Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sale or not?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyDawgVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Sale or not? Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1995 VW Jetta GLS for a couple grand off of thesamba classifieds. Seller stated that the car drove perfect with no problems all original etc etc. Seller was 6 hours from me so I purchased the car sight unseen and I had the car shipped to Savannah, GA. Drove the car from Savannah to Middle GA which is around a 2.5 hour drive. I noticed on the way home the gears were slipping. The next day I tried driving it and it would barely pull off in 1st gear. Turns out the clutch is TOAST and the shifter bushing completely gone. I confronted the seller and they pretty much said that there is nothing that they can do because the car was fine when it went on the truck with several other lies.

I purchased a Sachs clutch kit and a shifter bushing kit and now it shifts and drives almost perfect. There needs to be a little adjustment with the shifter but its doable.

Now that I have sunk a couple grand into a car that is a Florida car with some rust underneath that's not beyond expected and could possibly have other hidden problems that the seller did not make me aware of and the fact that it now runs and drive fine should I cut my losses and try to get my money out of it? Or should I hold on to it hoping that the engine doesn't sling a rod on my way home today or in the next 5000 miles?
RDIRTY2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sale or not? Reply with quote

id drive it into the ground, clean running mk3 jetta with ac is worth like 2 k ish... unless its a special edition
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sale or not? Reply with quote

It is possible that it was fine, and the transporter destroyed the clutch. I have seen people completely ruin a clutch in a brand new car in a couple of miles, so one that has miles on it already could go sooner. Since it's working now, drive it until the strut towers rot out! GLS, so I'll assume it's a 4 cyl, pretty hard to kill one of those engines.

Central Jersey VW Society
SkyDawgVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Sale or not? Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
It is possible that it was fine, and the transporter destroyed the clutch. I have seen people completely ruin a clutch in a brand new car in a couple of miles, so one that has miles on it already could go sooner. Since it's working now, drive it until the strut towers rot out! GLS, so I'll assume it's a 4 cyl, pretty hard to kill one of those engines.

The clutch was possibly destroyed in between the seller shipping it and when I picked it up but when I changed the clutch the original was toast. It was worn all the down past the rivets in the clutch itself. I'll never know since the seller has yet to be honest about it.

Thank you for the advice. I'll drive it till the strut towers rot out...hopefully that is not sooner than later Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: