Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

59 body on a 63 pan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

Thinking about picking up a 59 body to lay on my restored 63 pan. Is this just a simple bolt up operation, or is there anything else to it?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

Technically considered illegal...... but bolts up easier than searching the forums.. Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

haha, thanks VWNUT
Ben Dover
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

What happened to the 59's pan?
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

Is it registered/titled to the body or the pan? If you have a title for the pan and register it as a '63 you should be golden but if you title/register it to the body you are asking for trouble.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
Is it registered/titled to the body or the pan? If you have a title for the pan and register it as a '63 you should be golden but if you title/register it to the body you are asking for trouble.

Why is that? I was actually curious about doing this. I have a bug registered as a 64 due to the pan but the body is a 63. I had considered seeing what it would take to register it as a 63. I spoke to someone briefly at the DMV here and they mentioned a "built from parts" title. I didn't want to go that route as it sounds too similar to a salvage title.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

^ You are lucky it stopped there.. . and you got away..

Pan (chassis) numbers are generally the official serial (VIN) numbers.
Body swaps, body tags being lost or swapped is fairly common albeit illegal..

Not saying its right.... but .....
Its best to have the title match the chassis number..... and keep any other questionable and lost number "things" to yourself.
If the title matches the Body tag only..... then... keep it even quieter..
Either way.. be happy you can drive it..

Just hope if you ever need to file an insurance claim it will be covered... because its a 110% reason and a way for them to deny if they start poking around..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

I got the impression that it wouldn't be that big of a deal either way to register it if it was built from parts. Its just a different type of title here. Either way, its fully able to be registered and driven. Heck, Florida is one of the few states where you can actually title, register and drive a sand rail on the roads. They also have kit car and custom car registrations.
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

I've got both pans, but I've already restored the 63 pan, and the 59 body is primo. I was planning on dropping the 59 body on the 63 pan and living happily ever after.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

Maybe happy 4 u as a 59but if ever u try to sell, many go by legit chassis vin,, & probably like me it otherwise was by body u have a parts car. U sell, new owner sees titled by body, could get u for that thing called fraud, even a costly suit, your choice. As usual no warranty offered at this time.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

I would check with your local DMV and see what they say. My guess is you'll have to title it as a 63.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

SixtyThreeRag wrote:
I was planning on dropping the 59 body on the 63 pan and living happily ever after.

Applause .. great idea..

Last to the 50's Wink ... I'd roll it any day..

When asked.. tell all proudly its a 59'... Nobody will really know the difference about the pan being a 63.. .. or in reality...even care.

Usually and often edited
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

Although I've done the swap myself, I do know the rear shock towers and body area are different. The '59 gas the towers and upper shouck mounts parallel to the centerline. The '63 has the mounts turned out at about a 30 degree angle. At a result, you may have to modify the '59 body to clear.
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

HBRag wrote:
Although I've done the swap myself, I do know the rear shock towers and body area are different. The '59 gas the towers and upper shouck mounts parallel to the centerline. The '63 has the mounts turned out at about a 30 degree angle. At a result, you may have to modify the '59 body to clear.

What did you have to do to yours to make it fit?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

SixtyThreeRag wrote:
HBRag wrote:

The rear shock towers will clear and fit perfectly fine.. Confused No clearance issues.
The only mod if so desired... the shock bolt access hole needs be elongated to allow bolt removal.

Or.. more simply..... just put the bolts in the opposite way... Wink Laughing

Straight
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Angled

Usually and often edited
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Technically considered illegal...... but bolts up easier than searching the forums.. Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Hey Ken, I said the same thing in HBB off-road forum & got corrected by one of the main contributors, I left it alone but he was quite adamant to the contrary.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

SixtyThreeRag wrote:

Just like Ken says . . . bolt the shocks on with the bolt from the outside and the nut inboard from the shock . . . no need to modify the body.

FWIW . . . my avatar shows my European '56 Ragtop sitting on a '63 pan.
When I sold the car, the buyer questioned the discrepancy in the body VIN/chassis VIN/title VIN . . . SADLY for me, he bought it anyway and I have never seen it since.
Of all the cars and bikes I have owned, I wish I could have THAT one back!
Ben Dover
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

The fastest way to ruin the value of a be,is to swap it onto another pan.
You have a restored pan,great. There are plenty of bodies for sale that are missing their pan;use one of those.
I would never swap pans on my vw's, and I'll never buy a vw that doesn't have matching numbers.
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

VW purist's will turn their nose up at the body anyways. It's a 59 with a 56 roof on it.

And kind of the style I'm going for:
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 body on a 63 pan Reply with quote

Another area to consider is the wiring as '59 and '63 have different wire terminal styles, turn signal switch and lights, and horn wiring.

To make the conversion clean and simple, use everything electrical from the '59 including column, steering wheel and turn signal switch.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: