Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Expert opinions wanted
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

I bought my first beetle in 1969. It was titled as a '55. I have no record of the VIN. It had semaphores, overrider bumpers, and a red interior. As you can see from the pic, my tailor was a little sloppy with the pants. Wink

Last year, I found a car that I believe to be identical in all respects. Black over red, overriders, etc. It shows a build date of Nov 1954, with engine and body numbers from Oct 1954. As with my first car, I believe the red interior and overriders are original to the car.

However, a review of the paint/interior choices in the tech library does not include red interiors until later, in '55. Also, I've seen references to overrider bumpers being introduced after my "new" one was built.

So, can anyone shed some light on the details of my "new" car? Are my assumptions about interior color and bumpers incorrect? Thanks for any insights.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

You're in luck because everybody on the Internet is an expert, haha

As far as I know a U.S. Nov. '54 wouldn't have overriders although you might want to look into the add-on ram protection that's been discussed on here lately. Some other expert will have to chime in on the interior, although I'm thinking my Nov. '54 had remnants of red interior when I got it.
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip. It lead me to this post, showing standard overriders on a beetle that could be no newer than Oct '54.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642768

That's pretty compelling proof for me...overriders came earlier than I thought.

By the way, we also share a common interest in the P-brand, judging by your garage!
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

I also have a Nov '54 that is titled as a '55, black with a red interior, as well as semaphores and ram protection. It is a U.S. market car with an Oct '54 body. The original powertrain was gone when I got the car (1980) and the front seats and all 4 fenders had been replaced (w/'62 taillights). The rest of the car was pretty much original, except that it had been repainted yellow and primered twice over the yellow paint.

The easiest way to tell if it came with ram protection from the factory is to look for the rectangular plate at the bottom of the spare tire well. This plate raised the spare tire so it would not get jammed between the overrider brackets.

Nov/Dec '54 VWs also have a two month only speedometer, with the high beam indicator where the turn signal indicator should be and turn signal arrows at the top, like split-window buses. Nov '54 (10.54 dated) speedometers also have the generator and oil pressure lights reversed.

The Nov '54 US-market sedans all (w/one documented exception) run in a block of numbers between 1-07459XX and 1-07470XX. Mine is in about the middle of this run.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

Overriders were definitely an option for your month/year. They weren't standard for US cars, but were a $30 option.

See here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642768

My November 54 came with this option

The speedometer is actually a 3 month only production run...October-December
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

Go back to the car you recently found and look for traces of white paint on the hubs. Might still be there.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

I had a '54 that was original and had black paint and red interior. I no longer have the car so I don't know what month but that color combination was definitely available at that point.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

To clarify, I know that the car I recently bought isn't my first one. I bought it because it was identical, the closest thing I would expect to still having my first car. It's wonderful.

One question I forgot to ask: No heart taillights on either car, just the egg-style lenses that I keep hearing are a '55-only feature. Would that be correct?

And, thanks for all the feedback!
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

someone will know the exact dates i'm sure but the eggs ran for i think 8 months late 54 to early 55 so i do believe they would be correct for your car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks very much.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
someone will know the exact dates i'm sure but the eggs ran for i think 8 months late 54 to early 55 so i do believe they would be correct for your car

This might be some good info..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82127&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Eggs should be ~October 54 thru April 55. Another cool feature about this timeframe
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

Progressive Refinements lists the start of "egg" taillights at chassis # 1-0722916 on 1 October 1954.

Apparently two styles of "egg" lenses exist: the earlier version without the roundel in the center of the lens and the later version with the roundel. The roundel was in use by January 1955. My '54 did not have its original taillights, so it's not a good data point.

Also, Red leatherette interiors have been available on
black cars prior to March 1953, as Zwitters were produced in this color combination for the U.S. market.
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Expert opinions wanted Reply with quote

scarroll wrote:
By the way, we also share a common interest in the P-brand, judging by your garage!

Yes, I have a couple of extra fancy Volkswagens Laughing
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: