Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finishing the bed
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

What tricks have people used to sand down the bed of a DC or SC? With the corrugations it's no easy task to sand the area.

Has anyone made a sanding block to fit the shape? I thought about trying to find a chunk of an original bed to use but don't have access as I'm sanding the original bed.

Other ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
What tricks have people used to sand down the bed of a DC or SC? With the corrugations it's no easy task to sand the area.

Has anyone made a sanding block to fit the shape? I thought about trying to find a chunk of an original bed to use but don't have access as I'm sanding the original bed.

Other ideas?

Use a chemical stripper if you intend to take it down to metal. If you are doing bodywork they make round blocks that might fit.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

It's down to metal right now. I'm using some high build primer to fill in some of the smaller rust pits and would like to sand this.

I've tried various shapes and it takes the top "corners" off __/ \__/ \__ and misses the bottom ones if that makes sense.

I wonder what glideking used to smooth out his bed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

It was a semi-sketchy guide plate welded to an angle grinder. It's somewhere in his thread.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

It was a semi-sketchy guide plate welded to an angle grinder. It's somewhere in his thread.

He used that guide plate to knock down welds because he installed a new bed. I don't think he disclosed what he used to smooth down the bed and prep for paint after welds were flush.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

You can build all sorts of custom sanding blocks from a dense foam camping mat and krazy glue. Another option I use for the one offs is the blue or pink insulation foam, stick a few strips of coarse paper to whatever you want to sand, rub the block of foam on it until it matches the profile then stick your sandpaper to the newly shaped foam.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

On my Double-Cab restoration, we made a few properly shaped blocks of wood, similar in shape to a wood slat, to fit down into the corrugated bed grooves, wrapped it in various grits of sandpaper and it worked great! Rough on the hands, but awesome on the bed grooves.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545000

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

I hand sanded......lots of hand cramps and blisters.

My '55 Single Cab Build

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575447&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

OK, another detail question for anyone who has installed the wood slats. What does the front end look like? Squared off or angled like the rear edge?

Also how far from the front of the bed should they be? Flush? A gap? How much?

Pictures would be awesome. Especially from Bullibill Smile

Thanks!
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

Beginning of this video shows the block of wood wrapped in sandpaper I used to sand the bed.

Link

Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

Pictures would be awesome. Especially from Bullibill Smile

Thanks!

Does anyone have a picture or time to take a measurement of your original slats?
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

Does anyone have a picture or time to take a measurement of your original slats?

Have a look on dropgates.com. Dimensions and info about the profile etc of the slats are on there under Restoration Help/Info > Bed slats

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

Have a look on dropgates.com. Dimensions and info about the profile etc of the slats are on there under Restoration Help/Info > Bed slats

Been there, done that. Could not find what I'm asking about. Maybe I missed it.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

Been there, done that. Could not find what I'm asking about. Maybe I missed it.

What measurement are you looking for?

This is what it says on dropgates...

SLAT SPECS:

Single Cabs: Slats are 1 1/4" wide by 5/8" thick. There are 15 slats total.
2 different lengths are needed: 5 of them are 8foot 1 1/4". The other 10 are 8foot 5 1/2". They go in every other space on the bed.

Double Cabs: Same as above except the lengths are different. 10 Long ones are 69" and the 5 short ones are 64".

Or are you looking for something else?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
OK, another detail question for anyone who has installed the wood slats. What does the front end look like? Squared off or angled like the rear edge?

Pictures would be awesome.

Mostly the amount of gap between the slat end and front wall of the bed.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

Looks like they taper off at about the same spot as the metal ridges. Photo credit: Sam_W

SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Finishing the bed Reply with quote

coolerthanelvis wrote:
Looks like they taper off at about the same spot as the metal ridges. Photo credit: Sam_W

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: