Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Many electrical issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfraz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

1963 Beetle restored in CA. Don't know who did it. Starts and runs well but...
No horn, no turn signals, no wiper function. Right headlight and right parking light are both on at same time, left ones are not. No left brake light. There is one wire coming from the wiper motor that is light blue and not connected. Does it connect to the wiper switch? Fuzes are all OK. I cleaned all contacts in the fuze block. Battery is new. 6 volt. Could any of these issues be connected somehow? I am slowly learning to read wiring diagrams Rolling Eyes [/img]
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to follow the good advice posted here several times... print the wiring diagram as a poster at kinkos, and have them laminate it, maybe even mount on foam core. Then you use a dry-erase marker to mark off each checked wire and connections. Makes it easier to not get lost, and great garage art when you are done!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Keep reading that wiring diagram. It's valuable information.
Most important on a 6v system is the grounds (light brown wires) are...well grounded. Clean the connections where they contact the body of the car. Then start tracing the wire from the source to the component that is giving you trouble.
Good luck.
And welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

You need a multimeter to follow The current. And probably an earthing fault.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Ben Dover
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Maybe if you replace the fuzes with fuses that might help?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Like this ;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Like others have said, print off the wiring diagram. It looks overwhelming at first, but you'll get the hang of it. I just did mine with no previous experience at all. What helped me was to get some markers and blank printer paper and basically "redraw" the wiring diagram a section at a time. Since the car is running and driving, you don't really want to mess with that part yet, so save that till last. Take some pictures with your phone of how everything is now so if for some reason you did something and the car won't start you can always put it back to the way that it was.

But to answer your question, no, most likely the problems are not connected. They are all "seperate sections". The only thing that would be connected would be you headlight and parking light coming on at the same time.

Start with that. Redraw the wiring diagram for the headlights only. That will.make it easier when your just working on that section, and will make things more clearer and you won't get confused by all the other wires. Them trace every wire on you bug and you can even draw a diagram out to how it currently is. Compare your two diagrams and figure out what where the wires are now amd where they need to be.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Make your wiring look like the wiring diagram. Done.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Just be glad you don't have a 1974--like mine.

I had to first, get the hang of reading older-style diagrams (not hard, actually), then I moved into the more complicated new-style diagrams--which seem confusing, at first, but finally make sense when you compare them to the older-style ones.

A printed, laminated copy is nice--but also pre-existing wiring that actually has the original color codes. Often, the PO has rewired various items, using any old color wire; but armed with a diagram, you can figure it out and re-wire properly.

A good soldering gun is nice, too--for the new connectors.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

I still cant wrap my arms around 73 and up wiring.....But to add what was posted here's a couple things. Invest in one of those slip on connectors kits or at least buy a bag of connectors, get a heat shrink assortment and some external tooth washers (small to fit a #8 or #10 sheet metal screw and some larger ones (about 5/16"). Use the washers for any grounds that are scewed to the body - including the tail light and turn signal housings. Sometimes you need one for one of the fender bolts as well. They bite through paint and ensure a good ground. Grounds are one of the biggest problems you have with these cars.

Also have a few wire wheels for your Dremel to clean all of your connections - including the clips that hold the fuses in. Take your time...Its not that hard - just work one circuit at a time.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Colored wire is a good idea, soldering and shrink wrap are also a great way to fix wires.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

One thing you mentioned is cleaning the connections on the fuse block, but not the connections at the actual fixtures. You may be getting full power to the lights, but a cruddy corroded connection at the light will keep it off. Also, as mentioned, grounds are super important. I chased why my headlights were dim for several hours until I found the ground and tightened it. Bam! Instant bright headlights. I found a small file set that you would use for models or other hobbies, sand paper and a pocket knife to be invaluable when it came to scraping connectors clean.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Sorry - yeah - pull switches and pretty much every connection and clean them. I usually go through at least 2 dremel wire wheels when I redo a car. I automatically just do it during the build so it doesnt bite me in the ass later. small cup style wire wheels are great for cleaning the inside of turn signal and tail light sockets....you need one of those too.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gfraz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Just an update. Except or the horn and interior light all electrical issues have been resolved. Pulled the horn ring and one of the springs was missing. Hopefully that is causing the anemic beep. Ordered a spring kit and new horn ring, fuel gauge and wiper switch, installed a new trunk seal. Dumb question time: on the top right of the fan housing is a one inch tube. Should something be attached to it? Thanks to all for their input.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Are you referring to the oil breather tube? Connects to oil bath cleaner and oil filler.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

gfraz wrote:
Dumb question time: on the top right of the fan housing is a one inch tube. Should something be attached to it?

That tube is for the fuel vent/charcoal cannister system used on Bugs and Busses starting in 1968, it's not used on your car unless you've retrofitted the later style fuel venting system. Most often that tube is capped off or pinched shut when installed in pre-68 VWs. Whatever you decide to do with it, do not connect that to the crankcase vent fitting on your oil filler.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

gfraz wrote:
Just an update. Except or the horn and interior light all electrical issues have been resolved. Pulled the horn ring and one of the springs was missing. Hopefully that is causing the anemic beep. Ordered a spring kit and new horn ring, fuel gauge and wiper switch, installed a new trunk seal. Dumb question time: on the top right of the fan housing is a one inch tube. Should something be attached to it? Thanks to all for their input.

Horn could be the ring inside the wheel or the ring inside the center cap. Could also be the connections to the horn. Those all need cleaning. Also check and make sure its a 6v horn. Someone installed a 12v on mine and it sounded like a sick cat.

For the dome light, check the switches in the doors to make sure the connections are all clean. Also, get yourself a cheap meter and see what you are getting on the dome light. You should have two wires, one postive constant that comes straight from the fuse box and another that comes from the door switches. The dome light originally grounds on the body but you may have to rig a wire or some sort of ground to get it to work.
gfraz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Trying to wire a 2speed switch to 1speed motor. Wiring diagrams I have seen show the motor terminals marked 54d, 31b, 54 left to right. My motor is marked 53, 31b, 53a. How do I wire this motor. When I hooked all wires up by the forum diagram the motor worked but I got a spark when I attached the ground to the chassis.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

This might help? Ripped from one of Andy's Post's Shocked

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
gfraz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Many electrical issues Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't answer my problem. Note the sketch uses 54 not 53. I don't know if that is significant.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: