Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Calpart rims - finishing options
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

As the welding seams have a slightly different color I am not sure if a shiny polish will end up all that good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have come across some nice rims from Markus Walker, and I like the ways they are done: polished face lip, light eloxated sterns and a black backend.

I have tried to simulate some paint options and invite your feedback on which one looks best.

Flat Titanium

Glossy Porsche Brown

Silver Gloss with Black Back

Gun Metal

Don't get distracted or biased by the body paint. I might repaint the body in some years from now, so the wheels should rather stay in neutral color.

I will use the spinners, so from that perspective a too light color does not match my taste at least.

What is your preference, or any other color combo suggestions? I will try to simulate them here.

And yes, I will use Avon Cr6ZZ on the rims. So the white sidewall lettering will go.

I have a hard top in Black, and the interior of the car is black. The new roll bar I am currently fabricating will be painted in Grey, Silver, Gun Metal or Black. So here, no brownish touch.

Appreciate your thoughts...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

I like silver spokes with the polished outer.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

Flat titanium or gunmetal
63Fiberbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

I'm in market to refinish my rims as well; who offers polishing services for vintage American Racing rims (think they're magnesium)? I've never seen the polished outer with different finish on spokes...like it!
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

Medium to dark charcoal gray is my favorite spoke color on that type of wheel. The P-Car "RS" finish looks pretty cool too, but on a buggy I like to see some "shiny" on the rims. Cool

Try polishing one rim out and see how well the weld blends. You could also clear coat or even bright silver coat the outer rim portion if the metal blending/weld area is still too obvious after polishing. A clear powder coat takes just a hint of the shine away from a fully polished (mirror-like finish) and might be just enough to hide the weld work? It also protects the aluminum so it doesn't have to be religiously re-polished on a regular basis.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

Appreciate your comments and tips!

I will go for a silver / gun metal look, and will not offset the spokes in different color tone.

I will test-polish the weld seam to check appearance to decide, how far from the outer lip I am going to polish, and where to apply paint.

I will not go for powder coating, as coating temps during drying in the oven might damage / weaken the rim (aluminium).

I will use some automotive 2-component paint / clear to paint the rim and seal polished areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

andygere wrote:

Me too.

For powder coating, the heat has not harmed other aluminum rims that get PC'ed every day. But, I do not like PC'ing. Too hard to remove if you change your choice on colors in the future. And with paint, you do not have to worry about rust coming through on these wheels.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
andygere wrote:

Me too.

For powder coating, the heat has not harmed other aluminum rims that get PC'ed every day. But, I do not like PC'ing. Too hard to remove if you change your choice on colors in the future. And with paint, you do not have to worry about rust coming through on these wheels.

The reason I mentioned the PC-alloy concern is BBS (a German Sports and Race wheel manufacturer) expressedly steps back from all warranty or liabilities if their rims are being PCd or mechanically treated (blasting to harden the surface).

It might have to do with the requirement to clean the rims before PC, one option being a chemical cleaning. It is believed this treatment might change or damage the structure of the surface of the rim.
This is what I heard so you know the background; but I agree with you, I will not PC my rims and go with a nice automotive paint applied by myself.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

I'd gamble that just about every OEM aluminum rim on just about every new vehicle available today is powder coated, usually a bright silver. It's a tough finish when done properly (key words there!).

The BBS response is likely due to they can't be responsible for a "modified" rim - and they sure make some nice ones! The gold standard wheel brand for decades. Probably worried about some dodgy PC work corroding underneath and causing unseen degradation, possibly leading to litigation.

Painting can be nice too though, and much easier to re-do if necessary. Those are going to be some great looking rims when you're finished!
mike1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

what steps did you take to get that great polished look.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Calpart rims - finishing options Reply with quote

mike1954 wrote:
what steps did you take to get that great polished look.

None, they came like that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: