Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is This and How Do I Get it Off?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

My project to "just patch the pans" is turning into more. Shocked

Came across this hard, gray stuff today. It's not soft like the putty I've been scraping and it's not like the bondo stuff I've found. It's like a really hard shell almost as if the car could rust away under it and it would be fine.

So far, putty knife, paint scraper, heat gun. All are slow going and I'm really sore.

Any ideas on how I can get through this stuff faster or if I should just leave it alone?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

May be it's kind of this "truck bed liner" paint stuff Question
A knotted wire cup brush will do the job I guess.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But IMHO it looks like you have to cut out most of the wheel arch tin anyway... Sad
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Walter4 wrote:
the car could rust away under it and it would be fine.

Looks like it did already.

Maddel wrote:
May be it's kind of this "truck bed liner" paint stuff Question

But IMHO it looks like you have to cut out most of the wheel arch tin anyway... Sad

I've seen that before. It's JB Weld. Nothing will scrape that off. Crying or Very sad
As above; "IMHO it looks like you have to cut out most of the wheel arch tin anyway..." Sad

Bored at work, so I looked at your other posts and pics.

Post some more pictures. Step back a bit and let us see more of the car. Particularly: the heater channels & wheel wells. From inside and outside.
Any place you've been, or about to tackle rust, let us see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walter4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Yes. I agree that I'm going to wind up putting in lots of new metal. The picture doesn't show the extent but this gray stuff covers both rear wheel wells and the luggage tray. I've only ever seen JB Weld in little tubes. This stuff looks like it was poured all over so I guess it comes in quarts.

In some places the metal underneath is pretty and has a nice ring when I hit it with a chisel. In other places its rotted away, so I'm going to have to try to find the edges of the rot if I can. I will pick up a wire brush this evening. It looks like it goes on an angle grinder from the picture.

Thanks for the help.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

www.MasterSeriesCT.com silver & black dries rock hard and is good stuff. You don't have to get it all off just to paint more back on it. I prefer the simple flat wire wheels for edges/corners rather than the knotted wire cup type, so get both styles. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Naw, that's JB Weld. I've made "JB" repairs to a luggage tray when there were random pinholes. Even holes as big as a nickel.

Sometimes cutting out the old, welding in new is just not worth the effort & $$.

However, this appears to be a "hide it" job by some hack. Baaaaad. :2gunfire:

I get a feeling the whom ever did this KNEW what was needed, and decided to hide it, like this. I've also only seen JB in the little tubes. So somebody bought a lot of it, with this particular "fix" in mind. d'oh!

IF you insist, also get the flat version of the wheel above. The typical "wire wheel" won't help much on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Looked in your gallery. I've replaced all those areas and more on my car. They make replacement panels for most of those areas. Trick is to buy the best quality ones you can find. Even then, some/lots of massaging of the metal is necessary. AND there's always more rust than you can see hiding under the paint/undercoat/mats/etc... The bigger pain is when the rust extends to multiple panels. Depending on your plans for the car, decide if your going to try and patch, or repair, then start stripping to see what you have to work with.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Guessing some kind of epoxy ? Take propane torch and heat back side of metal and delaminate from metal . do not breath fume's
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Agreed. Looks like an epoxy. I would also use a propane torch and a scraper.
Walter4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Thanks beetlenut. I figure to take my time and since I was driving it like this (with carpets over theholes), I can't imagine anything I do will make it worse.

The car just failed the safety inspection because of the pans. I go back and forth between cursing myself for not knowing what I was doing when I bought the car and cursing the man who I paid to fix it up and paint it.

At this point I have to weld, patch and paint. Anything less and my wife will give me "that smirk" for months, maybe years.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Walter4 wrote:
Thanks beetlenut. I figure to take my time and since I was driving it like this (with carpets over theholes), I can't imagine anything I do will make it worse.

The car just failed the safety inspection because of the pans. I go back and forth between cursing myself for not knowing what I was doing when I bought the car and cursing the man who I paid to fix it up and paint it.

At this point I have to weld, patch and paint. Anything less and my wife will give me "that smirk" for months, maybe years.

Get used to it. By the time you "weld, patch & paint", she'll be giving you that smirk Rolling Eyes , anyway.
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What is This and How Do I Get it Off? Reply with quote

Looks like the same place my 69 'vert had rusted out. Both sides, and the PO had patched it with Bondo-encased cardboard.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: