Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'61 corner window westy campingbox
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Like a lot of these threads start I figured I would start a build thread to help document the history of the bus and document the repair work. I'm also hoping this thread will help keep me motivated to work on it and update.

I'm still working on tracing back the history but I believe this bus was sold new in Germany most likely to a man in the military. It had US specs and was taken to Westfalia when new to have a Westfalia campingbox kit fitted. It's the only deluxe bus I have ever seen outfitted with this style interior. I don't know much about the history from '61 through '70 but in 1970 it was bought by a man from Iowa who was drafted into the military and sent to Germany. He was there from '70-'71 and brought the bus back with him. In the campingbox are a few German drivers handbooks, one from '64, another from 1970. There is also a USA license plate which is green, this is probably how it was registered while it was in Germany. It was owned by this man from 1970 through 2005 when he passed, spending most of his life in Minnesota, and his widow kept the bus until September 16th, 2015 when she sold it to a local car dealer named Liberty Station. The car dealer in turn called Mike Wolfe of the American Pickers fame and sold it to him on 09.29.15. Mike took it down to Rich @ J-3 restorations in Columbia, Tn. to do a quickie wash and get it running and stopping good enough to drive onto a trailer so the bus could be sold to a happy new home.

Rich's team knocked it out quick and put it up for sale on 11/03/2015. I didn't see the ad because I was traveling to Florida for the Bulli Brigade but my buddy Jake texted me about the bus and told me I had to buy it. His enthusiasm is contagious, so Clara & I deliberated for all of about 30 seconds and I sent him an email and gave him a phone call telling Rich we wanted it. Clara's favorite model is the corner window and well with my namesake the bus seemed to fit well with the collection. A few phone calls and a lot of nervous pacing back and forth in the hotel room and a deal was secured.

Here are the photos Rich had in his ad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Halloween bus - kinda neat

rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Lucky you!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Now I'm looking at these photos on my iphone, not even one of the big ones. I can see the rust in the roof and holes in the rockers and the Minnesota plates and I was a little worried. The price was good and I knew we'd miss it if I didn't jump in with no hesitation.

That night I was up late looking at facebook and instagram and collected some more photos.

rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Don't worry. You got it and that's the important part. Now, at your leisure, you can think about how crazy you were YOU CAN"T HAVE TOO MANY!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

And after a few nervous weeks of waiting for transport the bus was finally here.

Overall the bus was a little nicer than I was expecting. The rockers were wasted but the frame looks good. The original paint is super nice and the original headliner is awesome.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

This is one of the coolest buses to come along in a long time. Congratulations. Is there any model of early westy you don't own? I also thought the price was fair when it was listed. Thanks for starting a thread on it, I am very interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

The seat cushions have been recovered but the original plaid is underneath.

Seems like there is just a thin layer of burlap over the original springs, that can't be too comfortable. I would have expected horsehair, maybe they didn't have pads for this size springs?

Childs cot is all original and like nothing I've ever seen before. I'm not sure if this is specific for the campingbox or maybe for the humpback seat? I see why they changed to the later green cot, this board/plank thing was probably fairly awkward.

Rear carpet is nice too.

Panels are all pretty nice.

I was confused about the little bracket next to the dome light but after a few days I realized it was to hold the table up.

The entire roof was rattle canned white which I was pretty bummed about. The nose was also rattle canned from the beltline up to the roof. Fortunately this comes off with a bit of effort.

I'll need to do some paint touch up to the driprail. I can't see any holes at the moment but I'm sure they would not be too far off.

Rockers are also on the short list - I ordered all the metal so will get busy burning those in soon.
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Awesome,,congrats Greg and Clara,,the bus went back into the right hands,,enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
This is one of the coolest buses to come along in a long time. Congratulations. Is there any model of early westy you don't own? I also thought the price was fair when it was listed. Thanks for starting a thread on it, I am very interested.

There are a bunch of westy models that we don't have and some of the buses we have it would be nice to upgrade to better ones. Maybe one day we will have all the different ones and they will all be nice! =)

Yes, I thought the price was good. Even without the campingbox interior and history I think it would have sold quick. The camper kit is the marzipan. It's the most expensive bus I've ever bought but I haven't regretted it for a second. It's not for sale at any price now.
dockmaster Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Nice Greg. Congratulations!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Wow, cool find. The dash sure cleaned up nicely, and the paint under the rattle canned roof looks great where you worked it out. These one off buses like this that where done by Westy are interesting, also nice that you have the early history of its journey . The only other Delux Westy I can think of is Watermans 21. It found the correct home. Very Happy
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Um, damn!
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

It pays to be aggressive when you buy something, and to have balls and throw down cash without waiting for more pics. Good for you!! Congrats on the purchase, I look forward to hanging out in the bus!! That child's cot is insane...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Drew Ogden wrote:
It pays to be aggressive when you buy something, and to have balls and throw down cash without waiting for more pics. Good for you!! Congrats on the purchase, I look forward to hanging out in the bus!! That child's cot is insane...

Thanks Drew! I'll try to have it ready for Kelly Park, not sure if you'll be there though.

I think that is pretty much how it went down. No questions, no extra photos, and I sent him a substantial deposit by Paypal before he even responded saying I could buy it. I figured he would take the path of least resistance which is what he did. I could tell from the nine photos and limited description that we wanted it, so nothing the seller said was going to change my mind. I figured worst case, the bus would be a dog and I'd lose a few bucks trying to unload it, best case - which is what it was, the bus would be a keeper that I would never ever want to sell.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Such and awesome bus. I remember drooling over the ad. Pretty cool how that flap for the cot lines up with the top of the cabinet making one big surface! Looking forward to following the progress. Congrats!
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

I saw the ad hit when it was first posted and thought "wow" that is a unique bus. Looks like it ended up in the right place, congrats.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Nice! I saw that Bus pop up and knew it would sell instantly.

Glad to see it documented here, I didn't realize the kit was unique from the ad.
Even without the Westy stuff, it looks like a nice 15-Window!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
Such and awesome bus. I remember drooling over the ad. Pretty cool how that flap for the cot lines up with the top of the cabinet making one big surface! Looking forward to following the progress. Congrats!

Yeah, the childs cot is neat. I am so glad it didn't get tossed. Otherwise I would have wondered maybe forever what those cleats were for at the front of the box. I wonder if originally it came with a big sleeping pad for the top of the cabinet?

I bought my first bus in 1996, and almost immediately after that I met Joe Crockett (RIP) by contacting him through an ad in the back of OBR. At the time he had just found a '61 standard campingbox. I wasn't interested in Westy's at all at the time - I remember telling George Schmidt that I hated campers and he told me I was crazy. Joe's bus had a very rusty roof. Joe soon after that sold it to my buddy Marcos who I think sold it a few years later to someone in Japan. I wonder if it had that same childs cot? Wonder where the bus is now?

These photos were taken by Lind - that's Marcos standing under the tent

We are missing the two aluminum handles for our cabinet. I also notice Marcos' bus had a westy tag on the upper right corner of the campingbox. I see no evidence of this on our cabinet. Maybe they ran out of badges towards the end of '61? I wonder if this badge was maybe applied with tape and it fell off when the bus was fairly fresh? Hopefully at some point this mango bus surfaces again.

Marcos' bus also had the rear breadbox cabinet which this bus never had - atleast there are no markings on the rear carpet and there are curtain rods which go around the corner windows and rear hatch which I think would have been left off if it had the cabinet. I wish it had that box! How cool would that be to see the box through all that glass?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Any sign of the original curtains to see what color/pattern they used? Maybe the light yellow solid pattern?
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Very cool Greg! Can't wait to see it around the PNW. Hope to park next to it one day with our 59.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: