Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:
... and this summer my last events in my vanagon will be sad, especially the $$$ loss I will take up the azz! Laughing

Say it isn't so! Shocked

You still going to Syncrofest this year?

You can still rock that Astrovan at Descend on Bend. It's not VW specific (though most vans there were VW). Better get that beast off the ground a little more first though, or you're liable to lose one of your side steps on the way in. Laughing

ThankYouJerry wrote:

You kinda just harshed my mellow. Wink

This! Sad

YUP... syncrofest is still in play with Krusty!

Running boards in my mind are already in the past Very Happy

I have to redo-finish my cabs in Krusty and get them damn Sew Fine front seats done... and then Krusty will be in tip-top shape for the new owner. In like 5,000 miles just about everything has been replaced, rebuilt, upgraded or converted... I really enjoyed it this weekend on the delta. The speration aniexity has already begun Crying or Very sad
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I don't know if anyone mentioned the Chevy Express AWD vans but I am not going back 9 pages to find out.

I like those.... but I tired driving the larger vans and simply did not enjoy it... so used to smaller, and my Safari is far more stealthy which is a big part in my decision
1967 Bug- Gone
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:
... and this summer my last events in my vanagon will be sad, especially the $$$ loss I will take up the azz! Laughing

Say it isn't so! Shocked

BlueGrasser - Good to see you post... haven't seen you on The Samba in a while.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Most Astro owners want a Westfalia but can't afford one.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
Most Astro owners want a Westfalia but can't afford one.

HA... so wrong...
1967 Bug- Gone
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

there are always those kids in the playground that feel they're in the best playground, that they can't imagine that the kids in the playground on the otherside of the school fence can have nearly as good of a time.

in the end they're both in a playground.

Astro owners are slightly envious of the poptops.. but there's some putting westy tops up on astro/safari vans.. heck I'd love a Sprinter with a westy top up top..

some similar conversation in this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620443

danfromsyr wrote:
the little import vans are just too dinky for me & family (2adults + large dog).. clausterphobic in the rain/inclimate weather that occasionally happens.
Sprinter cargo van converted w/ poptop
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or AWD astro/Safari van ala weekender interior..

chevy express AWD with full kitchen.

or nearly anything sportsmobile
https://www.google.com/search?q=sportsmobile+pop+t...CAcQ_AUoAg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
BlueGrasser wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:

Say it isn't so! Shocked

+1

This thread has me looking at CL for "awd astro". I should have never read the ealier links
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

I've always admired the period GMC Motorhome, with FWD and super low floor. It's not really small enough though to compare to a Westy.

IMO, the modern equivalent is the FIAT Ducato/RAM Promaster fwd, with 3.0 turbo diesel option - 27mpg hwy.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Life gets easier and cheaper when one stops chasing unicorns and the hollow admiration of other people. unless of course that's your 'thing'.
there's no practical reason to admire or pursue such an expensive 'investment' that you can't use or leave in the parking lot w/o security.
though I find the Tempo Matadors cool and I'd rock one for a weekend yard/home work truck. would be terrified to take either onto the interstate..
rubbachicken wrote:
the ONLY vans that could tempt me away from vanagons
#1 a pre may '55 bus, "barn door"
or a tempo matador
bug engine, front wheel drive, a friend of a friend owns this one now Sad it'll be sat in his garage for many years to come Sad

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
BlueGrasser wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:

Say it isn't so! Shocked

I'm more active on the Facebook Vanagon Owners Group and instagram, but I still wander through once in awhile to see what everyone is up to here. Very Happy
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-russians-make-the-best-truck-in-the-universe-for-5-1758030433
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

And one heck of a bullet proof drivetrain.
455 Olds, bolted up to a Turbo 400 trans.

It'll keep up with traffic without even breathing heavy.

Check out the Frigidaire AC compressor.
More bullet proof stuff.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

I do think about others at times but the Vanagon just has lines that I find, oh, I don't know - right?

I still need to spend 5K to get my tranny right but after all the work (which I really enjoyed) I'm saving for one. For now, I keep my eye on that day when we head off again. . . There is simply nothing better in so many ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Well... I am going to add a pop top to the Safari I bought, thousands of dollars cheaper than having someone mount a westy top on my vanagon... and just a few hundred more than the high top I wanted for my vanagon... plus it's electric, comes with 4 LED lights, 4 windows w/ blackout, clear plastic and bug screen, bed pads, and they can be stored over the cab so you can have that complete headroom when in the up position. I will keep it gel coat white for heat reflection.

Reference photos... and I might keep Krusty... I am such a mess Razz Laughing
(I want my cake and to eat it too... )

1967 Bug- Gone
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
I have a soft spot in my heart (and in my skull) for old school vans from when I was in HS. Recently I have been toying with the idea of getting a 1975 or older big 3 van... I love the flat face econolines, the early mid 70's Chevys and Dodges. Even some of the older Dodge and Chevy vans too.

With the motor between the seats I don't lose cargo room, and actually gain some over a vanagon. Parts are cheaper, engine options of straight six and V8's give me some options. MPG are not that good but it is something I can tolerate. I have even thought of converting an old bread type of panel/step van. Oh yeah... and NO PHUQING SMOG in Cali!

I am getting ready to redo my cabinets in my vanagon, but part of me keeps checking out CL for some of the old school I have mentioned...

So the question is... do you ever cheat emotionally on your Vanagon? Do you feel the tug of changing directions yet still on the same path?
Laughing Razz

I am tempted to switch to a big American van when I have to putt putt up a steep grade, otherwise the vanagon is boss.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Nice call. I've idly wondered about doing this on one of my Cruisers. With gas prices down again so low for a while, I am wondering again. Livable space atop a bomb-proof chassis that can handle any offroad terrain is a promising combo.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/03/07/no-hippies-1967-dodge-a100-custom-sportsman-camper/
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
http://bringatrailer.com/2016/03/07/no-hippies-1967-dodge-a100-custom-sportsman-camper/

Drool Drool Drool

Put some old steelies on there and rock the patina... so full of win right there!
1967 Bug- Gone
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

We built up an Astro over the last year or so. Spent way too much time and money on it and it's still not quite what we wanted. Which was ultimately a VW.

We just bought a Vanagon.

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Nice van... Welcome to spending even more money Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: