, My pins are 3/4 and I see 5/8 & 7/8 available. Am I missing something?

Stock Link pins for a Bug are 18mm, which is about 1mm less than 3/4". Some convert that to 5/8". The "7/8" size link pins are commonly called "King Kong" by offroaders and are the same diameter as Bus link pins.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Link and pin questions Reply with quote

Here is a scan of the shim chart pages from the Without Guesswork book:
(Not my scan)

Click on the image to enlarge it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
3gengines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Link and pin questions Reply with quote

Richard, As always, a great wealth of knowledge. Thank you.
I will order enough 5/8 shims to properly adjust my front end.

Very Happy
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Link and pin questions Reply with quote

some arms have an indented space for the o-ring, earlier ones dont. not sure of years, but i have seen both.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: