Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WolfsburgWest Panels Received
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's one from my gallery and there may be others in there that may help you too.
Is that what you need???
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Very good...great pics, nice job....if your not doing anything next week stop in Ohio, give me a call and you can install these on my "Bug" Very Happy

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

All the pics I showed are of og metal from the factory. I've never replaced that section so inviting me over to do the job would be ill-advised Laughing
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

LOL! I understand. This project is coming along but as I go further and further I find other areas that truly need addressed. Oh well, she is "65" and spent most of her life (as I understand) in the mid west - east coast area...and you know what that does to a car. Once good thing, the pans look good - replaced I'm sure at one time and after rebuilding this rear end she should be ready to sand, DA and paint....we'll see. Again thanks for the pics, tips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

For those of you that are or have or will review, look at this post; I hope you get something out of it.......what Smile or what not Confused to do if you are doing or contemplating a similar project. And as always, thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

Just a quick update:

1. Got a little "cold spell" here in Ohio, went down into the single digits and although I do have heat in the back garage, it's not on all the time and when it gets too cold....well if I don't "pre-heat" the area...I don't go back there...so slowed down a little.

2. Just a "Safety Tip"...and as some of you may know, as a professional, certified "Occupational Safety and Health Consultant" (40 years), I teach and instruct safety...that is what and what not to do...so I'm somewhat embarrassed Embarassed in admitting this but it was a lesson to learn, so my "safety tip" of the day:

When grinding (creating sparks - any "Hot Work"), do a little "pre-assessment" of the area, make sure it is clear of any readily ignitable material (anything that can burn, not only fuels) before you begin making all those "hot" sparks (hot work). Why? Steel Wool ignites easily! No more explanation needed Sad

3. During these "off days" I often grab a parts magazine, pour a cup of coffee or a good beer and do a little reading - researching. My question to all you members: What's the "Best" VW Magazine (not parts but articles) out there Question I've found a number but want some opinions.

Thanks for reading, look forward to your comments.

Take care.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Q. For anyone following or viewing this post: Since this is not a "Body Off" repair/restoration project and the fact that the front portion of my Bug appears fairly intact/replaced my question is: Do they sale, are just "sections", "rear sections" of the Heater Channels available?

I've seen and I am aware that one can purchase the entire channel, but at this point I only need to repair/replace the rear section (both sides).

I know I can fabricate replacement sections but would like to save some time and "hammering - bending" and obtain a panel that can be more easily assembled in the area I cut out.

Appreciate any comments - suggestions.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Well, its been some time since I've went back and continued work on the "65" rear wheel wells. Although here in Ohio the winter has been fairly easy (we did get hit with 12" of snow this week - but today it is 60 degrees - go figure)., it has been cold and I just didn't go back and heat up the garage. Well today I did some work, took advantage of the 60 degree plus day.

So, here we are with one side done:
Cut out the bad.
Welded in the New Panels (shock tower - rear bumper mount area)
Filled in the welds
Primered
Hit it with a good undercoating.

I think it looks allot better than the "before".

Going to start on the other side.

itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Here's the before.

itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Passenger side getting repaired. Reply with quote

Well, the drivers side wheel well area is done, other than some surrounding body work. Here's the passenger side getting ready for the replacement panels, need to order them. Going to do ALL "But Welds" on this side and try to keep most of the original metal.

thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

It turned out real nice. What about the heater channel end cap ? It looks like you didn't use it. There should be a stud there poking out. It looks like there may have been previous work done in that area if you didn't find a stud there when you took the fender off. Same as your passenger side. I'm doing similar work right now on my '62 & I'll be ordering the end caps. So... It looks like the end cap goes on the outside of the body's cross member? If you're replacing heater channel parts I would replace the whole deal because you will probably find other areas of rust. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

I did replace the "End Cap", it's hard to see so I inserted the following pictures. The "End Cap" goes on from the inside of the body. As you can see, I'm going to need some additional installation, fabrication, welding on the inside (body) of the wheel wells. Once you cut out the bad and install the new panels from the outside, well you're going to have some work on the inside simply filling those gaps/cavities. Hey, remember; I'm working on a "65" that someone else previously did body work on, and not that good of body work; I'm finding, cutting out old sheet metal that was riveted in, grinding down old putty. Would have been easier if I was simply cutting out "original" body rust. This (my project) isn't a "Body Off" (true reconstruction should be), but simply a rebuilding of some important areas with "real metal" migged in and finished. It won't win any "Trophies", but it will be presentable, solid and a "Daily Driver". This is a "back-garage repair" with limited tooling, no lifts, no hydraulics, mostly hand sanding, working with long johns on..not complaining, loving it.....just supporting us "Weekend WrenchHeads".

offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Lookin good!!!
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Ready for the "Passenger" side repairs. Just received my WolfsburgWest repair panels;
1. Removed all the old undercoating and very poor past repairs on the passenger side.
2. Have to consider how much metal I'm going to cut out - save and then cut the replacement panels to properly fit.

At this point and the pictures show that I'm in the "what to do next" stage.

Hopefully it will come out like the "Drivers" side did and then I can start on the inside rear.

Stay tuned.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

^^^^ Just an FYI-

You're going to find those "black" replacement panels are the absolute worse re-po metal being sold. I think it's Dansk made. It's usually thinner metal than original as well.

Thankfully, other companies are starting to re-pop the sheet metal to a much higher standard.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Well, I'm keeping most of the original metal on the Bug as I can. The replacement panels worked on the drivers side and if installed properly, finished with some ALL METAL filler (weld areas) then properly covered...they'll do the trick. The Bug isn't driven in the winter, kept in the garage....so again they should work just fine.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
^^^^ Just an FYI-

You're going to find those "black" replacement panels are the absolute worse re-po metal being sold. I think it's Dansk made. It's usually thinner metal than original as well.

Thankfully, other companies are starting to re-pop the sheet metal to a much higher standard.

Don't confuse "klock " junk with WW stuff..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
^^^^ Just an FYI-

Don't confuse "klock " junk with WW stuff..

I'm not sure I understand? Dansk or whatever he has there is the economy level of sheet metal that Wolfsburg West sells. Sadly, there's been a lot of traffic posts about WW selling known and reported to them cheap, lousy parts (like a lot of VW parts vendors). They use to be known to NOT sell anything that was simply junk.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Well; I know it's been some time since my last post on my "65" panel repair project, but I haven't been working on her for some time, weather, work, travel....whatever the excuse, I'm starting again. Pics show the "Passenger Side" rear wheel well area. Cutting out the old-rusted areas, previously repaired areas (not a good job). You'll note that some of the panel and old metal gaps are a little too large for a good "mig" tack weld.....attempted to keep as much of the old - good metal as possible and taking into consideration the panel itself and not taking into consideration the "width" of the cutting wheel....well the cut ended up as you can see. I'm going to do an "old trick" I learned some time back about "feeling in gaps" when "butt welding" - welding rod or even an old metal coat hanger usually works well. Posting these simply to share my work, progress and problems....maybe somebody will learn from my mistakes, learn from my accomplishments or offer some good "Hey, you may want to try this" advice....stay tuned, enjoy. Hey, it's MAY and they're calling for "SNOW" here in Ohio....WatsUpWitDat.

Later

Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Looks like you are doing a good job. Rust repair is always fun for sure. Butt joint in my opinion is best and using the butt joint clips is a great idea. If you find the joint a little to open to fill easy, just use a aluminum backing plate. Works wonders in this situation. Also getting a beater bag and hammer from Harbor Freight makes shaping the metal more easy fitting then cutting it creating a lot more welding. Most times you can shape it right over the existing piece for a general fit. When cuttings out the old metal I like to use cleco's to hold the piece in place and then cut along the new pieces edge with a zip wheel or plasma cutter. This way if you wonder a little towards the new piece the joint still fits nice.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WolfsburgWest Panels Received Reply with quote

Good tip......is you take a look at my other post - other side....I did an "overlap fit" rather than a "butt weld".....didn't have that much "good metal" to work with and wanted as much "metal" as possible when rebuilding the wells....overlap was a little more work but she came out ok.......we'll see how this side come out......then I have to do some interior "wheel well" work. It is a "65" "East Coast" Bug.....glad to have the metal I have Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: