Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

Ok Got the engine back in the car. I had a couple of plug wires switched, but I it fired up and ran for about 5 seconds. Long enough to play with the distributor a little. I am runing it off a pepsi bottle so no crud from the tank. Now its acting like its out of time. Spins over and pops through the carb even stops rotating like its way out of time, buts its not.(I put the distrubutor back where I had it to start the first time) Could it be super flooded? I am not to sure about the carb. I pulled it apart and cleaned it, but the jet under the choke butterfly went in "cross threaded". The carb is not giving a spray of fuel went I pump the throttle either. I think I have carb problems. Changed the plugs and checked the compression 110 on three cylinders and 95psi on one cylinder. Should be good enough to run...I think. I posted a video up on my youtube channel. Under Ed Moore
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

So, no fuel spray from the accel jet. Is there fuel in the float bowl?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

Dump about a table spoon of gas down the carb. Then see if it tries to start. If it does, fuel, if it doesn't ignition.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
teched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

Yes the bowl is full. I tried pouring gas down the carb and even starting fluid. Just poping and back firing. Changed plugs thought maybe I drenched them. No difference. Couldn't have jumped time... could it?
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

teched wrote:
Ok Got the engine back in the car. I had a couple of plug wires switched, but I it fired up and ran for about 5 seconds. Long enough to play with the distributor a little. ...... Spins over and pops through the carb even stops rotating like its way out of time, buts its not.(I put the distrubutor back where I had it to start the first time) .........

Have you checked the dwell and timing to be sure it is correct? Just moving the distributor "back to where I had it" by eye isn't going to be good enough. You need to at least check the static timing with a test light, and probably verify the points gap just to make sure you got that correct.
teched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, Is it that critical to get the timing Tach/dwell exact to get it to "run". I know for fuel consumption, power, etc it is imperative, but just to get it to run "even poorly" What kills me is that it did run for a few seconds and then just died. I will check the points tonight.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

teched wrote:
Thanks Dave, Is it that critical to get the timing Tach/dwell exact to get it to "run". I know for fuel consumption, power, etc it is imperative, but just to get it to run "even poorly" What kills me is that it did run for a few seconds and then just died. I will check the points tonight.

It doesn't have to be exact, but it has to be in the ball park. Just a little twist on the distributer make a lot of change in the timing. If you don't have a test light. Rotate the engine until it is on TDC for #1 cylinder. Then with the key on, slowly rotate the distributer back and forth until the points just spark. This should get you close enough to start.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
teched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

I will give it a try. I saw a guy on YouTube hook up a what looked to be a 12 volt test light to the wire coming out of distributor to the coil. With the number one cylinder at top dead center he rotated the distributor until the light just went out.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

teched wrote:
I am running it off a pepsi bottle .....spins over and pops

I just found it funny that you used a Pepsi bottle and it went pop !!!

teched wrote:
I will give it a try. I saw a guy on YouTube hook up a what looked to be a 12 volt test light to the wire coming out of distributor to the coil. With the number one cylinder at top dead center he rotated the distributor until the light just went out.

Yes, that's called static timing. With the engine turned to TDC #1 or 7.5 BTDC #1 (7.5 degrees before, or clockwise, from TDC) that should be close enough to get it to start.

What one really wants is like 30 BTDC at about 3500 rpm using a timing light. I have a German 009 distributor, and on mine 30 BTDC at about 3500 rpm does fall to 7.5 BTDC at idle, so matches my static timing.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
teched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

I feel kinda stupid, but I figured it out. Pulled the cap and the rotor was not turning. Dizzy must have jumped out when I was turning it. As for my Pepsi bottle...would I gain a couple of HP if I used a Red Bull Can? Just a thought. Thank you all for helping.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

teched wrote:

FYI this is called "static timing" and will get you in the ballpark, as above. Glad you got it running!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 Back in the car and Ran, but now it wont. Reply with quote

teched wrote:
As for my Pepsi bottle...would I gain a couple of HP if I used a Red Bull Can? Just a thought.

Yes, good idea. Just don't use a Four Loko can, or your car will get the Super Shimmies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: