Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to buy rod bearings 53mm?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

I am rebuilding a 1956 1600N engine ... and can not find any source for the "pre-1959" standard connection rod bearings at 53mm.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in forehand!
gasva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

As far as I know, the "A" rod bearings are no longer available and haven't been for a long time. The "A" rods were called spaghetti rods because of their penchant for breaking. You'll want to find a good used set of "B" rods to use.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

Find a Babbitt Bearing repair shop. They can make you some or just Babbitt your rods and machine them to fit your crank.
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

@ Split:
You could have a machine shop cut the groove on the other side to
accept the late rod bearings. I did have a set done some time back. Worked fine. Might be less costly that buying later rods. Just a thought.
Thanks
Frank
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

I went to Zimms(Porsche shop) in Dallas where I live they said they could get me these rod bearings but for 300$ that's a steep price!! He said 0.25 under cost 60$ 0.50 cost 60$ but 0.75 cost 300$ ouch! So if you know of any 53 mm std journal that are 0.75 that are cheaper pls let me know!! 356 Porsches had a 50 mm 53mm and 55mm crank I need the ones that are 0.75 under 53mm. I'm desprit or its 300 for bearings 😩
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

Did you check the internet for a Babbitt Bearing shop? I worked in a Babbitt Bearing shop for 35 years and I made a lot of Bearing inserts for obsolete rods.
They can use a grade 5 Babbitt which is the material used in high revving motors or grade 2 for slow revving motors.
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

SplitPersonality wrote:
I am rebuilding a 1956 1600N engine ... and can not find any source for the "pre-1959" standard connection rod bearings at 53mm.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in forehand!

EBS Racing in Navada!! they just helped me get bearings that where .30 over stock 53mm I went to my Porsche shop and they where gonna sell me bearings for 320$!! EBS charged me 180$( for 8 a whole new set) and I got expidited 3 day shipping for free there awesome ask for Troy he's the man!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke) wrote:
SplitPersonality wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thank you in forehand!

EBS Racing in Navada!! they just helped me get bearings that where .30 over stock 53mm I went to my Porsche shop and they where gonna sell me bearings for 320$!! EBS charged me 180$( for 8 a whole new set) and I got expidited 3 day shipping for free there awesome ask for Troy he's the man!

This guy is in Norway do they ship international?
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy rod bearings 53mm? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke) wrote:
SplitPersonality wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thank you in forehand!

This guy is in Norway do they ship international?

Probably there cool and the owner grew up in Germany give them a call if you still need them. (800) 462-3774
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: