Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msmittyu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

How new of a model transmission can I put in my 1973 super beetle

Joe[/b]
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

Any bug trans from 1969-79 will work. They are called type 1 IRS

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

A IRS from 69-72 will work but you will have to use the nose cone off your 73. It is a very simple swap and only requires a gasket or sealing the nosecone with RTV.

If you use a 69-70 IRS you will also have to change the pressure plate, or add the centering ring to your 73 pressure plate.
msmittyu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

msmittyu wrote:
How new of a model transmission can I put in my 1973 super beetle

Joe[/b]

Thanks
Can I use other model cars transmission for my 1973 super beetle
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

The internals are better on the late irs boxes. I would make sure it has the nose cone you need and stick with the single side cover boxes.

I would suggest turning the out drive and watching the input shaft to figure out the ring and pinion in it. This is assuming you like how it drives right now.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

msmittyu wrote:
Can I use other model cars transmission for my 1973 super beetle

Any IRS transaxle from a regular Beetle, Ghia, Thing, or Type III will fit into your Super Beetle. You might have to change the nose cone and you might have to change your pressure plate. The type III transaxle you will have to drill the mounting holes in the bell housing area but that is just 4 holes with a hand drill. The Thing transaxle you will also have to change the CV flanges as they are a larger CV joint on the Thing. The Single side cover Thing and Type III transaxle may have lower gearing in them then a Bug did.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

type 3 has no bell housing holes?? how did they keep the engine from falling out??
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

Late type 3's are rear mounted, the hanger bolts to the case hence the "universal case" they don't have frame horns like a bug does
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

IRS type III transaxles do have the holes in the bell housing for rear trans mount. They have aluminum plugs in them that are easily knock out if it needed to be use where rear mounts are required.
One other thing pertaining to type III trans, not all the hockey sticks have a dimple hole in the top for the coupler screw, as like a type II the set screw is on the bottom.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: transmisssions for a 1973 super Beetle Reply with quote

They will all fit but the 73 maybe 72 also have a taller top gear. It will drop your RPM's which is nice for highway cruising, with less noise.

The later cars had more HP so I guess they figured you did not need the extra gearing to get 4 fat guys up a hill, the HP will do it???

I also heard the older trannies have gears with less teeth, which makes them stronger?? For sure i am not a tranny expert but that is what I read.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: