Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you use to mark bad metal?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

When you cut out cancer metal. What do you use to mark the bad metal when making cuts? Sharpies, dychem and a scribe? What do you use and when? What are your recommended tools to make a mark and what type of paper or cardboard do you use to re-create the template? I have seen a lot of different methods but I am not comprehending when to use what. Looking for help from the people who do this for a living. How do you determine if the metal needs to be replaced? Do you use weld thru primer on everything?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

Quote:
When you cut out cancer metal. What do you use to mark the bad metal when making cuts?

I use Sharpie's regular point or Milwaulkee's. Scribe marks are usually too hard to see.

Quote:
What are your recommended tools to make a mark and what type of paper or cardboard do you use to re-create the template?

Whatever card board I pull out of the recycle bin or construction paper from walmart.

Quote:
How do you determine if the metal needs to be replaced?
It depends on how hard it is to replace and how pitted. If it is not really hard ,I replace anything that is more than moderately pitted and has lost strength. Body panels are not there to hold body filler to. If the area is very hard to patch I solder the pin holes/craters up.

Quote:
Do you use weld thru primer on everything?
You should use weldthru primer on panels that you are sealing up and can't get to the inside bead after welding.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated!!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

I usually don't mark it, just cut it out. I then make a template with the cutout piece. Make only round cuts, no 90's.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

It seems if I use anything, its usually masking tape I guess. If possible, I hold the new metal behind the hole I cut and spray bomb it. Makes a perfect replica of what needs cut.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

Great ideas! Anyone else have a different method to share?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I usually don't mark it, just cut it out. I then make a template with the cutout piece. Make only round cuts, no 90's.

Can I ask why you recommend this idea? What if I were to replace a rear quarter pane from below the window to the "b" pillar and to the rear fender well? A round cut would seam a bit difficult to achieve.
Just curious.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

The theory is that the rounded curve instead of a 90 degree will have a lesser chance of warping because there is less weld bead per inch.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

As to how much to cut out is usually dictated on when/where you can get back into solid uniform steel. If you don't cut out enough of the bad metal, and end up leaving some solid but thin metal, when you hit it with the welder, it will just blow a hole through it. I usually cut out bad metal until I'm into solid steel all the way around the cut, then make a cardboard template of that with any bends or angles, and trim the template until it fits perfectly. Then transfer the template onto steel. Then fit the steel replacement piece up to the car and trim multiple times until it fits perfectly. The better the steel patch/part/panel fits before you start welding, the better the finished product.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

Yes less warping. The tip of a 90 cut will warp easier than a curve. Also make the patch longer than end. Meaning overhang the patch if you can and cut it back. Less chance of blowthrough and the bead will extend past the end of where you want it. I cut it round and extended past the ends, then cut back.
Grind with cutoff wheel, belt sander then DA.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

You can learn alot if you look at this and read.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548717&start=260
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

Some people mark metal with sharpies or dyekem. Do you have to remove this completely before priming? How do you remove it?
Do you trust weld-thru primer to protect metal you cannot get to the backside of? For instance replacing rear bumper brackets on a type 1. The factory seemed to do a bad job of preventing rust in this area. Not really an area you can seam seal.
Danny's thread is amazing but without seeing him do a section on video I can only guess he tig welds and hammer/Dolly's the weld followed by a file. We only see the outside. How does he make sure the inside looks as perfect as the outside (no proof of replacement metal)?
I guess what i am asking for is not the before and after shots but the step by step process that the good guys use to replace metal. Maybe some don't want to give up their secrets but I think that is their ability to see and move metal.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

fla2smoker wrote:
How does he make sure the inside looks as perfect as the outside (no proof of replacement metal)?

The only way I know to make a repair "disappear" is body filler. There will always be evidence of a repair (seams, weld spots) unless they are covered by filler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

Quote:
Some people mark metal with sharpies or dyekem. Do you have to remove this completely before priming? How do you remove it?
Welding removes the marker just fine. Wink

Quote:
Do you trust weld-thru primer to protect metal you cannot get to the backside of?
If you have a better solution you can share it with us. I do the best job I can and then hope for the best. Shocked

Quote:
Danny's thread is amazing but
MIG welding with a gap is impossible to beat.

[/quote]How does he make sure the inside looks as perfect as the outside (no proof of replacement metal)?[/quote] Why would anyone care? Confused
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

Tig is a nicer weld. If you read some of Gab-Fab threads he does what I said. He hammers and dollies to remove the warping. If you want no evidence you have to finish the rear also. If you ever look on a Ghia, there are weld beads present under the fenders. Get it as close as you can and use a good filler primer. Block it twice and your good to go.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

When I do this sort of work where both sides have to be nice, I simply weld as cool as I can and grind both side smooth. Then I do my filler work. Then when I spray the primer I use a pencil with an eraser. I take the eraser and push in the primer to simulate where any spot welds would have been. Finish as usual.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Then when I spray the primer I use a pencil with an eraser. I take the eraser and push in the primer to simulate where any spot welds would have been. Finish as usual.

That is dedication to the sport. I haven't heard of this idea. Creative for sure.
Good luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

welders chalk stick for marking metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

stanovich wrote:
welders chalk stick for marking metal

AKA- Soapstone. You can get them at a welding supplier and maybe Home Depot.
Good Luck.

stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use to mark bad metal? Reply with quote

yep soapstone. did'nt think the youngsters would know it by that name so, chalk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: