Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stop The Patina BS!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the word "patina" be banished in place of what is really just rot and rust?
Yes - I can't stand the word/description any more than the word "repop" which isn't even a word.
40%
 40%  [ 33 ]
No - It's a cute way to describe the "finish" on a vehicle that needs some serious work or should really be scrapped.
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
I really don't care - It's just another trend that will go away.
43%
 43%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 81

lbs_ft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Webster's wrote:

Full Definition of patina
plural paˇtiˇnas play \-nəz\ or paˇtiˇnae play \-ˌnē, -ˌnī\
a : a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color
b : a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use
: an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character
: a superficial covering or exterior

http://i.imgur.com/SMvBgOK.jpg

This is a survivor, in a world of over restored $100K Busses it's important to remember it's only original once.
"Patina" like any other trend will fade, but the guys keeping "Patina" VW's on the road,
should be repected just like the guys in the 80's with Pink and Teal Bugs, because these guys kept these cars alive.

I couldn't agree more, both with keeping to the actual definition of the word, and to patina being respected as an eventually-passing trend. At the end of the day, we're all passionate about Volkswagens.

Zeen wrote:

That's a key point. Patina is faded paint showing its age and originality. You rarely see it around here, because cars rust from the bottom up long before the paint ever fades.
I like it, as long it is paint with patina, not big expanses of exposed, rusted steel. This is cool:

I agree, and I appreciate the kind words. I hunted high and low for a long time before I found the Beetle I drive today, and I had no doubts then and no doubts now that it checks all the boxes that I was looking for, which coincidentally meet the criteria for having 'patina'.

Dwayne1m wrote:
Quote:

I have to ask: What's the idea behind the bolts in the headlight rings? They look like Shrek's ears sticking out.

As hitest said, they're for mesh headlight guards, which were installed when I bought the car. I removed them, but never got around to replacing the rings. I have to honest, I've never heard Shrek, I've only heard Frankenstein, but I can definitely see what you're talking about haha
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

Patina was my Grandmothers gray poodle's name back in the 70's...

And now Bowies dead...

WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS ALL MEAN!!!
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I don't mind a weathered car as patina but rusty holes are just plain junk.

I'm also sick of reading about your "barn find"

Amen!
59RAIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Some folks who paint their cars sour grape the whole patina thing. I like them all- I don't care. Call your finish whatever you want- I'll define it by my terms regardless. Your rusty pile can have patina bedazzled on the hood for all I care. How many people say 90% or 75% OG paint? Are they ever right?

Take this example: 24,000 claimed original miles yet it's been repainted? This car has unfortunately joined the ranks of 1000s of repainted cars- it's just another oval. Had it been left in a patina state (as all 50 years old paint jobs are), it would be the find of a lifetime.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What's more exciting to me is finding original paint cars with more miles-

thus real patina. The term is here for awhile. Who cares?

I find it more appealing with a nice paint job - if it had 50 year old paint on it I would consider it a shit box that requires paint. To each his own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

i guess it depends on your pocket book---back in the day when my friend he had this ford i forget the model(ltd type) on the roof and trunk the paint was faded,bleeding,spotting,etc. we all scoffed at it (but didn't care)
of course now us vw crowd its perficately ok or desired.
it must be a fad-- or anything vw is ok!
you can't really hate a vw regardless!

when i find a 57 oval--i'll put the best paint job i can do on it!
(that was my first vw i had as a teenager)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Your poll is just as one sided as any political poll bent on getting their view across. The great thing about those who DRIVE their cars in the "patina" condition is that they couldn't give a rats ass what someone else thinks about them. When enough money & effort gets put into a car, most people start to get worried about damaging its new shiny appearance & end up with a life size model, it's a car, it's meant to be driven! The moment they get restored is when the process begins again. Banning a word just empowers it or another "PC " word will replace it. Would you prefer "weathered"? How about "age enhanced"? Probably "rustina". No matter what the word, the trend will still exist & you'll feel the need to ban that word too.

wow. it seems most all the "patina" cars I see and know of are those that dont get driven execpt for "special occassions" because they run like they look. Shocked (my uglybugly is the execption it's driven everywhere I need to go and daily...execpt for when I dont leave the house like....sunday the day of rest an observance of potatoes, mashed,fried,chiped or couch.
I knoe of patina cars that cant be driven in the rain...wtf? or cant go hear or there for some stupid reason..(rob "fixed" it so...it's gonna breakdown,wipers dont work,motor is knocking and so on). and I know some that are real patina and get driven almost daily, but they have owners that have more than half a brain and know how to use it.
as for turning your car in to a pos as a life style......what a effing moron.get a life and leave the defenseless cars alone ...looser. (not in any way refering to you tcidt....cditd? citytdi!!! tities with cdi??dam now I got to look at who i quoted.........cvttdi?? eieio!!!!olay!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

Here's some patina. I got a 67 that was solid rust then had been rattled canned flat black. I spent 60 hours just on the top using high build primer and then blocking and sanding. Removing panels to paint back side and inside wheel wells also takes time. A gallon of L456 ruby red costs 135.00 plus tax and that's with a discount. But that does not include reducer or hardener. I'm using single stage paint. That also does not include materials, fillers,paper,tape etc etc. is it any wonder people drive cars in various stages of paint with or without rust. I agree with the statement it's only original once and well kept original showing mild wear will always bring a premium. The 67 was a rusty pos when I got it. More pics coming.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

Looking good zundfolge1432, keep up the good work. The last car I had painted got door dinged by some shithead in a SUV 3 hours after I got it out of the paint shop & three days later a neighbor's kid fell against it on their bike causing a two foot gouge down the right side (but hey, you could barely see the door ding after that), I resisted the urge to stomp the little fuckers head into the asphalt. After that I'd rather put the $ into the mechanicals than piss money away to make someone else appreciate the car more.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

People are always shocked when quoted paint and body work but once you actually do the work and buy all the materials you find out.
scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

That car looks way better than rust or old paint if you ask me! Why are VWs different than any other car? A whipped POS can be spruced up with a nice paint job and mechanical refurbishing,,,
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

No doubt, all the materials add up quick & then the monotony of the constant sanding. There's a reason that a lot of the body men I've run into are drunks & addicts, after being around all the chemicals all day, what really gets them off or brings them down at the end of the day?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

scotth17 wrote:
That car looks way better than rust or old paint if you ask me! Why are VWs different than any other car? A whipped POS can be spruced up with a nice paint job and mechanical refurbishing,,,

To a certain degree, a whipped POS may look worse with a shitty paint job than it did before & it depending on the vintage or condition, it may not be worth money to put a good paint job on it.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

the materials are out effing outrageous these days. I blame house of peral Wink the paint is still dangerous but now days we have to pay for the feeling of danger. I remember back in the early 80's my car was a 4 color paint skeem. IMRON, and it wasent cheep for 4 gallons of that stuff and all the right primersealer. well it cost about as much as 1 gallon nowdays. wish i had bought more...... I did spray the clear/peral on my bug with the clear I had bought around 1988..........bad idea, that was when "clear" was new and wasent worth a shit.... but it looked great for a few years with the peral&graphics....about 5 years or so then started fading...and......dam
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Some would Dig the Patina of the leather chair.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

I would paint the chair too...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Fact is its your car,if you want to fill it with concrete and use it as a doorstop..if you look at your car as an investment then cost becomes a factor,there are plenty of 10k cars with 20k labor and materials in them ..folks who do this kind of work tend to 'justify' their investment by looking down on others who kept their costs down....

Yes, but your car is an investment. You bought it to take you from point A to point B, and then back to point A. If you didn't do this, then you might as well fill it with concrete, and take the bus. Sure some cars are cheap, and can be kept that way, while others need some cash dumped into them. Yes, you can shop around and find one that someone already dumped 20K into it for 10K. They're out there. It's just the way it is. It's an investment, you also pay for gas, oil and car insurance. If not, sell it or park it, or turn it into a lawn ornimate and take the bus.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

My thoughts on the whole patina thing are reflected in my sig line...

Tom

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
The whole Patina thing has gone way too far. A beat up piece of shit does not have patina. It's a beat up piece of shit. That car is a good base for a restoration, Not a coat of wax.
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

Original finish "patina" is a sign of aging not to be confused with the fake faux "patina" that is clear coated and shiny.
I had a vintage muscle car with the "patina" look that everyone complimented but on closer inspection they realized the car had rust and the finish wasn't that nice up close. I would always get the question on if I was going to restore it and my response was "It took 50 years to get it to look this good", it's only original once !
Sold that car for some stupid money because of the originality and the new owners keeping it that way too !
Maybe we should do a pole on ... Stop the "original restored" BS !, on how it's restored to original condition and compare the poll results to this one.
scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

Your underwear are only original once,... hopefully you wash them...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Stop The Patina BS! Reply with quote

I get compliments all the time on my bug.....but it looks like hammered dog shit to me....so...... am I fucking stupid or what?( not that would make one hell of a pole).I have several trophys form car shows(not vw club shows as I steer clear of the asskissing automatic I won my class shit with a rusted out car with no motor&chainsaw cut off top.........yes I was out of town and lost to one like that,and was told by the club presidednt I needed to join his club ......no thanks.(I rarely do car shows any way).well my car looked good for a few years.now not so much and I have changed the fenders out so..they dont match either so.....hey great looking bug!!!! Shocked but mine is the only one around.....and I thought I was blind. I gess it's the patina. or just it's wicked awesomeness. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: