Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to adjust valves on a hydraulic tappets 2.0 type 4 engi
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
naisnos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: how to adjust valves on a hydraulic tappets 2.0 type 4 engi Reply with quote

Hi guys

I have a type 4 cu engine which i am installing brand new hydraulic tappets.

what is the installation procedure shall i fill with oil and what is the exact procedure to adjust valve clearances?

big thanks

ian
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: how to adjust valves on a hydraulic tappets 2.0 type 4 Reply with quote

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: how to adjust valves on a hydraulic tappets 2.0 type 4 Reply with quote

are you changing the cam too? i would not use new lifters on a old cam in a type 4 . they always wear out weird. is the face of the cam dished? if so the cam is junk. any way soak them in oil over nite . and adjust like you would solids.except turn the adjuster till you have zero lash then turn in one turn .
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
naisnos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: how to adjust valves on a hydraulic tappets 2.0 type 4 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html

hi bus daddy eccelent article !!

so what i was thinking is i put the lifters in oil fill them with an oil gun through the hole and let them soak in engine oil .

then after that do you agree if i install everything and being new lifters i adjust at 1.5 turns ?

big thanks ian
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: how to adjust valves on a hydraulic tappets 2.0 type 4 Reply with quote

I'm not sure if pumping oil in will be sufficient, I've always dismantled them and bled them in a tin can of oil (watch where those circlips fly off to). 1-1.5 turns is usually just right, keep a log of where you set them and readjust every second oil change, if one takes less or more turns to unwind to zero something's going wrong and needs attention before the next road trip.

Cam wear is an important factor, no new lifter will last on a fubared cam.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
naisnos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: how to adjust valves on a hydraulic tappets 2.0 type 4 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm not sure if pumping oil in will be sufficient, I've always dismantled them and bled them in a tin can of oil (watch where those circlips fly off to). 1-1.5 turns is usually just right, keep a log of where you set them and readjust every second oil change, if one takes less or more turns to unwind to zero something's going wrong and needs attention before the next road trip.

Cam wear is an important factor, no new lifter will last on a fubared cam.

so i dismantled the followers fjlled them with oil had to press them in a bench vice to intall the circlips. when i try to depress them there is zero clearance because they are correctley bled. am i doing it right ?

ian
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: how to adjust valves on a hydraulic tappets 2.0 type 4 Reply with quote

naisnos wrote:
had to press them in a bench vice to intall the circlips.

Shocked
I hope you had soft jaws or something to protect the ends of the lifters from the vice.
Usually you can depress the ball with a small wire in the end of a pushrod to depress them while submerged.
Regardless it's done now, set them to zero or even .006" and run it a few minutes until it's warm so they pump up by themselves (or do the cam break in if specified by the supplier), then reset them properly.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: