Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What reading for cam timing
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: What reading for cam timing Reply with quote

Stupid question, should I be using the crank degrees to retard a cam or the lobe centerline? I'm thinking I need to adjust to 112 lobe centerline to be 4 degrees retarded instead of opening at 18 on the crank. I read to use crank degrees and it got me thinking.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What reading for cam timing Reply with quote

You can do it both ways. Your methods and tools might not get the same numbers as the card so find out how much duration you have and set from that. Why do you want to retard it so much? In most cases if you need to retard you are better off with a different cam.

Dan
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What reading for cam timing Reply with quote

Using SS pistons and i need some more valve clearance. I am at 111lc now.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What reading for cam timing Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Using SS pistons and i need some more valve clearance. I am at 111lc now.

Don't know a whole lot about the ss pistons but I not so sure I would trade ideal cam timing for any trick pistons for a street car, maybe on a drag car.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: