Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Hello all - I've been using the forum for a technical reference for a little while now, so I thought I'd say hi. "Hi!"

I picked up this '71 Super a couple weeks ago. Why did I buy this? It's what my parents had when I was a kid and it gives me a warm and fuzzy.

It hadn't run in a few years. After replacing the fuel lines/coil/plugs/wires/points/distributor cap & rotor/adjusting the valves, it fired right up and idles nicely. The previous owner stopped running the car after not wanting to bother fixing a fuel leak...this was probably a good thing as no gas was in the carb when it went into storage, and as far as I can tell it's clean.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The interior is pretty much mint. The bumpers were garbage, and they are already at the dump. New bumpers will be installed shortly. I'll put the car on the road after it's tuned, I go over the brakes, and fix some minor fiddly things. Floors and heater channels are rock solid and totally rust free.

It needs paint, though you can't really see that from the picture.

Can anyone recommend a Boston, MA area body shop where I can have a respray done?

- Sam
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

Wow. She's barn-fresh !!
That trunk is stone mint.
Rusty bumper appears to be a 3rd world knockoff - which lacks the nickel plating under chrome, ala OG "triple-chrome" (where a bare steel bumper is 1st copper plated, then/nickelled/chromed) variety. Was pretty common to see these double-chromies as the supply of good ones dried-up.

Brings back some memories - as she looks exactly like the ol' lady's 3rd beetle (may he RIP).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Yeah, the bumpers were total garbage - the rest of the chrome on the car is excellent, so I think their cheapness along with the Cap Cod salt air was a recipe for disaster. I'll have new bumpers on it soon enough.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Sounds about right for those knockoff bumpers: 14 months in relatively dry So Kalif & they turned solid brown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

First thing , nice car. I also have a 71 super. I don't know how far you would go for a paint job, but google 401 restos in Coventry, R.I. and take a look at his wook. He is also on the samba. Check out his feedback. He did both my beetles, and a few others shown here on samba, and most of his work usually pulls down trophy's and plaque's when the cars are shown. Here's a picture of my 2 cars. Good Luck. Jeff
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

pm'd you.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Quote:
Floors and heater channels are rock solid and totally rust free.

Sam, you certainly scored well with this one. Finding a solid Beetle in New England is a HUGE bonus. How did you find it? Did you look at any others before you decided on this one?

Looks like you could weather a season with the existing paint if you give it a good polish and wax. Same with the hubcaps...

I've seen Jeff's '71 Super in person, this past Sept. at the VW meet in Harwinton CT. The color is superb, as well as the quality of the paint job. I'd certainly regard this as the upper end of a repaint.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Alphacars in Boxborough gave me a quote for a respray, but I have no idea if its reasonable - they tend to be pricey.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Quote:

Sam, you certainly scored well with this one. Finding a solid Beetle in New England is a HUGE bonus. How did you find it? Did you look at any others before you decided on this one?

Craigslist... I looked at 3 or 4.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Looks like a nice find.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Nice Sapphire AM/FM, XIX?
I would think long and hard about a respray, that paint looks pretty good in the pictures. buff it out.

or pay for about half of a proper job by selling that radio and OG tool kit in the trunk Very Happy
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
Nice Sapphire AM/FM, XIX?
I would think long and hard about a respray, that paint looks pretty good in the pictures. buff it out.

or pay for about half of a proper job by selling that radio and OG tool kit in the trunk Very Happy

Yup...Sapphire XIX, and it works perfectly.

The pictures make the paint look much better than it actually is...there's a bad rust spot on the roof.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Hubcaps actually polished up nicely.... Used Menzerna FG400 and a Griots polisher..
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

You have all winter to get this nice find into a pretty good daily driver. Built both mine to drive, but not in the winter with the salt they use in Ct. Jeff
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Pics from today's deep cleaning session:

Also fixed today...

- Fuel door release (new cable and handle from Wolfsburg West)
- Windshield washer
- Oil change (new German oil strainer found at local Carquest)
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

very nice! great find!
cfvwtuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

If that car is still wearing it's factory paint, I wouldnt do a respray. It looks nice and it's only original once.
Jomac72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

first off WELCOME! I'm kind of new here too, and also in MA, (South Shore). It is HARD to find bugs in MA that aren't rusted out. Congrats on that. I think I found a real score last spring in my 72 Super VERT. 95% rust free, running, decent Vert for $3600. I put a carb on it and used it all summer without a hiccup, except needing a voltage regulator,(that I damaged by grounding it out when tinkering with seat belts under rear seat).

As far as paint in Boston, I can recommend tons of places as I am an adjuster for a major ins. co, and go to body shops to negotiate repairs. It all comes down to if you want a high-end, or low budget finish. Someone said keep the car paint as is, not a bad idea. If it was me, and I wanted to respray, I would be looking at some hungry, smaller shops, that sometimes do great work, for less $ than the bigger well known shops, who have all the work thy need. Many shops won't do older cars because of the liability of breaking trim when prepping. If you just want fresh color, try a MAACO. They've come a long way since the old days. GOOD LUCK!

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

That's the most original bug I've ever seen, I wouldn't touch a thing

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Drool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: