Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Pretty sure you are describing the other plate for adjusting the clutch and brake pedal stops. I'm just looking for location on pan to weld gas pedal pivot.

I adjusted a brake pedal pushrod once. Everything got fuzzy for a minute, but then I came up with the idea for this build. Not really sure what happened but I'd say there were no ill consequences.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

On my 60 it's about 1 inch from the side of the tunnel to the edge of the bracket and about 6 and 3/4 fron the bottom of the fire wall to the front face of the bracket
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Awesome. This is based on a 60 too so that should get me close with the intended pedal assembly. Face is pretty perpendicular to the tunnel correct?
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Yea I'm not sure why I haven't cut it off my car yet as I have a roller pedal and never plan on taking it off. What's your plan for tail lights?
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

almost went roller. how do you like that by the way?

pretty sure I posted tail light plan way back, but I have an old stop light from a wrecker that I made a pretty large teardrop housing for. plan is to set it up so that top and bottom are tail light and stop band in middle is brake light. not sure how I will do that yet or what to do about turn signals.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

^ good rollers are good.. Cheap rollers are shit..

You may want to consider a 66 up cast pedal assembly.. it has the bracket for the throttle pedal cast into it.... and its much much more stable.

nshaddox wrote:
plan is to set it up so that top and bottom are tail light and stop band in middle is brake light. not sure how I will do that yet or what to do about turn signals.

Think trailer...and American... cancel the stop and activate turn side selected.
No harm in the stop band blinking for turn .. IMO ..

And note..
Usually the White wire labeled "56" on a turn switch is a high beam dimmer signal wire for a dimmer or passing relay circuit.

Black "56".. is most likely ground (or power) input for said turn switch contact 56 white.
Easily tested and verified with an Ohm meter or continuity device ..

If you have other plans for a dimmer.. just omit and proceed. Just passing it along..

The other colors "should" be as you suspect...
Hopefully the switch is good..
Anxious
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
Pretty sure you are describing the other plate for adjusting the clutch and brake pedal stops. I'm just looking for location on pan to weld gas pedal pivot.

I adjusted a brake pedal pushrod once. Everything got fuzzy for a minute, but then I came up with the idea for this build. Not really sure what happened but I'd say there were no ill consequences.

Laughing And sorry about me not really reading the question - not enough coffee this morning.... Embarassed
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

been doing little things after work that have to be done but aren't so interesting to look at. installed rear axle bearings and all brake hardware other than ebrake cable. replacing some old hardware with new hardware. bolted engine up after installing clutch and pressure plate. got throwout arm and new bushings and bearing installed in transaxle too, also put some oil in it. have to figure out what to do with dipstick, stock t3 stuff not gonna work, empi adapter for universal case is total garbage and also wont work with t3 shroud. still lots of little tweaks to do on engine tins and then have to get them powder coated.

some pictures, my camera is getting progressively worse, will be replacing soon.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

looks pretty close to the original sketch. pretty happy about that. tires are just for mock up, still need to order rear ones and also figure out how to convert the t3 to alternator setup.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

That mock-up looks good! It'll look even better on the road! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

George Jetson eat your hart out!
To cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
... and also figure out how to convert the t3 to alternator setup.
Here's one to look at:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1740542
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Big Daddy would be proud....Really coming together....So how long did you walk around and just look at it? When I hit that stage, it's usually and hour or two....and my wife walks in and asks what I am doing...I'm working Laughing .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

probably 3hrs of staring and thinking for every one hour of work actually done. its all just little jobs left, but the little jobs are the ones that take forever because you have to worry about all the different ways to tackle the little problems and decide which one is best. and the details are what make a build really, so trying to not screw it up at this stage. also struggling to remember all the details from the engine build from 5 yrs ago. i know i left rocker arms off and plugged all holes for the storage, but was surprised to relearn that I'd tapped the two holes next to the fan end of the crankshaft oversized for step studs since they were messed up. vaguely remembered modifying some step studs for the fan housing, but figured I would never find them and spent a couple of days looking for metric step studs at local hardware stores after work. finally found some and modified them and found the ones I'd turned down on a lathe 5 yrs ago within 6 hrs of installing the new ones, go figure. 5yrs and 1500 miles later...

lots of little issues like that. can't even decide if i like the way this car is looking or not right now. either sick of looking at it or thrown off by the knobbies in back or freaked out by how close it is to my original sketch, but I just keep thinking it looks impractical and cartoonish, which i guess is true. guess i just gotta keep working on it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
can't even decide if i like the way this car is looking or not right now. either sick of looking at it or thrown off by the knobbies in back or freaked out by how close it is to my original sketch, but I just keep thinking it looks impractical and cartoonish, which i guess is true. guess i just gotta keep working on it.
. .

Yep.. which.. makes it stand out even more from all the rest..

Not a bad thing.. IMO..

Cry me a river will ya.. Laughing

If you were going for practical. .. and bland.. .. you could have saved alot of time and bought that at the corner car lot..

You've seemed like you've moved faster and more efficiently than some of the best in the business that have the $$ and a team at their disposal..

Keep at it.. Take a break.... sure.... just DO NOT stop.. too many good Kustom car beginnings have gone the way of the DoDo that way..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Check out building a sedan delivery in the 58 to 67 type one crowd. Grampa Pete used a type 3 motor for his craft and had the same issues you had.
Your ride is still tops for me. Keep up the great work
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Something I was taught a long time ago is to keep notes because you will forget. Whenever I start on a car - whether one of mine or a customers, I have a spiral bound notebook. If a total build, I use a 5 subject one and break it into catagories, like parts orders, general build notes, hours/work done, etc.

We all have good intentions to get a project done from start to finish in a timely manner....Then life interferes. So, on my hours/work, I may or may not track time for my own, but I have a summary for work done that day such as: 8/17 5 hrs - front brakes - all new, rear brake shoes and hardware only, new rear bearing seals. replaced drivers front hard line. Painted misc interior parts.

This way if its a year before I get back to it, I can scan my log and see "oh yeah, already did the brakes....."
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Are you building The Homer?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

indeed. except the homer was a much more practical and less attractive vehicle. real inspiration is closer to Ed Roth's Beatnik Bandit or Starbird's Predicta.

People that call it a homer lose their invitation to copilot...
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

This is awesome!

I keep hoping for some 50's fins to show up on the tail for that Rocket age look to go with the bubble top

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I just want to see you push it out of the garage and take a few pictures of it.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: