Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WolfsburgWest Panels Received
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:
The metal replacement posts always reminds me of how well VW manufactured the air-cooled Beetles back in the day. Suppliers were subject to extremely high quality standards, and that included the sheet metal. It's one of the main reasons Beetles/Buses are still around today.

I am 80% done restoring my 1964 Bug and virtually every aftermarket part that I have purchased simply does not meet the same high quality of the OEM VW parts. This includes aftermarket door handles, replacement dashboard chrome strips, roof mounted grab straps for the rear passengers, brake hardware, etc.

VW had their own presses and stamped all of their own sheet metal parts.

Aware of that, but I am sure they purchased rolled steel from a vendor to run through the VW owned stamping machines.

"1950-1959 Volkswagen
During this period, a myriad of changes were made throughout the vehicle beginning with the availability of hydraulic brakes and a folding fabric sunroof in 1950. The rear window of the VW Beetle evolved from a divided or "split" oval, to a singular oval. The change occurred between October 1952 and March 1953.[46] Beetles built during this time were known as a "Zwitter", or "hybrid", as they used the split-window bodyshell with oval-model chrome trim, vent windows and dashboard.[46] Steel used for the bodywork was at its best quality[citation needed], and the Wolfsburg emblem at the tip of the front of the bonnet was a complex fabrication (subsequent models deleted the emblem). The rear 'W' decklid was hand-fabricated[citation needed]. The front wing had a particular 'flare out'. 1953 models received a redesigned instrument panel.
"

Last edited by vwnut1 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:
The metal replacement posts always reminds me of how well VW manufactured the air-cooled Beetles back in the day. Suppliers were subject to extremely high quality standards, and that included the sheet metal. It's one of the main reasons Beetles/Buses are still around today.

I am 80% done restoring my 1964 Bug and virtually every aftermarket part that I have purchased simply does not meet the same high quality of the OEM VW parts. This includes aftermarket door handles, replacement dashboard chrome strips, roof mounted grab straps for the rear passengers, brake hardware, etc.

Aware of that, but I am sure they purchased rolled steel from a vendor to run through the VW owned stamping machines.

From what I read, VW bought most of it's steel from the USA back in the 50's, 60's and into the 70's.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Curious! Question I know we've discussed "Donor" car/parts can be better, easier to install then the replacement panels available but (as noted) often it's difficult and time consuming (especially for us "East Coast" buggers) to track down.......with that understood and accepted. I was wondering:

Q. Do they - does anyone offer a "complete" rear quarter panel section (replacement section) which includes the entire rear inner wheel well area?

I've seen - watched a number of videos where the entire rear section is replaced but it doesn't state whether this section is from a "Donor" or a purchased section.

Just wandering. Rolling Eyes

Later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Yes, check out Mid America Motorworks. They sell brand new left/right quarter steel panels that retail for around $650 for each side. They also sell brand new front quarter panels for $350.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/newsearch.aspx?S=quarter%20panel&Y=&G=&C=
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Thanks. I did check them out but it appears that they only have them for 1968 and up:

Quarter Panel, 1968-1977 LH Rear Beetle Sedan

Now as we know many parts for many years may fit but with the cost being a little up there would hate to take the chance. I also found Heritage VW over seas sells them but have discontinued the right side, don't know why.

My thoughts were to simply purchase the entire section, cut out the wheel well section and weld it in........but again, the $650.00 cost would somewhat prohibit this as a good idea.....once again: Leads to the best choice is a good "Donor". Thanks again.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

I saw that, but I think that the inside wheel section would fit an earlier Beetle, but I am not 100% sure. It would be an expensive panel to just cut out and use the inner wheel section though.

Would this work for you? $80 plus shipping from WW;

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111809091
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

You know I was all set to order that panel but the rep at Wolfsburg talked me out of it....he actually said they don't fit that well....so (as noted in the pictures of my rebuild) I simply ordered the section that has the mount and shock tower portion..and (as noted) I had to cut, pound, mold that into place. It actually fits well at this point and after welding, grinding should look and hold great. It's the outer - fender attachment area that I need to do some work on (damage - missing bolt/holes) and I thought if I could get a piece that took care of the entire area it would be easier.....but this is going to work.

The other concern is when you look on the inside, after the replacement inner well section is intact, you have a portion open - where you see the new panel and the existing wheel well metal....I can work with that but again just some more metal work.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Search the classifieds on this site for NOS repair sheet metal. I've seen that section for sale in there recently for a heck of a lot less than $650. You can also see folks parting out bugs on the west coast. Often times, they'll cut what you need and ship it via truck or Greyhound bus.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:

From what I read, VW bought most of it's steel from the USA back in the 50's, 60's and into the 70's.

That is true. Steel made it the US was used quite extensively. This fact is mentioned in the book, Small Wonder".

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

The quality of sheet metal repair panels is much higher for splits and ovals than it is for later cars. We have KlassicFab, Virtanen and Wolf Parts. All made by small operations who make their own tooling and also involves some hand forming. They are a lot more expensive that the wrinkly tin foil panels with incorrect details made in Denmark and Brazil but they take a lot less time to fit because they are actually accurately made to begin with and in some cases are actually thicker than the original parts so they are well worth the extra cost. Hopefully as time goes on, these and other vendors will start making quality parts for the later VWs.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Appreciate all the comments replies on this post. Laughing It truly helps when you get comments and recommendations and opinions from others. Allow me to share a quick story:

As you know I am "overlapping" the metal on this side of the Bug...thought I'd get a better support for the body mount area.

Others suggested that I'd get a better fit with a "butt weld" and the support would be there.

I agree on the better fit...but again thought the "butt weld" would not be strong enough.

So...I did a little research Arrow and reached out to other who do the fabrication for a living.

As you know when you email some of these guys your lucky to get an email response....Well, here's a company that not only emailed me back with some useful information....but to my surprise Shocked I got a phone call and had a great conversation on the repair being done.

I can't say enough about these guys Laughing so let me share their information with you:

Kiddy's Classics
Auto Restoration Service
Address: 3495 NE Candice Ave, Jensen Beach, FL 34957
Phone:(772) 334-2041

Oh., by the way......the other side of my Bug...when I repair that section...its "Butt Weld" all the way.

Happy New Year.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Inner Rear Wheel Wells coming along....other side should go a little easier...at least I hope............this side almost ready to hit with the mig. Had to cut the panels....but trying to use whatever panel pieces I can.

Cutting out all the bad I can.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:

"1950-1959 Volkswagen
During this period, a myriad of changes were made throughout the vehicle beginning with the availability of hydraulic brakes and a folding fabric sunroof in 1950. The rear window of the VW Beetle evolved from a divided or "split" oval, to a singular oval. The change occurred between October 1952 and March 1953.[46] Beetles built during this time were known as a "Zwitter", or "hybrid", as they used the split-window bodyshell with oval-model chrome trim, vent windows and dashboard.[46] Steel used for the bodywork was at its best quality[citation needed], and the Wolfsburg emblem at the tip of the front of the bonnet was a complex fabrication (subsequent models deleted the emblem). The rear 'W' decklid was hand-fabricated[citation needed]. The front wing had a particular 'flare out'. 1953 models received a redesigned instrument panel.
"

I understand the point you are making and agree with you. BUT- this info is complete garbage. All the points that say "citation needed", means someone pulled it out of their ass with no facts to back it up. The W decklid was hand fabricated? Laughing Common sense tells me that with HUGE demand for the Beetle in the 50's and car #1,000,000 being built in 1955, VW would never have the decklids made by hand. [citation needed]

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:

"1950-1959 Volkswagen
"

I understand the point you are making and agree with you. BUT- this info is complete garbage. All the points that say "citation needed", means someone pulled it out of their ass with no facts to back it up. The W deckled was hand fabricated? Laughing Common sense tells me that with HUGE demand for the Beetle in the 50's and car #1,000,000 being built in 1955, VW would never have the decklids made by hand. [citation needed]

There's a vintage pic floating around somewhere with a big stacked pile W lids beside a die stamping machine.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

"Brain Freeze". Need a little assistance. If you are following my post you know that I am doing somewhat of a complete rebuild/repair of both rear inner wheel well sections on my "65".

This is the section which I am going to repair (hope I can upload the pics, its the one showing the rusted, cut out, open area just behind the door). I ordered and just received (WolfsburgWest) the "Heater Channel End Cap" (pic uploaded) replacement panel which I believe is the piece I need….but having a little “Brain Freeze” as to exactly how this fits…….
Inside ?
Outside?
What exactly do I need to cut out?
Another ?...what is the attached thread for?

offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

It goes on the outside of the cross member and the rear luggage tray. The threaded post is for the lower fender mount.
I have a 65 with the body on a dolly if you need a close up pic or 10.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Man if you can send me the pic it would explain it allot better. I'm still a little confused as to where I need to cut out old (what's left) and tack this piece in....would really appreciate a photo...many thanks.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Here are some pics. Hope they help and let me know if you need others. You may need to replace your cross members too if there’s not much left. Will be easier if you remove the body.

Good info here if you haven’t seen it yet:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4233191

itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Well as the saying goes; "A picture is worth a thousand words" and these truly help out.

As for "removing the body", no doubt allot - most of this work would be much easier and a better quality job if one removes the body but as I stated; this is a "back yard" - "shade tree mechanic" winter project type project. My goal is to get this bug back on the street come this spring as she has been, mechanically she is pretty sound and the rest her seems fairly well intact........now down the road if I chose I may do the complete "body off" restoration. I like to drive my "classics" see how they operate, what else goes wrong and if I decide to keep them before getting too deep into them. I recall I did a 1974 Mercury Comet....did it at my friends shop....we went all the way with her and she took over 5 years to complete.....since we don't do this as a living.....so again, many thanks for the pics and the other website and let's see what I can get done with what I am working with, both facility, tools and time. Later
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Hey one more....if I may request: Can you take and send me a pic of a distant view....sort of showing me a larger pic of the section of your bug. thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: