Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Most impressive Ben - I admire your drive and vision and the ability to get the right people to do the bits you need them to - lovely bus and a cool bit of VW history....

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kasten68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

amazing.. what a contrats before / after !
Crayfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Am I the ony one sad to see the magnificent metal work being covered over by paint? Crying or Very sad
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

you sir, are a wizard! Shocked Applause Applause Applause

i wish i had these skills Smile

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing Ben!! Shocked
Mr. Yellows
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Awesome project, well done so far Blue Bus Smile
Rostwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Your dedication and ability to transcribe to written word is a joy to witness! Keep up the good work!

1967 Dove Blue Kombi (project)
1969 Hi Top Bay Camper
1966 Beetle (parts)
1967 Beetle (parts)
1964 Karmann Ghia (parts)

"It was a job, and I was just doing my job"

-Johnny Ramone
flat_six
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

This is awesome. Can't wait to see some pics of this bus on the road.

Seems like the "patina" exterior look requires as much or more work and skill as a new paint job!
Bassdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Amazing work! Loads of respect for this save! Applause
goreygoreymanunited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

absolutely outstanding work - truly inspirational.
1966vwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

goreygoreymanunited wrote:
absolutely outstanding work - truly inspirational.

Very awesome work... my kombi should be a breeze Laughing
flat_six
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Is this bus on the road now? Just curious what it is being used for and how it drives.
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Skill level expert! Well done!
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

flat_six wrote:
Is this bus on the road now? Just curious what it is being used for and how it drives.

I'm afraid to say it's been a little neglected through the summer, with a lot of other things happening, and a day job to do too! About time for a final push though so watch this space. Currently she's on wheels and wired in so we're not too far off.

The original front beam was CRUSTY, as were the trailing arms and other parts. In the end we took a better LHD beam and made one good one out of the pair. The drums were replaced with '55+ items to allow dual circuit brakes for better braking, and out back the tried and tested road of bolting in a big nut trans using spacer blocks on the spring plates was travelled yet again. Bolted to a nice little 1500sp it should make for a decent cruiser.

A new, correctly made wiring loom came from Jon at VWLooms as per usual, and the rapidly dwindling parts stash was raided for tail lights, headlights, and all those other little parts that she needed.

She's looking a little sorry for herself at the moment but I'll hopefully have more to report and some better pictures soon!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chthemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Awesome work is there a update
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Ok, so here's a couple off better snaps ..............

Like I said I used the original front beam and a far better condition LHD beam to make one decent one, the original steering box and arm, original BD spindles and trailing arms, and later split bus drums. I have added a bay master cylinder and twin circuit brakes with all new lines and components. At the rear I installed a decent big nut trans using late split spring plates which need notching slightly for clearance, a Wagons West gearbox mount, and a set of Hayburner spacers to space out the springplates to match the track of the late trans. Apart from the slight nosecone trim that's needed just like it would be for a straight axle conversion, there's no other cutting to be done. It's all bolt on and can be easily reversed if I feel the need for a crash box! Everything has been cleaned, refurbished and detailed .......... apart from the rims Cool

For wheels I sourced a set of nicely patina'd 16" barndoor rims and shod them in some second hand land rover tyres borrowed from a friend. I feel that I may not be able to run them on the front due to clearance in the arch but the back wheels look wicked and just how I imagined that they would months ago Very Happy

The 1500sp got a 12v conversion because we use our buses a lot and it's just plain easier, after all the trans, etc. aren't original barndoor anyway. Oli managed to work his magic on the original fuel tank too so another original part of this bus is now reinstalled! I wasn't sure that was gonna be possible as it was just a little roached so I was well chuffed to get that piece of the puzzle back in.

Oli also had a play with the paint and did his blending thing to tidy up the rear window, front panel and long side. The rear window is original but had some welding repairs ......... looks way better now

and the new panel to the top of the longside now matches the "old paint" swage-down section. I think this will rust up some more once it gets out in the weather and will start to blend with the rest of the bus even more, but for now I'm well pleased.

In the cab I couldn't bring myself to replace the speedo or the pod and so Ben wired new controls up underneath so I can retain the original instrument cluster in all its glory! He even got the dash lights working for me!!

Interestingly the starter button was minty fresh inside when stripped and rebuilt. Most components looked like new so maybe the mileage of this old girl is actually genuine!?! It actually seems more unlikely for it to have gone round the clock in the very few years that it was on the road and have such low wear on components like the pedals and electrics?!
goreygoreymanunited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

What does the milage say? I can't make it out from the picture, but I can see it starts with a 0! Very, very nice work. I take it you're keeping this one at stock height if you're running those Landy tyres. Green laning?
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Thanks dude. Yep a stock-ish green laner is exactly where I'm headed Cool

ok, so pretty unlikely I know, and it looks like the numbers may have been round, but then I bought it from the son of the original owner who remembers playing in the bus when it was parked up next to the local garage on his fathers land in the late fifties or early sixties. I guess if it went round the clock in its 8 or so years of use round town, (if it even got driven out and about in town), then the owner was very light footed on the pedals and light fingered on the electrics!!

Fixed the single reflector pressing by the way. One of just four known early rhd survivors with the single reflector pressing still on the left hand side before VW decided to run two rear reflectors instead of handed ones, (to suit the new factory rhd buses as well as lhd).

Front end tidied up too, and now wearing it's (slightly buckled) original badge. Massive thanks again to Patrick for knocking doors in Tocksfors and retrieving this along with other missing items Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by busben on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:44 am; edited 2 times in total
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Awesome to see this one on its "new" shoes. Nice work. Also cool to see the electrics sorted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat_six
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Awesome - just unbelievable... Every square centimeter of this bus has a story to tell, with expert human hands. Talk about character! Glad to see it closer to rolling down the road.

Might be cool to have a snap of that front axle next time its up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: