Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Questions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Electrical Questions Reply with quote

Hello

I have a 70 Fastback, build date 10/69. I have discovered that I have early relays, and some late wiring, coupled with some uncertainty if the PO used correct replacement switches. I appreciate your help in figuring out what is correct for my specific car.

1) Ignition Switch - What is the correct part number? How many wires should this have? Will it have an 'S' or 'SU' terminal? How should the SU terminal operate (switched power or switched ground?)

2) Fuse Block - On the fuse used for side markers, I have no power supplied, and one white wire exiting this fuse. I lose this wire high up behind the dashboard. Does anyone have any idea what it might be for, or what it connects to?

3) Emergency Flasher Switch. What is the correct part number? Should the Blue wire connect to terminal 49a and the White to '+', or vice-versa.

Thanks
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Questions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link to Wiring Diagram

That should answer a lot of your questions.
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the schematic, does anyone have any suggestions for the correct part numbers for the ignition and flasher switches?

Thanks
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Questions Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
Thanks for the schematic, does anyone have any suggestions for the correct part numbers for the ignition and flasher switches?

Thanks

According to the parts book, assuming your chassis number is between 318 000 001 and 310 2500 000, the ignition switch part number should be 311 905 865 A.

As for the hazard flasher switch, that also depends on your chassis number. It looks like they changed the part number of the hazard flasher switch for the 1970 model year. 1968 and 1969 model year cars got 111 953 235 E and then for 1970 model year they changed it to 211 953 235 A starting with chassis number 310 2000 001.

The part numbers suggest that the earlier switch was a Beetle part and the switch used for 1970 came from the Bus parts bin.

The Type 3 parts book is available for download
here.
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Steering Column Terminal Reference - 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

In the schematic below, it is difficult to associate the steering wheel terminals with specific components. The photo below annotates each terminal with the identifier shown in the schematic.

Notes:
    Yellow annotations come from the 4 wire electrical ignition switch
    Green annotations come from the mechanical ignition lock
    Blue annotations come from the turn signal switch
    Red annotations come from the steering wheel cover

Additional Notes on terminals which are easy to confuse:

S- is a switched ground for the horn
    SU is a switched ground for the key buzzer
    P is permanent 12V to power the side marker fuse on the fuse block

sjbartnik wrote:

Link to Wiring Diagram

[/list]
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Terminal Reference - 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
In the schematic below, it is difficult to associate the steering wheel terminals with specific components. The photo below annotates each terminal with the identifier shown in the schematic.

Notes:
    Yellow annotations come from the 4 wire electrical ignition switch
    Green annotations come from the mechanical ignition lock
    Blue annotations come from the turn signal switch
    Red annotations come from the steering wheel cover

Additional Notes on terminals which are easy to confuse:

S- is a switched ground for the horn
    SU is a switched ground for the key buzzer
    P is permanent 12V to power the side marker fuse on the fuse block

That was pretty awesome of you to do. I'm in the middle of going through my wiring, tail light to headlight, to track down a few gremlins and clean up the tangle under the dash. I've been labelling each and every wire with a labelmaker. I didn't anticipate doing that at the start, but I wanted to mark every wire I checked, and it gives me a quick visual of what's left that I need to check. Plus, less time spent boggling at the wiring diagram. I'm about 8 hours deep into that project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: