Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

02 Tacoma misfire issue
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

I have a 2002 Tacoma 4cyl. 2.4l, 190,000 miles. It has been giving me a strange issue for some time now. I get a misfire on one cylinder but only under a certain condition. It's always when I restart the truck after having been used earlier that day. It will then flash the check engine light and run on three cylinders for about 5 minutes. Then it runs fine. It won't do the problem for a few weeks then it will happen a lot for a few days, then nothing for a week to a month.

This has been happening for about a year. I had it looked at by Toyota a year ago and they tried switching coil packs but the problem stayed on the same cylinder. I just took it to the dealer again because for the first time ever it started misfiring almost all the time, even on the first start of the day. They now say it is the injector at fault.

I'm wondering if bad injectors act that way. I find it very strange that the problem would only occur on restart, and also that it would almost always last for about 5 minutes. Anyone with experience with injector problems know if this is a common issue? Anything else I should be looking at? I suspect more of an electrical issue?

Thanks for any help - I have an appt. Wednesday to get the injectors replaced but they want $200 a piece for Toyota injectors. I'd hate to shell out all that and have the same problem. I'd replace them myself but it's cold out and their labor charge is pretty low.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

If an injector dribbles when the engine is off (or cools down) it can basically flood the cylinder and cause that cylinder to misfire on the next start up. The misfire can occur until it clears out the extra fuel (or the injector heats and reseals) and the plug that was fuel fouled clears and dries off and begins to spark again.. Heat does help that.
So yes.. it's plausible.

Easy and cheap diagnosis without any parts required.
Swap the injector to another cylinder and see if it follows the injector.

Techron fuel additive is one of the best to help clear up injector issues.

Other possibilities, oil leaking down an open intake valve or even coolant entering a cylinder can can cause nearly the same symptoms.

Pulling the known cylinders spark plug that is misfiring during the misfire event can indicate a lot.
Fuel, Oil, Coolant on plugs are fairly easy to detect.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

I just pulled the plug on the bad cylinder after it was misfiring and the spark plug looked fine and was completely dry. I pulled another spark plug to compare and they looked identical. So it does seem the injector isn't firing. Question is whether it is the injector or electronic signal...

I'm going to try Techron fuel additive next.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

AS VWNut suggested a great test is simply to swap injectors between two cylinders and see if the problem follows the injector. That will also tell you whether it's the injector itself or an electrical issue. Free and fairly simple.
Did you ever get the code read? On a 2002 Tacoma, there is a "random misfire" code p0300, but then there are also cylinder-specific misfire codes (p0301 for cylinder 1, p0302 for cylinder 2, etc.) It would help to know what the error code says.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/toyota/1.8L/how-to-test-misfire-codes-1

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

Codes are p0300 and p0304
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

you need to get live data and watch it. pay attention to fuel trims.

or shotgun a bunch of parts at it. seems to be the way of the world these days.

got a Mercedes here now. guy just put 2,500 clamz in it doing all sorts of neat fuel related stuff. all junk from the interwebs.

found his problem in short order. needs a 90.00 TPS. but somehow I'm a crook for charging for diag, yet the other place took his money and never fixed a thing.

it is not uncommon to swap parts from cylinder to cylinder to see if a miss follows that injector/coil/plug etc...

be careful just going all rock star with a DVOM. ECM injector drivers are sensitive and may not like what your meter will do with them.

also if it has VVTi that will cause issues as well with misfires as the ECM is looking for advance/retard of the cam

use genuine parts.

you can pull the fuel rail and watch for drips, but it may be inconclusive if it fails to act up.

also, it eats time, you need to watch them like a hawk. a slight dribble may evaporate before it hits the rag

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

My friend has the same issue with the same truck. A mouse ate some of his engine wiring harness.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
My friend has the same issue with the same truck. A mouse ate some of his engine wiring harness.

Laughing ^... hahaha. they seem to like pink and orange colored wires the best around my area.

But...good point.. Applause ... A good visual inspection can go a LOOONG way..

If the plug is dry and no indication of any fouling.. suspect electrical but its still not definitive ...yet..
Its still could be an injector winding issue causing the driver to shut down or simply not open the injector.
If it were my own Id go slow.. rather than just playing parts darts..
300 is random misfire.
304 is cylinder #4 specific.
Id swap parts with cylinder #1.
OEM or NGK plugs only are the best.. I've pulled more Bosch Platinums and Champion out of engines than I care to remember..
Swap the plugs... then the injectors..
Lubricate the coil pack and injector terminals with a light coat die-electric grease and cycle the connectors 3 times to help clean off potential fretting..

When its my own... and my labor is free to me.. I have patience..
Slow and steady wins the race.. ..but I've won a many rounds of parts darts too before...

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
.. ..but I've won a many rounds of parts darts too before...

flat rate has that effect doesn't it Crying or Very sad

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
.. ..but I've won a many rounds of parts darts too....

flat rate has that effect doesn't it Crying or Very sad

As much as Id hate to admit it.. Definitely..
Usually and often edited
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 02 Tacoma misfire issue Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

That's interesting because just a few weeks ago I had a fuel line in the same area develop a leak that looked a lot like rodent damage...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: