Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

912 1968 15x7 rims
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
hewito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

A good friend of mine wants to sell his rims,I believe they are fuch,he got them in 1968 when he bought his porche in los angeles,I am not sure how much he should ask for them,I took a picture of one,it has no caps but they look in very good shape..any help will be appreciated..thanks!
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

'68 Fuchs are a one year only size. They would be 5-1/2" x15" and highly desireable. There is a possibility that if they were on the car in '68 they could be the earlier 4-1/2" x 15" which are also very highly desireable. There is a variety of other size/width combos. Edit: after seeing your picture in the gallery, that is not a '68 or earlier wheel.
hewito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

jt912 wrote:
'68 Fuchs are a one year only size. They would be 5-1/2" x15" and highly desireable. There is a possibility that if they were on the car in '68 they could be the earlier 4-1/2" x 15" which are also very highly desireable. There is a variety of other size/width combos. Edit: after seeing your picture in the gallery, that is not a '68 or earlier wheel.

Thanks,according to him they were for the 911 model as well,but once again i have no idea.I did see in the back it says 15x7,so what do you think?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

I think your 7 is a cheap cast replica.
hewito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I think your 7 is a cheap cast replica.
ok buddy...Once again,i am not sure as I dont know anything about the rims that is why I posted the picture as to get some feedback..Why the dumb comment?..
hewito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

I will post more pictures,are they any particular numbers I should look for?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

hewito wrote:
I did see in the back it says 15x7,so what do you think?
You asked. I answered truthfully. This is called feedback. I don't get the "dumb" part, buddy. Confused Rolling Eyes
hewito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

Well,you see,I am asking,and in your dumb reply,where you said it looks like a cheap replica ,you are implying that its some sort of fraud,I haven't put them for sale nor a price,since i am still looking as to what kind they are.
You get the dumb part keyboard warrior?
You could've said,they look like replicas,or I dont think they are originals,but yet,cant teach manner over the internet.
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

Getting back on track....
Check out this auction for an idea of what you might be looking for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fuchs-Wheels-for-Porsche-/191748500431?hash=item2ca519ebcf
Factory Fuchs are forged not cast (light the less costly aftermarket). The forged wheels are much stronger than the cast ones (and lighter). Hence the premium for actual Fuchs over reproductions. Some reproductions are junk and OK for day driving, but cause concern if they are tracked.
hewito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

jt912 wrote:
Getting back on track....
Check out this auction for an idea of what you might be looking for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fuchs-Wheels-for-Porsche-/191748500431?hash=item2ca519ebcf
Factory Fuchs are forged not cast (light the less costly aftermarket). The forged wheels are much stronger than the cast ones (and lighter). Hence the premium for actual Fuchs over reproductions. Some reproductions are junk and OK for day driving, but cause concern if they are tracked.

Thanks for the much needed information,like I said,my buddy is interested on selling them,but we want to make sure we are selling what we say we are selling, if indeed they are a replica and not original ones,how do I know.are there any markings or the replicas also put some markings as to passed them as "real"?..Once again,that is why we holding off before putting them up for sale,we arent trying to scam or to lie to anybody,guy swears he bought them back in 1968,but as to be sure and being my account in risk,I want to quadruple check everything is accurate...Thanks again.
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

Here is a good thread showing the correct part number for a 911 factory Fuchs. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4721348-...g-WV-26003
If the wheel came off a 944 (which also had a 7" x 15" Fuchs with a different offset), the number should start with a 951.xxx.xxx. If when you clean the back side real good you aren't finding anything like this, consider them aftermarket. There is plenty of info on these wheels if you want to ascertain exactly what they are. It will require some elbow grease on your part and some time on the Google machine.
hewito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

Thanks jt..one last question,since some other member put it so eloquently,if they are replicas,will they put the numbers as well on the rim?or only originals have them?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 912 1968 15x7 rims Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd even call them replica's, I'd just call the aftermarket fuchs copies, and yes they are cast. The triangles are completely different. They will not have the same type of numbers on the back as real ones. They are also most definitely not from 1968, maybe 1978. Real fuchs were not made until 1967 and then only 4.5 inches wide, there is no way someone would make super wide versions that soon. More likely made when fake fenders and whale tails were popular, to make your early porsche look like a newer one.

Value? the outers look banged up. Maybe $100? I think they would be cool as maybe an air hose reel in a shop but that's about it as far as value. Possibly some kid will want them for the back of his bug, or someone would put junk tires on them to roll their porsche around the garage or during painting

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: