Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmissio
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chilllout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmissio Reply with quote

Hi,
I would like to put Porsche 986 BOXSTER S engine and 996 Carrera 2 tiptronic transmission to my VW T3 (T25). But before I start this project I need some information about this SWAP.

I would like to buy whole BOXSTER S with tiptronic transmission (after bump) and 996 Carrera 2 tiptronic transmission.
I heard about project where Boxster owners put 911 3.4 engine but nothing about 3.2 Boxster S engine with 911 tiptronic. Probably no one who have 911 would like to put smaller engine to his car.

Can anybody tell me is it possible to do?
I'm not worried about the mechanical connection to my van but I'm afraid about Porsche electronic etc.
What parts I need from 911? What problems might arise?

Thank you for yours help.
Bonio

Last edited by chilllout on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

I have no idea about the conversion, but, have had a similar thought !

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

I'd like to see it done Exclamation
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

It's possible, but make sure you are familiar with the intermediate shaft bearing failure and rear main seal problems that engine is known for. Those are both serious enough problems, that I'd be reluctant to spend a lot of money for a used one for such a conversion. Also, the intake manifold is quite tall on that engine, so it wouldn't fit below the engine cover.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

Boxster is mid engined, is that not a problem? Simpler to get a 911 engine and trans. What?
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

The biggest problem would be getting the electronics to work, aside from fitting issues.
If you plan on doing it yourself, an easier conversion would be either a 3.6 (look at the instaG) or a 3.2 mated to a Vanagon auto trans. The old MSDS conversions used a 3.2 911 bolted to a stock 4 speed trans. Though I'm sure the gearing was less than ideal. A Vanagon autotrans may need to be beefed up to take the torque and re-geared.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

either you could mount the engine and transaxle upside down in the back, or upright in the back and just drive backwards kidding
the emissions and exhaust systems are beautifully elegant, but as doc said, the engine dimensions and seal problems are your first hurdle. 27 inch height is about the max if you still want to isolate it from the cabin and even sleep over it on that futon.
the electronics deserve study, but I can tell you that most 90's + cars have electronics that intercommunicates with itsself via a twisted pair of bivoltage wires--they send 2.5 volts in both directions just like a telegraph wire.
they do system checks/ roll call, and process input and control module adjustments in fractions of a second. this is where operational efficiency is realized, better performance, lower emissions and fuel consumption.
Its rather simple after you get to know your particular system. talk to dealer line mechanics--Porsche will probably have a better class of factory boys than the domestics like my Chrysler. Dealer electricians were backing through the shop door and running away at Chrysler dealerships on my project, and the one I did pay to discover a 5v wire I accidentally paired out to the throttle position sensor did a lousy job of replacing the wire, using three pieces. 200.00 bill but he found the problem. it would start but die when I gave it throttle.
the narrative describing the electronics in the factory manual will tell you what components you will need to feed and house the system.
I needed the instrument cluster, but not the airbag cm or any of the environmental, but I needed the body control module to comm with the instruments. your largest hurdle will probably be A: getting the transmission control module from a different vehicle to function with the 3.2L or 3.4L engine cm. Its so much easier to use all factory matched equipment from the same vehicle and just focus on orchestrating the location and life support of that power kit.
B: the antitheft system can get weird after the year 2k with immobilizers but I found that cutting and isolating the door lock sensor wire so they cant ground and state that all doors are closed and locked, the system simply wont arm.
get curious and go find answers to the big stuff first--dimensions, hp and torque, economy, donor cost, snafus from Stuttgart like the seal thing, [is there a fix like the 3 layer steel headgasket on late 90's subarus], and have you driven one? you should drive a potential donor for at least a month or two to get to know it so you don't feel unintroduced after the conversion. "oh, it did that in the donor" It will be a lot of work, but if your heart is in it it won't feel like it, and you will have a truly innovative ride that will bring a feeling unknown in common hours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

The engine from a Boxster has the same rotation as a 996 engine.
The R&P is flipped to work as a mid engine setup.
996 C2 triptronic has a lot of wiring and also the early pre 2002 models are slow shifting...
A Getrag G96/31 six speed from an 996 it would be very good to used instead...

Jim
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

Bullizentrale put a 2.5 Boxster engine and manual gearbox in this Vanagon: http://www.bullizentrale.com/vwt3/index.php/porsche.html

You should ask them.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

to go to all that trouble for an additional .3 litres, although they are Porsche , which more than doubles that gain, the Stuttgart flat sixes lack the torque required for a 5k lb+ van, as they are designed for a little car. everyone looks to little cars for the vanagon solution. no one looks with an engineer's eye. the four cylinder provides a quaint sewing machine feel, classic to Volkswagen, but your time and budget deserves better. vanagon friends don't let friends install 4 bangers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chilllout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

Hi thanks for all posts I gonna try to connect boxster s with 996 tiprtonic, well maybe not me in person but any garage. Smile

Marry Christmas

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

I know of a Boxster have the engine replaced with a VW 1.8T Wink
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche BOXSTER S engine and Carrera 2 tiptronic transmi Reply with quote

this thread is like that episode of its always sunny where dee has a boyfriend who is a rapper....
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: