Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Ok folks - I should I go about fixing this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Well - today I installed a rebuilt carb from Volkzbitz, adjusted the brakes, and did a ghetto driveway alignment.

Result:

First drive!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Ok folks - I should I go about fixing this:

No takers on this question? Did you fix it?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

I had some suggestions over pm - but for now the paint isn't a priority.

Next up will be a muffler (arrives on Tuesday), and then bumpers. After that will be brakes.
GearHeadKeith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Great find! This looks like a super clean Super in the 1971-only color of Shantung Yellow. I cannot believe the trunk! Super clean.

I own this car's twin brother: mine is a 1971 Super Beetle (October 1970 build) in Shantung Yellow (color code L 12 D) with black interior. When I bought it in 1994 off the 2nd owner with 345k miles, the paint was so oxidized that it looked tan. I rubbed it out by hand and was amazed at how well it came back to life. The front valence was void of paint from rock chips and living in SE California, so I primed & cleared it to prevent any corrosion. At that time I planned to paint it in 2 years...today I still own it (21 years) and it has yet to get fresh paint! It has good patina and looks "good enough".

I built a 1776cc engine using mostly vintage speed parts for it in 2004:

These cars put a smile on my face when I drive them. Keep up on maintenance, buy quality parts and these cars will treat you right. Enjoy your Super!
SSC trans with 3.78/2.25/1.48/1.04 & 4.12 Gleason R&P, Type IV output flanges, Berg Shifter
Topline front struts/springs/sway bar, Sway-a-Way rear bar, 4-wheel disc brakes
Owned since 1994: 3rd owner since new!

Last edited by GearHeadKeith on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Awesome car, thanks for the pics.

Question: does anything besides the speedo and warning lights illuminate at night? My dash is dark except for the radio, speedo, and warning lights.
GearHeadKeith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:

Question: does anything besides the speedo and warning lights illuminate at night? My dash is dark except for the radio, speedo, and warning lights.

That is all that illuminates inside when the headlights are on. The interior is very dark at night. I added oil temperature, oil pressure and cylinder head temp gauges when I installed the 1776cc to keep monitor it. Those gauges also provide the benefit of 3 more illuminated gauges at night Smile
SSC trans with 3.78/2.25/1.48/1.04 & 4.12 Gleason R&P, Type IV output flanges, Berg Shifter
Topline front struts/springs/sway bar, Sway-a-Way rear bar, 4-wheel disc brakes
Owned since 1994: 3rd owner since new!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

GearHeadKeith wrote:
hotsam wrote:

That is all that illuminates inside when the headlights are on. The interior is very dark at night. I added oil temperature, oil pressure and cylinder head temp gauges when I installed the 1776cc to keep monitor it. Those gauges also provide the benefit of 3 more illuminated gauges at night Smile

Awesome! One less thing to fix.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

So your bug doesn't have the "Tweety-bird-flash-light-size" light in the middle, lower part of the dash? It was supposedly for illuminating the heat/defrost handles.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
So your bug doesn't have the "Tweety-bird-flash-light-size" light in the middle, lower part of the dash? It was supposedly for illuminating the heat/defrost handles.

Tim

I'll take a look....
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

I don't appear to have the light.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Tim - you're making shit up now, aren't you? Smile

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

No way, Victor.

There is a very small light that rotates (using a finger) which is located on the lower portion of the dash, between the two fresh-air knobs on my 1974 Super Beetle. It sticks out about 3/8 inch from the dash. And like I said, you can rotate it (for aiming).

It's purpose was to illuminate the heat and defrost handles on the tunnel. The light is quite dim and only works when your headlights are on.

Now that I think of it, my Hazard switch also lights up when my headlights are on.

Other than the speedometer area, I can't imagine what other lights are really necessary. the Hazard is used once every ten years, maybe; and the little light is not really an eye-squinter.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
...There is a very small light that rotates (using a finger) which is located on the lower portion of the dash, between the two fresh-air knobs on my 1974 Super Beetle...

The '71 Supers have a different dashboard than your '74.
Below is a pic of hotsam's. By the way, it seems the horn ring is bent...

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

That light to illuminate the heater controls didn't exist before 1974 models, so your '71 should not have it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

My fuel gauge always reads as full - if I reverse the wires on the sender, it reads as empty. Bad sender?

(Yes, I did a search!)
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Yes, bad sender. the gauge reads to both sides of the spectrum, so no issue there.

However, always replace your vibrator on the back of your speedometer when replacing the sender. Don't use the OEM metal vibrator. Get the black-plastic encased new-style vibrator. They won't damage your gauge or sender wiring if they go bad.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

New exhaust installed tonight (from Wolfsburg West). Also installed a warm air pipe that I got from the classifieds. Another item crossed off the checklist. A total bitch of an install but well worth it.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

I can't get over how original that bug is. Find of the year.
I'd love to see some engine pics Wink

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

booya....

FUEL FILTER IS TEMPORARY!

I want it in a visible spot so I can constantly check it to make sure there's no crap in the tank. After a few miles it will go away and I'll put a metal filter elsewhere (not in the engine compartment).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: