Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 412 these days..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Yep I know I have a new muffler for right side exhaust, and a new tail pipe for a left side exhaust, and they won't work together. On samba classifieds now there are two or three new type 4 mufflers. One is for left side exhaust with the tailpipe installed. There asking over $300.00----and I think that's a little to high. I always thought all the sedans had left side exhaust. Bob

One one hand I would have to say.....no....I have never actually seen a left side exhaust stock. All of my 411 and 412 both Sedan and variant have been right side though you can buy either. So it ......"seems".......its not a sedan thing. And through high school college and beyond.....I have generally only seen right hands stocked. Every time I bought or ordered a muffler....I never even had to ask or worry. They all were just right hand.

However......but.....and since you noted it.....I will dig in the parts book:

What the parts book says:....mind you these are center exit units.... but there is a part number for left and right.

The left exit muffler is part # 021 251 101E

To engine V 0 100 000
To engine Z 0 001 370....model 021 which is carbed sedan automatic trans
To engine W 0 009 126 ...model 022 which is manual trans sedan
From engine W 0 009 126....model 022:1, 2 which are injected sedans both auto and manual
From engine Z 0 001 371.....model 021:1, 2 which are carbed sedans both auto and manual
From engine EA 0 000 001 ......model M553 (continental US basic DOT package) 022:1,2 which are injected sedans both manual and Auto.

Usage....stopped at Engine # V 0 049 186....and under that note.....it cryptically says:
021 251 171 F/231 B 233A.

The 021 251 171 F is the left hand pointing, center exit damper tail pipe.
The 021 251 231B is the 43mm ceramic sealing ring.....ah...so that cryptic note is that the earlier left hand exhaust center exit ssystems used the skinnier pipe with 35mm sealing ring. They went to the larger pipe at the V engine listing above.

The right hand facing, center exit muffler:
Part # 021 251 101 D
From engine # W 0 009 127 ....for models 022:3, 4 and M554....which is fuel injected variant automatic and manual transmission and M544= export markets
From engine Z 0 001 371...for models 021:3,4 and M544....carbed variants bith auto and manual and export markets.
From engine EA 0 000 001 .... for models, M553 (USA and Canada) models 022: 3, 4....auto and manual variants.

So....damn....you are right! It appears that ....at least with the damper style muffler (meaning thse with the tailpipe exiting the muffler in the center of the muffler body)......those that exit toward the right were for wagons and those exiting toward the left were for 2 and 4 door sedan.

I have no idea if that same rule applies to the end exit mufflers. Also as I noted earlier.....I have never owned one or seen one with a laft hand exit muffler.....and also the center exit damper style were also a bit of a rarity. It may be that the damper style was used up to a certain year point....probably after 1971. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

If you happen to have a owners manual that comes with the sedan you will see that the muffler is a left exhaust. Also look on page 18 of the Haynes Manual. Bob
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Yes looking into old broschures the most common seems to be the coupe tailpipe to the left and the Variant to the right..has anyone any idea why?
Seem to remember some difference in the Eber tailpipe also...this due to where the air intake to the engine (and heating system) is; under the rear window on the coupe and at the top of the rear fenders on the Variant...

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
If you happen to have a owners manual that comes with the sedan you will see that the muffler is a left exhaust. Also look on page 18 of the Haynes Manual. Bob

Yes.....its funny....I have all the manuals and all the books.....and had seen the pictures of type 4 cars. .....with both left and right exhaust....and with both center exit and end exit exhaust......and never made the connection that they were left or right specific ....per model.

Also.....as I noted.....pretty much universal......whenever I went to buy a muffler.....usually a places like BAP-Geon and Beck-Arnley dealers......there was never a question or a choice of right or left hand. Right hand was all I ever found.

Looking at the books....Haynes, Clymer, Chiltons, Drake, InterEurope......in the Haynes and ij the owners manual....the publicity shots show sedan to the left and variant to the right.....but nothing SAYS they are specific.

Interstingly......in all of these manuals......all of the diagrams of the exhaust system are left exit...and all of them are center exit damper type....except in the Haynes 914 manual. They show that for the "early" 1.7l.....its a left exit center pipe style damper....and for 1974 and on 1.7L they show an end exit still to the left.

Most of the books appear to show the center exit damper style muffler....so I am wondering that if and when the end exit muffler came later.....for whatever reason. ...it may have no longer mattered what side the tail pipe went to. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:

Agree....but the picture on page 18....is the same factory stock photo that is used in Chilton, Clymer and Drake......and none of them show a right hand muffler and none of them state the left or right is specific to a certain model.....even though as you noted.....and according to the parts manual.....they are specific to sedan or variant.

Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

I have always connected the end exit muffler with the introduction of the 1.7l type 2(bus)...believing it was only factory fitted to buses...but that can wery well be wrong since an early bus parts manual shows a center exit left pointing tailpipe for the -72 1.7 bus.

Edit:
Possibly the end exit muffler was introduced (-75?) with the 2.0 bus engine...

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

There is a left side exhaust muffler on classifieds(as mentioned before) complete with the damphner, and picture of the part number and interestingly stamped on the muffler it says for Type 4 LE Variant. Bob
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. update with paint) Reply with quote

So, I'm now at odds with Maaco. Each time there is an issue (Code for we are going to up the price). I'd like to share with some rough photos of the work they completed. I'm seriously disappointed with them Perhaps, some forum advice (hold off on telling me not to go to Maaco). My overall cost is at 2,300 and rising. Listen, I'm not a painter, but am a rebuilder. If someone can give me some help on how to address the siuation, I'd be forever in you debt.

Here are some before pictures

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is thier progress thay I have thus far:

I did not expect a 10K paint jon, but now I'm screwd. Aside from my folder full of pnotos of car, i am going down with the original 'pre paint' photos. I've been restoring VWs for 30 years and never expecred such shoddy work.

Here are the after paint photos:

Cllearly a poor paint job. Any suggerions on how to address this with them tomorrow would be a grear help. - Ron
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

I will poat in the am. Too late tonight. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Thanks Ray!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Ok...here is my take on it. And a couple of questions:

1. I hope you did not take that home before addressing the issues with the paint shop

2. Was this done with the combination type system where the clear coat rises to the top as compared to a separate clear-coat? If so....some f these defects are part of the risks of that system and why I hate using it.

In the paint system where clear coat and base coat are applied at one package/layer....you have to have excellent bodywork and priming work, an excellently skilled painter with top notch equipment....and best of ll...a squeaky clean dust free paint shop....WITH correct environmental controls for temperature and humidity.

Many auto painters say they love this all in one paint system because it so easy and takes part less time.

However....because it puts a clear coat on all at one time...you do not get a second chance...to sand orange peel, shave drips with a drip shaver or wet sand inconsistencies in the color coat or remove dust specs during wet sanding...before the final clear coat goes on.

There are four main issues...three of which should not be allowed at all. Cheap paint jobs are cheap...not because they are bad but because they have less labor involved...and may use cheaper materials....and due to less prep involved...may last a lot shorter lifespan.

But outside of the car being beat up/not straight/or not clean enough for 20 years of adhesion.....the paint coat itself should be smooth, correctly done and mechanically sound no matter who painted it.

What I see:

1. Drips:....no excuse for these unless they are using the all in one system (base and clearcoat combined). Typically, even budget shops will use paint drip sanding blocks to quickly level runs and drips right after the paint has set.

Cheap $25 tools http://search.eastwood.com/auto/Paint%20Drip%20Shaver

But 7 out of 10 times you probably need to wet sand as well.

2. I see dust or debris specs. Same issue. No excuse. They should have gotten those out.

3. I saw one picture that looked like an air hose drag mark. No excuse.

4. This one may or may not be your problem. I know you did a lot of your own prep. I do not know what your agreement was for what they would do for any other bodywork or for priming work or for sanding glaze, filling imperfections etc.

Some of those look like scratches either in the primer or scratches left in bondo filler that are under the paint...low spots.

Some of these may have been able to be worked with...if they had used a "fill primer"...which is a primer that expands as it dries...maybe .001" to .002" to fill fine sanding scratches in body filler.

If this does not have a clearcoat on it....I would take it back and demand that the drips and debris are sanded out. Even if it does have a clearcoat on it..depending on paint type you may be al to just sand that all off down to color coat. Clean up he drips and grooves and then have one more basic color coat put on. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

As I wait nervously for the paint to finish, it's time to address the seats. Early on, I made purchased a set of front seats. Saved a while to get them. It turns out they are for a 4 ddoor sedan. I asked the seller (name witheld) specifically if seats are for a wagon. (Even sent me pics of the 'donor car').

So, now I'm faced with the challenge of what to do next. I read in one of the posts that the back resr tilt forward mechanism is transferrable. I'm hoping it is true. It just looks a little complicated. However, I took this journey with my car and am determined to restore it.

One thing that I learned is that the 411 seat hold down is a thinner diameter than the 412. However, the pieces are transferrable.

Suggestions or anyone selling 412 wagon seats?

Bottoms look similar:

Also, the original tilt back 412 seat needs a cable that controls back rest moving forward.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Typically the cable breaks at one of the ends. If you are willing to get under the seat cover to get to the cable you could replace it with a fabricated replacement wire.

Also...I have...somewhere in a box...the knob, chain drive and internal cogged tooth mechanism from a pair of reclining seats. The mounting points are already in the seats.

Also I think either Lars or someone else noted...that in the short term...there is a hidden catch on the non-reclining seats to make them recline when needed.

I agonized over the effort and cost re-covering and restoration of my seats for years. The type 4 seats are.... involved...compared to virtually any of the other ACVW seats. I have four of them....all of the covers and padding are totallly shot. I sat in them for 300k+ miles.

I want to stay stock...and they are just about the best ACVW stock seats...but with all of the other items I need to restore in this car....I have come to the conclusion that if I could get quality aftermarket seats in that are high quality...and at least 85-90% close to the originals...and mount the original head rest....that would be ideal.

I contacted ProCar a few years back about seat measurements and custom fabric inserts (which they will do). I have the CAD print somewhere but from the print and my measurements...I can mount the ProcCar 90 seats on the 411/412 seat slider sled...and keep the original plastic skirt and knobs.....and one would be hard pressed to tell it from factory.

Using the original head rests would mean taking the cover off of the Procar 90 seats and re-spacing the two uprights a little. Small welding...no big deal....as I would be removing the covers anyway to install seat heaters.

So that is an option to think about as well.

Here is the Pro-90 seat.

http://procarbyscat.com/seats/Pro-90

The guys at Pro-Car noted that if say...you want a specific color of fabric insert instead of all vinyl....if you send yard goods to them they will have it stitched in at the factory. The factory is off continent so the round trip on a custom insert seat is about 6 weeks as its a non-stock item.

This is view of an insert seat from the other side
http://procarbyscat.com/seat/80-1300-90l

Here is a dimension sketch

Also here is the "generic" basic mount for the procar seat. Its a basic bolt-up to the seat with four bolts and theem bolt to a car floor. this would bolt right into many new watercooled VW's

They have several versions of this including ratcheting sliders.....but....since the Pro-90 seat has these four basic bolt points to its seat pan...I can just as easily make plate brackets to bolt it to the existing slider bracket of the 412.

You can see in the diagrams how easy it would be to separate the lower seat spring assembly from the carrier rack. It should not be a big issue to bolt a Procar seat to the stock rack and rails...and that way the skirting and sliding knobs stay the same. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Ray, I really appreciate your feedback. Your replies always help and keep me motivated.

My goal this round is to see if I can still make stock seats from what I have.

So, I dismantled both seatbacks and here is the 411 seat back:

It has the chain and the back rest adjustment dial. This doesn't exist on my 412 seat. Either the PO's removed the dial, chain, etc. or it never came with my car.

Here is my rusty 412 seat back with the all important back rest tilt lever and the respective cable:

Here is my plan: Cut off the seat tilt lever and tack weld it to the donor 411 seat back. This way, I have a forward tilt AND the backrest adjustment, which didn't exist on my 412. (I can see the gears, etc in my old seatback, which leads me to think perhaps my 412 had that knob? Hmmm.

So, I sound real legit about tack welding it on, etc., but I can't weld. So, hopefully and old pal who is an iron worker can help with the seat mech.

Finally, Ray... I combed thru the diagrams as to where/how the backrest release cable connects. PO literally tied it around the bar under the seat. Beacause this bar moves forward and back, I assume that allows seat to tilt.

Just curious how it affixes to that bar. Certainly VW just didn't just tie it on. Thanks all. Wish me luck on my welding vision quest. Suggestions welcome.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

As far as I am familiar with...all of the 411 and 412 seat backs....except for POSSIBLY....some of the very early lowback/non-headrest versions on 411.....had the same seatback frame.

If they were 4 door.....they did not have tilting seats....but it can be added. I have only seen one without the recline option....but under the skin it was the same FRAME.m.just without the gears, chain or knob installed.....meaning you can install them.

The recline gears and chains should install right into your 412 seat back frame......or.....just look at the mounting points and see if you can swap the whole seat back to the bottom seat. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as I am familiar with...all of the 411 and 412 seat backs....except for POSSIBLY....some of the very early lowback/non-headrest versions on 411.....had the same seatback frame.

I can only speak for the 1972 411's and 1973 412's - the seat backs are identical, except that the back rest side release is spot welded to the side frame. Here is the rusty '73 seat back showing the spring and latch mechanism as well as the release cable: (the cable is barely visible next to the spring):

Here is the 'almost pristine' 411 seat back. Note it does not have the latch/spring mechanism, however, it does have the cut out in the side of the seat:

Quote:
If they were 4 door.....they did not have tilting seats....but it can be added. I have only seen one without the recline option....but under the skin it was the same FRAME.m.just without the gears, chain or knob installed.....meaning you can install them.

This makes sense. I'm attempting to make these non-tilting seats tilt. It looks like my 412 Variant seats have the gears and springs to support the recline feature, but as you noticed, no chain, dial, arm, etc.. Again Ray, I concur. However, by inspection, the 411 seats are in much better condition then my 412. So, my plan is to have the tilt mechanism removed from the 412 and transplanted on the 411 seat back. The only missing piece is where does the tilt-forward cable connect to under the seat??

One final note - if this is successful and I no longer need the 412 seat frames, I'm more than happy to give to a happy home. PM me for details.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Okay, I'm getting ready to clean the old grease off of the latching mechanisms (trunk / lift gate / doors, etc.). Can I get some recommendations as to what lubricant makes best sense considering the climate in NJ.

Thanks -R
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

For the cable use ATF. For the latch use a non oil based silicone lube. Look for a product callep Sil-glyde. NAPA used to carry it. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Great. Bought it (Sil-Glyde) online for $14.98 from NAPA. Thanks!
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Need some quick assistance re: front seats. Hard to tell from diagram.

1) Where shoud the seat back adjuster be oriented? Facing E- brake or the door itself?

2) Same question applies to seat forward tilt lever on side of backrest?

3) Where should the 2 adjustment levers that stick out of the plastic bottom skirt (on seat bottom) face? Again, toward e brake or face car door?

Ugh....Need some good karma.

Thanks all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 22

Jump to: