Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I fear the automatic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

Smiro wrote:
With my camper now I can cruse at 75MPH and I am at 3850 RPMs and I get 19 to 21 MPG.

I also have your 3.27 (thank you!) and a Peloquin, but mated to a 1.8T... My RPM (measured on flat highways) are:

65 MPH = 3000
70 MPH = 3200
75 MPH = 3400

I live where it's pretty hilly so I average 15-17 MPG. I'll probably see better mpg on trips that are flatter.

I'm curious why your RPMs are so much higher than mine at 75 MPH (3850 vs. 3400)??? I'm running 215/65/15 tires. I wouldn't think the difference of our engines would be that great. Confused
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

we ended up buying the van i originally posted about. i love the automatic! this is going to be a travel van so it is pretty perfect. even has cruise control.

it's getting a rebuilt GTA auto trans and this thread has me wonderin if i need supplementary cooling. it'll be rebuilt WBX power plant; are the extra coolers just for diesel?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
we ended up buying the van i originally posted about. i love the automatic! this is going to be a travel van so it is pretty perfect. even has cruise control.

it's getting a rebuilt GTA auto trans and this thread has me wonderin if i need supplementary cooling. it'll be rebuilt WBX power plant; are the extra coolers just for diesel?

No. I'd highly recommend a FAS cooler for your WBX auto (available from GTA, FAS, and VC). You probably don't need a "cooler with fan combo" for a WBX engine (although it may not hurt... ask Smiro). The FAS cooler fits in the stock location, cools much better than the OEM cooler, and completely eliminates the possibility of coolant and trans fluid cross-contamination Shocked .
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

chachi wrote:

I haven't use a cooler since I did my 2.2 Subi conversion quite a few years ago at this point, just looped the lines. Got a lot of miles on it with zero problems to date. I do run synthetic ATF and have never pulled a trailer. YMMV.
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

@Thank You Jerry,

Sorry Everyone, here are my numbers:

MPH RPM

55 2550
65 3K
70 3.4K
75 3.6K
90 4.2K

Cheers,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

Smiro wrote:
@Thank You Jerry,

Sorry Everyone, here are my numbers:

MPH RPM

55 2550
65 3K
70 3.4K
75 3.6K
90 4.2K

Cheers,

That's still a 200 RPM discrepancy between our two set-ups. What is the difference... tire size, engine? Just trying to understand.

I'd like to see a further reduction of about 200 RPM by changing my tires from 215/65/15 to 215(or 205)/70/15... if it doesn't noticeably compromise overall performance (acceleration, MPG, ride, or rubbing). Not sure if I'd get 200 RPM reduction from that tire size difference. Is there a way to calculate it?
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

I am running 205/65/15 tires. I have run larger tires before and my gas mileage went backwards by 4 to 5 miles per gallon which is a lot. Do not increase your tire size. The difference in our RPMs could be our gauges
and my old eyes. I wonder if the turbo has anything to do with it.

Cheers,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

Smiro wrote:
I am running 205/65/15 tires. I have run larger tires before and my gas mileage went backwards by 4 to 5 miles per gallon which is a lot. Do not increase your tire size. The difference in our RPMs could be our gauges
and my old eyes. I wonder if the turbo has anything to do with it.

Cheers,

Hmmm... interesting. Stephan recommended I try 205(or 215)/70/15 next time vs. the 215/65/15 I currently have. Didn't think I'd lose MPG dropping another meager 200 RPM Confused . I have no idea about the turbo/rpm factor, but I am using a ScanGauge II for all my MPH/RPM data.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

Turbo has nothing to do with engine rpm/speed relationship.

Your torque comverters may be operating differently, and they will allow a variance of engine rpm for a given road speed.
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have finally sorted the production of my gears. I will have 3.73, 3.27 and possibly 3.08 R&Ps in 6 to 8 weeks...hopefully sooner. It has been a long road but I see the end of this journey. Building these gears is not an easy process. These gears will be coming from Europe and they will be the same high quality gears as the last set.

Regards,
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have the following updates to share with you:

1. I just spoke to the builder on my Ring and Pinions. The run of 3.27 ratios will be at the hardeners by late next week. The other ratios will follow once the machines are reprogrammed.

2. The Reimo mushroom tops I ordered from Germany are estimated to arrive around Mid-May.

3. Syncrofest in Hollister is coming up. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I fear the automatic Reply with quote

New Update:

1. I just spoke to the builder of my Ring and Pinions. The 3.73, 3.27 and 3.08 will be ready by next week Friday. They will ship all my ratios by the week of the 18th. It takes around week to get to me. Therefore before the end of this month all ratios will be available.

2. The Reimo mushroom tops I ordered from Germany are estimated to arrive around Mid-May.

3. Syncrofest in Hollister is coming up. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: