Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia - uncarpeted space around rear seat
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkster7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Ghia - uncarpeted space around rear seat Reply with quote

Got the car 95% ready for paint with exception of one patch panel. On to the interior. I got my carpet kit and dry fit it in place. Have also recovered seats and realize that there are gaps around the rear seat bottom that will not be covered by carpet or seat. Looking at my dad's Ghia, the areas are covered with some variety of plastic covering. I was thinking of using marine grade vinyl (it has a different texture) to cover those areas. Doesn't seem like they should just be painted, as the area directly behind the seat is recessed and it just doesn't seem like paint is the right approach. Thoughts?

73 Ghia - Primer Grey but headed to Candy Apple Red
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia - uncarpeted space around rear seat Reply with quote

Monkster7 wrote:
Got the car 95% ready for paint with exception of one patch panel. On to the interior. I got my carpet kit and dry fit it in place. Have also recovered seats and realize that there are gaps around the rear seat bottom that will not be covered by carpet or seat. Looking at my dad's Ghia, the areas are covered with some variety of plastic covering. I was thinking of using marine grade vinyl (it has a different texture) to cover those areas. Doesn't seem like they should just be painted, as the area directly behind the seat is recessed and it just doesn't seem like paint is the right approach. Thoughts?

73 Ghia - Primer Grey but headed to Candy Apple Red

I ran into the same problem and the interior looked unfinished. What my wife and I did was to make our own vinyl sections to fit behind the back seat and the back seat back, and also for the sides where the back seat meets the arms rests. I trust this photo will demonstrate better than I can explain. We used the same vinyl as we had on the seats.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DogGeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia - uncarpeted space around rear seat Reply with quote

I used marine vinyl also - it's got more stretch. I had to go back and cover the front corners where the two bits of carpeting didn't meet. I think some carpet sets do this joint with a single piece so there isn't a gap. This is a TMI carpet set in my 66 coupe. I found the seat bottom fit a little too tightly, even though I didn't add sound mat down the sides of the seat. I try not to take the seat in and out too often because it scrubs the vinyl pretty hard.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia - uncarpeted space around rear seat Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to go back and cover the front corners where the two bits of carpeting didn't meet. I think some carpet sets do this joint with a single piece so there isn't a gap

Youre right. Early ghias (til mid 60's?) this part was two piece, later ghias it folds over and down over your red circle.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia - uncarpeted space around rear seat Reply with quote

I had a mid-'62 with original carpeting that had the seams at the corners of the emergency seat supports. I do not know when the change to the carpeting in this area was made, but the spare parts list shows a change in parts numbers at the beginning of the '63 model year.

The rear bottom jump seat area was covered in a thin vinyl, the sides covered first, then the rear section, as pictured in the post above. It would have been covered using the same color material used in the package tray and around the outer edge of the seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andy Wellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia - uncarpeted space around rear seat Reply with quote

When I bought my interior kit from JBugs I also bought an extra piece of the vinyl the same colour as my seats and door cards and am planning on covering those panels and the rear parcel shelf so it all matches. Nothing like a bit of forward thinking!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: