Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

Hey guys
Currently shopping Odyssey batteries for both the starting battery and an auxiliary battery. The battery Odyssey recommends for a direct replacement is the PC1200MJT group 42 (Length: 7.995" - Width: 6.79" - Height: 6.8625")

Not concerning myself with mounting it using the stock hold down, what is the largest battery I could physically fit on the battery trays?

Aux battery list & sizes; http://www.odysseybattery.com/performance_battery_specs.aspx

Starting battery list & sizes; http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

Short answer: Big
Long answer: Large

There's already like a shit ton of threads on batteries though. I'd take a gander at them first, because that question is asked often

Take a look at this thread: Auxillery Battery & A GrapeSolar GLACIER 1.1 Fridge

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Short answer: Big
Long answer: Large

There's already like a shit ton of threads on batteries though. I'd take a gander at them first, because that question is asked often

Take a look at this thread: Auxillery Battery & A GrapeSolar GLACIER 1.1 Fridge

Lol yep, I've scoured them ALL. I've got two screens at work, they're both full and I wasn't able to find a solid answer. The post you linked to is mine, though it gets me closer, no cigar.
Next step is to make some battery shapes out of cardboard.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

Has your research turned up any opinions (or facts!) about using two 6v batteries tied together? My dad swears by this method for deep cycle work at 12v.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

I have a hard time understanding why people feel they always need something bigger. It's like oil pumps. The 26mm works just fine but if someone sells a bigger pump, people are sure to buy it. As far as batteries go I would think a tape measure and a trip to your local battery store would solve your problem. I really doubt that all the money spent on exotic batteries will pay off. As long as you buy a good quality lead acid battery instead of some crap brand I think you'll be just fine. There is always someone out there that's willing to take your money and sell you some kind of imaginary security.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

asiab3, yes. The solar guys do that if they've got the space, typically in a shallow but long space like under the back seat. I didn't consider it an option for myself until you mentioned it, but that may be a viable way to squeeze more capacity in there if two will fit next to each other.

aeromech, I live in the bus and I'm converting from plug in to full off grid. I will be going solar eventually, but in the mean time I'll be charging both batteries using the alternator while running a fridge and vent fan - I'll need extra capacity until I can install the secondary charging source so I don't run out of juice. Also, I'll probably be up in Alaska within the next couple of years so I might need some extra power for cold starts.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

I like that double 6v idea. But a nice sealed deep cycle and a battery warmer will serve you will.

Make sure it's HD and made in the U S of A
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
battery warmer will serve you

Not if I can't plug in Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

I have run Group 79 side terminal batteries on my old '74. The tray actually accepted this size just fine. My present tray is designed with the much smaller Group 42 in mind.

I am a big fan of large batteries and fat wires, this just makes the engine start like a breeze and seems to extend of the life of the starter, alternator, and the battery.

The one Diehard Group 79 I had lasted 13 years and another Group 27 Diehard I had in my pickup died at 11 years when the battery tray collapsed dropping the battery.
ZachL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

There's only a handful of companies that actually manufacture batteries, which are then bought by all sort of companies who sticker them with their own brands and resell. Two of the biggest companies are East Penn and Johnson Controls.

My one recommendation is to go with an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery. All AGM batteries are virtually spillproof, vibration-resistant, and allow installation in virtually any position. The spill proof technology is what allows web vendors to ship AGM batteries ready to go out of the box. Standard lead / acid batteries are shipped dry (no acid) and then the acid is typically added at the parts store or its central warehouse prior to delivery to the customer.

I recommend East Penn. Their house brand makes the Deka Intimidator AGM, but the DieHard Advanced Gold AGM is the same battery, the cheapest I could find, and available to order online and pickup at any local Sears store. The Johnson Control batteries seem to have gone done in quality the last several years, including the Optima line which they manufacture. Do some research and Google'ing and you'll see a ton of people having them less than 2 years.

FYI Odyssey used to make the DieHard Platinum batteries. You might be able to find the Odyssey battery for substantially lower price, just with a different sticker on the outside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

Wildthings, I'm with you. I'll be converting to 2g USA made high temp auto wire shortly.

ZachL
Thank you for the information, but none of that is pertinent to the inquiry.
myvantastic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

I have 2 Optima yellow AGM 55ah batteries in my left battery tray.
It fits perfectly!

Chris
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Largest Starting & Auxiliary Odyssey Battery Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Has your research turned up any opinions (or facts!) about using two 6v batteries tied together? My dad swears by this method for deep cycle work at 12v.

Robbie

Times have probably changed, but 20-30 years ago 6v batteries seemed to be built using 1920 era technology so tended to give life expectancy problems. In theory yes two 6v in series should work better than two 12v in parallel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: