Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Automatic Vanagon no start Please HELP!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Preston532
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: 1991 Automatic Vanagon no start Please HELP! Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm new to the samba and I know there are a million no start threads on here and was therefore reluctant to add a new one but I just can't find any info on this in the Bentley or elsewhere. So here goes nothin.

My 91 bus has been parked for about a year and a half at this point while I make repairs that I deemed necessary. I initially parked it because the fuel tank was rusted to hell and I didn't want to kill another fuel pump until it was replaced. So anyway I replaced the fuel tank and many hoses as well as the fuel pump. I also replaced the rear brakes, some coolant hoses, radiator, and trans cooler as preventive maintenance. When I was putting the coolant lines back on in the engine bay I broke the terminal off one of the wires to the starter. It was one of the spade terminals on the back of the starter (there are two of these terminals on an auto 91 vanagon. One is oriented horizantally and the other vertically) the other wires to the starter are eye terminals and I didn't mess with them. However, I may have mixed the two spade terminals up when I repaired the wire but I have tried switching them to no avail. At this point the fuel pump runs when key is turned "on" and I know fuel is getting to the injectors. The engine turns over but just won't fire. I thought spark might be an issue so I tested the coil and i'm getting spark from there. Also, when I jump the outer terminals of the hall sender plug, the injectors click and fuel pump runs. Based on the research i've done, this points to the hall sender as the issue. Does this sound right to you guys? It seems odd that it would just quit like that but I know it's a fairly common issue. Has anyone else had a hall sender go out? Is there a foolproof way of testing the hall sender? I just don't want to spend more time and money replacing things I don't need as i'm trying to save for a subaru swap. On the other hand I want to see this engine hit 200,000 and i'm only at 172k. Keep in mind the starter wires I mentioned. If anyone has a photo of the wire orientation on an auto starter I can confirm that it's correct. I really appreciate any help offered. I'm dead in the water here.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Automatic Vanagon no start Please HELP! Reply with quote

You have spark at the plugs?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Automatic Vanagon no start Please HELP! Reply with quote

Preston532 wrote:
... Based on the research i've done, this points to the hall sender as the issue. Does this sound right to you guys? It seems odd that it would just quit like that but I know it's a fairly common issue. Has anyone else had a hall sender go out? ...

The wires and the connectors (three of them) corrode and may not complete the circuits. Look at them a give them a few tugs. If they break, they needed replacing. If they don't break, remove them, clean them up and grease them.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Preston532
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Automatic Vanagon no start Please HELP! Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check for spark at plugs when cranking this weekend. I don't have a helper at present. I'll also look at the connections on the hall sender plug. Hopefully one of you is right!
Preston532
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Automatic Vanagon no start Please HELP! Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, Do either of you know what the different wires to the starter do on an automatic vanagon? I couldn't find anything in the Bentley. I just want to know for future reference
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: