Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat Exchanger Flaps
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conners68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I could not find it.
I have pulled down my 1972 1300 Beetle as it needs a major overhaul. The flap that controls the heat inside one of the heat exchanger has come adrift from the control arm and is just rattling about inside.

Is this something that can be repaired? It looks like I might be able to prise some of the cover off, but other parts look welded.

Any advice for a novice mechanic greatly received.
bikelash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

The heat exchanger can be taken apart but it is a bit of work to do and a bit to put back together. You may have better success searching for one in the classifieds or at a junkyard. (Highly recommend staying with original equipment). There is a post on here that talks about taking one apart and he had to weld it back together IIRC.

64 baja sold
72 sb wrecked
69 baja sold
69 std sold
72 sb sold
54 std sold
74 sb-ongoing
88 westy-ongoing
Conners68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Thanks Bikelash,
I will have a look around
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to split the whole thing just to get at the flap. The top section that holds the flap in place comes off separately, and it's really not that hard to put back on.

Unless you really mangle it during the removal process, you won't need a welder or anything to put it back on, just a stout pair of pliers and maybe a pry-bar or a screwdriver.

Here's what it looks like with the top off:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is just to show off how proud I am of how my heat exchangers turned out:

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:

This is just to show off how proud I am of how my heat exchangers turned out:

Very nice. Are they oem u reconditioned or what?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Thanks. You know, I'm not sure if they're OEM or not. They're not OG, with the really nice, deeeeeeeeeeep fins, but they're also not the cheap ones that are basically just a J-pipe in a clam shell. I think they were made in Denmark. One thing is for sure, I spent way more time on them than any normal, well-adjusted human being should.

Here's what the guts look like:

bikelash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Nicely done! I knew there was a couple of people that had split them open but couldn't track it down in the time I was on earlier.

64 baja sold
72 sb wrecked
69 baja sold
69 std sold
72 sb sold
54 std sold
74 sb-ongoing
88 westy-ongoing
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Just tripped over this thread. Hate to say it after you put in so much hard work, but those are cheaply built HEs. If you want good heat to the interior and much better engine cooling in the Summer get an OG set and fix them up.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470019&highlight=dansk+cross+section
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Yes, for sure this style heat exchanger is less efficient than the deep finned OG style, but I don't believe they're anywhere near as bad as the REALLY cheap ones that don't have any fins at all!

The reason I didn't want to run a set of OG exchangers is because my heating system has been modified and doesn't count on the constant airflow from the fan shroud anymore. I posted of few pics of the system here (I come in towards the middle of page one):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644536&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Without the constant airflow from the fan shroud, I fully expect the cast aluminum fins to melt soon (if they haven't already), at which point I intend to split the shells open again and weld in some fins of my own design. Doing this to a pair of OG heat exchangers would have been a crime, in my opinion.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that head and oil temps will run a lot hotter without air flow thru the HEs, and the warmer the weather the more too hot those will get.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Just keep in mind that head and oil temps will run a lot hotter without air flow thru the HEs, and the warmer the weather the more too hot those will get.

I've heard of this theory before from a couple different people. And while I'll admit that I can understand the logic behind it, I must also admit that I respectfully disagree with it, and this is why:

1. J-pipes are not designed to have cooling air flowing over them, and as far as I know, that's never caused anyone's cylinder heads to overheat.

2. The exhaust manifolds coming off of cylinders 2 and 4 also do not have cooling air flowing over them, and this does not cause the cylinder heads to overheat.

3. The heat exchangers do not sit directly under the heads, they sit off at an angle under the valve covers. This, plus the fact that they are wrapped with an insulating layer of air (air is a very, very good thermal barrier), in my opinion debunks the idea that heat radiating off of them will heat the heads. And on top of that, the insides of my shells are ceramic coated and polished to reflect the heat back inside. In fact, after a good, hard run, I can almost touch the outer part of the shells with my bare hands, without too much discomfort.

4. The gasket between the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold also acts as a thermal barrier, so heat from the manifold can't get back to the head that way, either.

5. And finally, perhaps the main reason why I disagree with this theory, is because of the simple fact that my engine does NOT run hot without constant airflow through the heat exchangers, even crossing the Mojave, in June, with 116°F ambient temps, while climbing from 930 feet ASL to 4700 feet ASL over a course of 36 miles at 60 mph in top gear. A truer test than that, I cannot devise!

So why were heat exchangers designed to have fresh air constantly flowing through them, if not to prevent the heads from overheating? Simple. The pot-metal aluminum fins will definitely overheat without a constant supply of cooling air, and may even get hot enough to actually melt!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Would guess you were running too hot as is in those conditions. What oil temps were you getting on that run?

Our test is finding ones oil temp runs 30 degrees higher without flow thru the HEs, and once flow was resumed the oil temp dropped back down. Only way the engine oil could be affected by the HEs not having flow is thru the heads. BTDT, and was quite surprised in 70s F weather around town and on the highway.

That thin gasket is not going to do much to insulate from hundreds of degrees of temp. If it did the home housing industry would use that material to insulate homes floors walls and roofs to keep less than a hundred degrees temp from transfering.

Personally think it is more than just one single factor heating up the HEs. The big one possibly being that insulating the HEs with dead air around the exhaust piping is causing the exhaust to not condense as much and in turn causes back pressure and the heads/cylinders run hotter.

As mentioned thru that link Steve of Wolfgang noticed a cooling problem with just going to 60 mm outlet HEs with the inside pipes being corrugated to the earlier 50 mm HEs that just have a round shaped inside pipes. More surface area the more the exhaust heat transfers to the outer fins.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Would guess you were running too hot as is in those conditions. What oil temps were you getting on that run?

On that particular run, oil temps maxed out at around 240°F about halfway into the climb, and immediately dropped to about 210-215°F once I got over the pass and began coasting at idle down the back side. Both heads were in the upper 320°F range (measured with an infrared gun, as soon as I got a chance to pull over and check). When ambient temps are in the low to mid 90's, and cruise speeds are around 60-70 mph, my oil temperature usually hovers around 215-225°F. Between 80-90°F ambient at 60-70 mph, oil temps are usually between 190-210°F, depending on the road gradient. At temps much below 50°F, I actually have a slight problem with the engine running too COLD (oil temps between 160°F and 180°F). After hard runs down the highway, I have never measured head temps hotter than 330-340°F, and I can actually place my hand directly on the engine case with little to no discomfort (I'm very proud of this, in fact!). Before you ask, I use 10w-30 synthetic and do not have an external oil cooler.

Quote:
Our test is finding ones oil temp runs 30 degrees higher without flow thru the HEs, and once flow was resumed the oil temp dropped back down. Only way the engine oil could be affected by the HEs not having flow is thru the heads. BTDT, and was quite surprised in 70s F weather around town and on the highway.

I'm curious about your test. Could you explain it in better detail? The only possible way I can think of for heat exchangers to have such an effect on oil temperature is if the fresh air tubes from the fan shroud are removed and blocked (creating unwanted turbulence inside the shroud itself), and the openings of the heat exchangers are left open (allowing super-heated air to be sucked back into the engine compartment). Other than that, I cannot see how the two could possibly be related.

Quote:
That thin gasket is not going to do much to insulate from hundreds of degrees of temp. If it did the home housing industry would use that material to insulate homes floors walls and roofs to keep less than a hundred degrees temp from transfering.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but do you have any empirical data to prove that? I don't have any data on the insulating properties of that gasket either, I just know that it IS a thermal barrier, and you don't need very much insulation to block heat transfer through conduction (as opposed to convection or radiation). Also, keep in mind that we are not talking about two objects that are at vastly different temperatures, such as 900°F for the one and 75°F for the other. Measuring with an infrared gun, I have found that there is really not much temperature difference at all between the exhaust port in the cylinder head and the flange of the manifold. In fact, in my experience it's the exhaust port that tends to be the hotter of the two.

Quote:
Personally think it is more than just one single factor heating up the HEs. The big one possibly being that insulating the HEs with dead air around the exhaust piping is causing the exhaust to not condense as much and in turn causes back pressure and the heads/cylinders run hotter.

Again, you could be right, but this sounds a little counter-intuitive to me. How could hotter, thinner air create more back pressure than cooler, thicker air? For sure, the temperature of the gases flowing through the manifold will affect the "tune" of the exhaust system, but I've always considered it a general truth that hotter gases flow better than cooler ones.

Quote:
As mentioned thru that link Steve of Wolfgang noticed a cooling problem with just going to 60 mm outlet HEs with the inside pipes being corrugated to the earlier 50 mm HEs that just have a round shaped inside pipes. More surface area the more the exhaust heat transfers to the outer fins.

I just read this link you posted, and while I'm not doubting his results, you have to admit they were hardly scientific. A lot of different things could have caused his cooling problems. Maybe it was the size of the fins in his heat exchangers, maybe it was a more restrictive exhaust manifold, or maybe it was two or three other things that got changed in the process- who knows.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:

On that particular run, oil temps maxed out at around 240°F about halfway into the climb, and immediately dropped to about 210-215°F once I got over the pass and began coasting at idle down the back side. Both heads were in the upper 320°F range (measured with an infrared gun, as soon as I got a chance to pull over and check). When ambient temps are in the low to mid 90's, and cruise speeds are around 60-70 mph, my oil temperature usually hovers around 215-225°F. Between 80-90°F ambient at 60-70 mph, oil temps are usually between 190-210°F, depending on the road gradient. At temps much below 50°F, I actually have a slight problem with the engine running too COLD (oil temps between 160°F and 180°F). After hard runs down the highway, I have never measured head temps hotter than 330-340°F, and I can actually place my hand directly on the engine case with little to no discomfort (I'm very proud of this, in fact!). Before you ask, I use 10w-30 synthetic and do not have an external oil cooler.

Would be interesting to see you do the same run with and with and without HE air flow to see the changes. Personally keep our engines below 220F and found it doubled and with the last engine tripled the engine longevity in our heavier buses.

Quote:

I'm curious about your test. Could you explain it in better detail? The only possible way I can think of for heat exchangers to have such an effect on oil temperature is if the fresh air tubes from the fan shroud are removed and blocked (creating unwanted turbulence inside the shroud itself), and the openings of the heat exchangers are left open (allowing super-heated air to be sucked back into the engine compartment). Other than that, I cannot see how the two could possibly be related.

Simply by blocking and unblocking the oil temp gauge raised and lowered. Have known others who have done the same with equal results.

Quote:

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but do you have any empirical data to prove that? I don't have any data on the insulating properties of that gasket either, I just know that it IS a thermal barrier, and you don't need very much insulation to block heat transfer through conduction (as opposed to convection or radiation). Also, keep in mind that we are not talking about two objects that are at vastly different temperatures, such as 900°F for the one and 75°F for the other. Measuring with an infrared gun, I have found that there is really not much temperature difference at all between the exhaust port in the cylinder head and the flange of the manifold. In fact, in my experience it's the exhaust port that tends to be the hotter of the two.

Again, think that back pressure is more of a factor.

Quote:
Again, you could be right, but this sounds a little counter-intuitive to me. How could hotter, thinner air create more back pressure than cooler, thicker air? For sure, the temperature of the gases flowing through the manifold will affect the "tune" of the exhaust system, but I've always considered it a general truth that hotter gases flow better than cooler ones.

Air is just a good insulator, which is why both the space shuttle and your home fiber glass insulation works so well, and why double paned windows are the standard today. Hotter thinner air keeps expanding, cooling it down condenses it. Almost all things have a Goldie Locks point. Just because hot is good does not mean that even hotter is better.
Double expansion engines worked off the fact that exhaust gases could be used to move another bigger piston..

Quote:

I just read this link you posted, and while I'm not doubting his results, you have to admit they were hardly scientific. A lot of different things could have caused his cooling problems. Maybe it was the size of the fins in his heat exchangers, maybe it was a more restrictive exhaust manifold, or maybe it was two or three other things that got changed in the process- who knows.

Just changing out the HEs made the difference. Exterior finning is very close to the same. Big difference is the amount of inside of the pipe surface area is increased. No other changes.

Would not sweat the 160-180 F oil temp, since the stock VW thermostat opens up at 160 F.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Yes, it would be interesting. My bet is that there would be no change whatsoever, with a slight possibility that cooling down half of the manifolds in my exhaust system would actually make it run a bit worse. I would even go so far as to say that, if you or anyone else thinks they can load up a bug with themselves, plus another 400 pounds worth of tools and spare parts, and make a 3800-foot climb over 36 miles in 116°F heat at 60 mph in top gear AND keep their oil temps below 240°F (using just the stock doghouse oil cooler, heat exchangers are optional), then I am hereby issuing a formal challenge!

I agree that keeping oil temps at or below 220°F could be beneficial to engine longevity. I also believe that a few minutes in the 230-250°F range, such as when operating under a heavy load in extreme ambient temps, will cause no damage to either the oil, or the engine. It is actually very difficult for me to get my oil temps above 220°F. I pretty much have to cruise at 70 mph for 30 minutes, with ambient temps around 95°F, and maybe climb a few hills to do it. And even then, the oil only gets up to around 225°F. Again, this is with no airflow through the heat exchangers.

Could you be more specific about your test? For example, what exactly was blocked and unblocked, and how? Were the tests conducted under similar conditions, i.e. same velocity and load, same ambient temps, etc.? Were the results repeatable, or was it just a single, random event? Can you explain why you got these results?

What I'm trying to get at is that my understanding of how the system works, which is based on data from my own research, tests and observations, has shown me results that appear contradictory to yours. Before I can come to a definitive conclusion as to who I believe is right and who I believe is wrong (if anyone), I need to know why that is.

So, if I understood you correctly, you are saying that, according to your tests, the constant airflow over the no. 1 and no. 3 exhaust manifolds cools the exhaust gases flowing through them, thereby increasing back pressure, and this back pressure then keeps the cylinder heads cool enough to cause a drop in oil temperature of up to 30°F. Is this correct?

I would be leery of oil temperatures below 180°F. I don't know the minimum temperature at which motor oil properly lubricates engine components, but I do know that too cold is just as bad, if not worse, than too hot. 180°F to 230°F is my personal comfort zone. Also, I'm pretty sure the temperature at which the thermostat opens has very little to do with how an ACVW engine maintains proper oil temps.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Could you be more specific about your test? For example, what exactly was blocked and unblocked, and how? Were the tests conducted under similar conditions, i.e. same velocity and load, same ambient temps, etc.? Were the results repeatable, or was it just a single, random event? Can you explain why you got these results?

The shroud tubes were closed off to blowing into the HEs. The HEs were closed off from the from the engine compartment. Just used AL foil and hose clamps. Then driven around town and on the highway. When closed off the oil temp went up 30 F, when opened back up the temp went back down. This only takes about fifteen minutes so weather and outside temp did not change enough to notice. Not sure how to explain it any better than keeping the HEs tubes hot creates back pressure, which in turn seems to create more head cylinder heat and that transfers to the oil temp rise.

Floating VW wrote:
So, if I understood you correctly, you are saying that, according to your tests, the constant airflow over the no. 1 and no. 3 exhaust manifolds cools the exhaust gases flowing through them, thereby increasing back pressure, and this back pressure then keeps the cylinder heads cool enough to cause a drop in oil temperature of up to 30°F. Is this correct?

Actually think it decreases back pressure due to cooling condenses the exhaust gases. The #1 & 3 cylinders have a lot longer run to the muffler so VW designed the HEs to have constant air flow thru.

Floating VW wrote:
I would be leery of oil temperatures below 180°F. I don't know the minimum temperature at which motor oil properly lubricates engine components, but I do know that too cold is just as bad, if not worse, than too hot. 180°F to 230°F is my personal comfort zone. Also, I'm pretty sure the temperature at which the thermostat opens has very little to do with how an ACVW engine maintains proper oil temps.

For us in the PNW cool it is hard to get the oil temp much above about 170 F @ 3,000 RPM cruising along for 4 to 6 months in our cooler weather. Last engine we got over 80,000 miles on and only pulled it due to the end play got too much, otherwise it was running like new. Now have over 140,000 miles on SP 1641 cc engine with CW crank, 9 mm exhaust valves, type 4 cooler in DH, Porsche gen pulley and that engine is still running like new. So running that cool of oil temp does not seem to affect the engine badly. Did in the past run the engines without the thermostat that caused problem with water and raw fuel in the oil and the oil filler and especially breather tube full of oil/water mayo.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

OK, so I have a couple of doubts about your test results. You say you blocked off the inlets to the heat exchangers when you did your test. This is good. However, you also say you blocked off the outlets from the fan shroud. This is a very common mistake people make, usually in an attempt to "increase the air going to the heads". The fan shroud "needs" to have a certain amount of air flowing through these outlets to function properly. Along with preventing the cast aluminum fins from melting, I believe this is the real reason why the heat exchangers were designed to allow air to continue to flow through them, even if that air wasn't being used to heat the cabin. Will blocking off those outlets cause a 30°F spike in oil temps? Possibly, but it sounds like a stretch to me.

So, what else could have contributed to such a drastic rise in temperature? I'm wondering if maybe you didn't do your initial test during the heat of the day, perhaps going up the hill on your way to town. And then, a little later in the evening, after unblocking the fan shroud and reconnecting the heat exchangers, you headed for home going down the hill, and noticed that the oil was 30°F cooler. I'm not saying you DID do that, but you can see how these little things could skew your results. The only way to know for sure would be to repeat your test (the more times you repeat it, the better), under the EXACT same conditions as possible. This is why I say I have no doubt that a lack of airflow over my heat exchangers does not cause my engine to run hotter (excepting, of course, the heat exchangers). I have four separate thermometers to monitor both engine and ambient temps (well, technically, one of them is a pyrometer). And, due to the modifications I made to my heating system, I am able to turn on (or off) the air flowing through the heat exchangers with the flick of a switch. Every time I drive the car, these temperatures are observed and compared, and the conditions under which they occured are noted (including when the heat is turned off and on), and this is how I know that everything is functioning well and within normal parameters, every time I drive the car.

The final doubt I have is in regards to your theory of why an "uncooled" exhaust manifold would cause a rise in cylinder head and oil temps. I think we both agree that, for reasons previously stated, heat transfer through conduction, convection and radiation are not likely causes. We also agree that excessive back pressure in the manifold definitely could be a cause. I think the problem with your theory is this:
Quote:
Actually think it decreases back pressure due to cooling condenses the exhaust gases.

Cooling the exhaust gases doesn't decrease back pressure, it increases it. Back pressure is the resistance to positive flow, and cooler gases, being thicker and more condensed, will resist flow. The hotter (and therefore thinner) the gas is, the easier it will be to push from one end a tube to the other. Think of a garden hose filled with water, as opposed to a garden hose filled with air. Which one will be easier to blow through?

I supposed it is conceivable that the exhaust system could be tuned so that, at a specific RPM, the pulse from one cylinder will coincide with the pulse from another, thereby causing an instantaneous moment of back pressure in the exhaust manifold for that cylinder, and that by cooling the exhaust gases in one or more of the exhaust manifolds it would be possible to change the velocity of these pulses to reduce this momentaneous back pressure. But, again, this sounds a little far-fetched to me.

It's good to hear that oil temps below 170°F don't seem to be having any detrimental effects on your engines. I know I'll sleep a little better at night for knowing that.

P.S. I've spent a little time in the PNW (I used to live in Anchorage). Lovely bit of country out there.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:

Cooling the exhaust gases doesn't decrease back pressure, it increases it. Back pressure is the resistance to positive flow, and cooler gases, being thicker and more condensed, will resist flow. The hotter (and therefore thinner) the gas is, the easier it will be to push from one end a tube to the other. Think of a garden hose filled with water, as opposed to a garden hose filled with air. Which one will be easier to blow through?

Because the gas is still expanding after it leaves the cylinder. We are not talking about dropping the exhaust temp by an extreme amount, just keeping the exhaust from expanding so much more in the tubing. Think of trying to blow air through a hose and while an air compressor was blowing air into the middle of the hose. Plus if more back pressure was a good thing why do those who run more horse power without much bigger engine invest into bigger diameter exhaust to reduce back pressure?

Tests were done on same route and just after the switch back and forth, so not hours later with a big difference between the cool evening/morn or heat of day, and not suddenly going over a mountain range.

Floating VW wrote:

It's good to hear that oil temps below 170°F don't seem to be having any detrimental effects on your engines. I know I'll sleep a little better at night for knowing that.

Glad to help with that. We get comments all the time from other drivers at rest stops and gas stations on how unreliable those old VWs were for them. Have even been told we were "so brave" to do cross country trips in our 1960 walk thru panel bus!
Used to rebuild these engines about ever 30,000 to 40,000 miles all due to running them too high of temp and RPM. Not that those engines stopped running, but they would just not climb the hills anything like they did when just rebuilt and show a lot of wear inside the case.
Learned a lot from old VW repair shop owners, and tinkering we did ourselves.
75Flamebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

How the heck do you get those apart? I try to get my heat exhangers apart, but it was a pain the butt, so I quit on them.... Sad Mad
----------Since Oct 2014----------
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger Flaps Reply with quote

There are a few spot welds at the rear you just break loose. Then peel the two sheet metal pieces apart like a banana...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: