Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Over the winter...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Over the winter... Reply with quote

For those in the northern climates who don't drive their things during the cold months...
What work do you plan on doing to your Thing during it's hibernation to make it better for the spring?

I already have the windshield out to polish and replace the seal, have a new Pertronix II to replace the 009 and tuning, replacing wheel studs, polishing rims, inspect/repack all wheel bearings, check/adjust brakes, align front end and I'm sure I'll run into more items to do during all that. Very Happy
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

I'm in Kansas and don't have windows or a roof, so I doubt I'll drive the Thing in the winter.

Unfortunately for the Thing, my two buses have some work to do that are in front of it in "line."

The Thing is in the garage at the moment, but I bought a heavy duty tarp and will likely wrap it up and park it outside pretty soon so the '73 can come in the garage.

The Thing has very little rust at all other than some surface rust, so I've considered grinding that rust, and rattle canning the car until I can preserve it.

If that doesn't happen before summer, I'll probably just drive it again next summer and then hopefully next year I'll have a bigger place to do a real restoration of something in.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

I have a set of 40IDFs waiting to go on, and a new disk brake kit for the front. I may do ball joints at the same time. I may not get to it for a bit though, currently working on finishing a bathroom install in the garage.
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

Mine is getting a new paint job inside and out, new windshield, all new rubber, I have a rebuilt engine ready to go in when it comes back home. I am thinking of maybe doing front disk brakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

. . . I will be driving my vehicle, seeing that all of the work that I have identified has been completed, it has a new roof so no more water leaks, and it now has heat !! Really liking the BN-4 gas heater !!

I do have two minor issues, I installed at used speedometer in KM/HR that I picked up from The Samba classified section, the tripmemter is erratic, it shows I have driven almost 2000 KM, when at most I have driven maybe 100 KM. I can deal with it for know, and attempt to adjust sometime in the Spring. Second item is to get the horn working, I had to remove the bolts that hold the steering column in place to get the speedometer in, so most probably an adjustment issue.
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

Well, no top, but as long as the temp is over 50 and the sun is shining I will drive it. When I drove it last weekend, I noticed that my speedo quit working, so hopefully it just came loose at the spindle...
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

In Northern Ca it gets plenty cold, some times dipping down in to the low 40's at night. Already changed the front wheel studs from 12 mm to 14. Had 3 on the right and 2 on the left broken at the bottom of the hex wrench hole.. Working on the heater so I can scoot up to Tahoe, where does the gray wire go? Then going to change carburetor chokes from 32 to 36, along with corresponding main jets. Using the hot tub a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
For those in the northern climates who don't drive their things during the cold months...
What work do you plan on doing to your Thing during it's hibernation to make it better for the spring?

I already have the windshield out to polish and replace the seal, have a new Pertronix II to replace the 009 and tuning, replacing wheel studs, polishing rims, inspect/repack all wheel bearings, check/adjust brakes, align front end and I'm sure I'll run into more items to do during all that. Very Happy

Hey kenj06,

about the windshield,

I replaced my gasket seal a while back, due to leaks at the top of the window right at the rear view mirror.
Seems my gasket does a dip right at the mirror, which I believe is causing the leak.
New gasket, same deal. seal fits flush along the top part till you approach the mirror, does a slight dip (less than a 1/4 inch even) right at the mirror.

Someone at KT15 in TippCity OH, mentioned the window/seal isn't seated properly and suggested I remove the window & frame flip it upside down and firmly but gently try to push the window in further & or tap the entire thing on the floor till the glass & seal by the rear view mirror seat flush/flat like the rest of the window.

To me, it's almost like the rear view mirror spring/thingie in the frame that holds the mirror in the frame is the problem, not sure if it's off, bent or if I just don't have it seated proper.

Was curious if you run into the same issue when you replace yours.

don't have a handy photo to post but I can get one i'm sure.

That's the only gotcha I know of that I've seen on my THING, I noticed it on 1 or 2 others since but not many.
Used a Thingshop window seal too.
All at KT15 seemed to fit good from the photos I looked at.

I'm sorry I don't remember the guy's name I talked to at KT15 but he was with Mike Basso & friends I believe or knew him very well, he helped me find a few parts at Mikes table (little knick knack items for the interior).

Anyways see how it goes on the re-gasket and let us know please!

good luck!
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:

Hey kenj06,

about the windshield...

Thank you for the info doublecanister!
I'm replacing the gasket because it was cracked and falling out and then when I polished the windshield, it got pushed down into the frame. I have the ThingShop gasket.
I plan on polishing the windshield this weekend and depending on how that goes, may put it back together.
Did you use anything to help get it seated in the frame? soapy water, powder, silicone spray...?
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

cecil wrote:
In Northern Ca it gets plenty cold, some times dipping down in to the low 40's at night. Already changed the front wheel studs from 12 mm to 14. Had 3 on the right and 2 on the left broken at the bottom of the hex wrench hole.. Working on the heater so I can scoot up to Tahoe, where does the gray wire go? Then going to change carburetor chokes from 32 to 36, along with corresponding main jets. Using the hot tub a lot.
whoa low 40s!!LOL
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
doublecanister wrote:

Hey kenj06,

about the windshield...

Thank you for the info doublecanister!
I'm replacing the gasket because it was cracked and falling out and then when I polished the windshield, it got pushed down into the frame. I have the ThingShop gasket.
I plan on polishing the windshield this weekend and depending on how that goes, may put it back together.
Did you use anything to help get it seated in the frame? soapy water, powder, silicone spray...?

hey kenj06,

I don't think I used any lubricant on re-install, it didn't appear to be needed as my frame wasn't super tight at all, if anything it was very easy to get the window and gasket in -and - out, just could not get it to seat around the mirror and I didn't want to break the glass.

See how it goes, yours may slide in no problem.

I've gotten side tracked on a re-wire project on my 51' Ford truck so as soon as that's done I may re-pull the THING's windshield to try this fix again.

The guy that was explaining this to me said you could tap the entire window frame/glass and all on a flat surface and force it in, (like it needed a good smack to seat it) but honestly sounded to scary for me to try, i'd end up breaking my window with my luck.

Funny thing though, no one else seems to have had this issue or seems to have posted about it. Maybe someone will chime in. Question

Please don't break anything if you can help it!

But on the samba under Technical, there is a pdf on a THING windshield,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/thing_windshield.php
I've pondered getting a new one with some sun shade in it myself.
(I always get sunburnt driving the THING, no uv block in the glass I guess).

Keep us in the loop man and good luck, if you'rs don't seat right post and let's see if there is a fix for this.

Heck, I've even thought of using some "clamps" that would be long enough to pull the glass and the frame together in this area, that most surely could break the glass, but so could floor smaking it. Shocked

T
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the deal with the household CFO includes the use of the garage for the winter for her convertible. The Thing is hidden away about 10 miles from here in some very exotic company, Ferrari F40, F50, Enzo, a few AC Cobras, one of which was never painted just polished silver body, a one of a kind Acura NSX Bronze color with no miles, some Ford GT 40's. Many more I am sure don't need to be discussed publicly. I work with this guy who owns the building, and has some Kool connections nationally, he takes pity on me and lets me park there for the winter. Cool
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:

about the windshield...

hey kenj06,

I don't think I used any lubricant on re-install, it didn't appear to be needed as my frame wasn't super tight at all, if anything it was very easy to get the window and gasket in -and - out, just could not get it to seat around the mirror and I didn't want to break the glass.

See how it goes, yours may slide in no problem.

Well I was delayed putting the windshield in until this weekend. Wanted to paint the inside of the frame to protect it and just got warm enough now. It went in after a couple attempts and lots of soapy water. I don't have a gap at the mirror but I do have one at the wiper motor. I'm going to pull the motor and see if I can trim the gasket to clear it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For the gap at the mirror, is it possible that the spring that holds the mirror in place is out of place causing it to bow there?

I installed a Pertronix dizzy a couple months back and worked on timing. Found the carb accelerator pump was clogged, cleaned that, need to adjust carb now and get rid of the backfire.

Found why one of my front studs was loose, someone installed the wrong studs and used epoxy to keep it from going in too far. While I was in there, found my bearings need replaced.
Anyone know what would cause this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, with the stud and bearing problems, I decided it's a good time to upgrade to disc brakes in the front.

On to the rear bearings next...
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

hey kenj06,

weird, I didn't have any window gasket problems on the ww motor.
but you said what I've been thinking, like the gasket needs trimming a bit
on the inside where it goes in the channel...

I'm thinking what you saying about the mirror spring causing the gap.
it was like that on my old windshield gasket too.
Haven't pulled it back off yet to investigate.

About your carb clog.. I had similar issues, due to an OLD rusty gas tank
sealed with pre-ethanol safe tank sealer. New gas melted that stuff and ran it thru the carb with little brown bits of rust...may should check the interior of your tank. I used a flashlight and pulled the fuel sender out and viewed that way. Be safe here, you are exposing lotsa gas fumes and putting your face over the hole to look in. be careful!

as far as the wheel bearing, not seen one like that before.
But I did have a rear trail arm wheel bearing replaced, and still had play. ended up having to replace the arm, apparently that wheel spun a bearing long ago and expanded the seat the bearing sat in. new bearing had just as much play as the old one.

Note: I did get one of those tourq-master things to pull the nut on the rear wheels that's like apx 235lbs of torq. Think I got it from CIP1.
worked great!

Good luck. let me know if the gasket trim works please.

T
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
hey kenj06,

T

I removed the wiper motor last night to trim the gasket and maybe I just had the nut a little too tight as I was then able to push the gasket in without a problem.
I was looking at the torque multiplier, I can't ever remember taking one of the rear nuts off before.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Over the winter... Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
doublecanister wrote:
hey kenj06,

T

I removed the wiper motor last night to trim the gasket and maybe I just had the nut a little too tight as I was then able to push the gasket in without a problem.
I was looking at the torque multiplier, I can't ever remember taking one of the rear nuts off before.

cool at least you fixed it right? (about the ww motor area)

and yeah, those rear nuts holding the brake drums are super duper tight.
the torque multiplier worked nice.

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: